Report: Cubs offer $45m/3 years to Schmidt

SoxFan562004

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/base...cubs/index.html

If it's true, a lot will come down to where he wants to play. It seems he already told east coast teams he wants to stay out west, but 15m a year may make it easier to live in Chicago.

It at least puts pressure on the West Coast teams to add a 4th year...

If true, I think this will get it done, unless he gives someone a hometown discount

(If I'm missing a thread on this, please merge ahead mods!!!)

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
I posted this in the MLB thread, but im sure it deserves its own.

Like I said before, he should make them a favorite to win their division. a 1-2 of Zambrano and Schmidt is pretty formadable, with a healthy Prior, they could dominate.

Yeah, if they get him, IMO, it's a WAY more important signing than Soriano. We'll see though, the article really doesn't say when this offer was made, and it says he already has rebuffed the Yanks, so he may really be interested in the west only. If that happens, then I would say he lands in Seattle.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
Zito must be asking for crazy dollars, because it would make more sense for the Cubs to add a lhp who has not had arm injuries. As compared to a RH power pitcher who has had some arm trouble.

I would be willing to bet that he is looking for 7-8 years which is the real deal breaker. I don't think anyone gets hooked into another Kevin Brown.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
By the way, nice of the Cubs to screw up the pitching market for everyone else as well.

I don't think this is a done deal yet, wouldn't be suprised if a team adds an extra year at something similar

In fact, the wording that they "offered" this to him and no mention that it was accepted either means it was a fresh offer or he turned it down. Teams don't often leave these offers on the table for a long time.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Are people seriously convinced that he'll manage to stay healthy for the next 3 years?

Maybe he won't, but if he does 2 of those years its a worth while move. Plus he's the type of guy, that barrin ga career ending injury, teams will be willing to trade him. I see this as a bargain considering the other deals being bantered around for starting pitching.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
By the way, nice of the Cubs to screw up the pitching market for everyone else as well.

Ive been saying the same thing on a couple of other boards. The Cubs have seeming Lit the Financial Spark and now everything is ridiculously overpriced .......... Theyre throwing him Roger Clemens money.

I hope he asks for 6 years and takes them to the cleaners ....