Pujols says MVP should be on playoff team

sox4lifeinPA

Snubbed

I never post in here, but I thought I'd bring this over from ESPN.com....

my favorite line:

Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP

and someone who's team barely made the post season after a near meltdown and himself spent two trips on the DL this season should shut his trap.

:crying Albert Poo-holes

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's right ya know, I don't think this is sour grapes just Albert Pujols stating his feelings on the MVP award.

I highly doubt Pujols has any feelings of resentment toward Mr. Howard seeing as how Albert already has 1 MVP and will likely walk away with atleast 5 more before his career is over.

I can see where he's coming from his argument is just crap. Pujols had a injury plagued season and Ryan Howard exceeded everyone's expectations. Ryan and Chase Utley single-handedly kept the phillies in any playoff contention.

I was at the game vs. the Yankees when Howard hit 3 homers. He's the kind of player that stood out above the rest and made his team better. He was the MVP. plain and simple.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
I can see where he's coming from his argument is just crap. Pujols had a injury plagued season and Ryan Howard exceeded everyone's expectations. Ryan and Chase Utley single-handedly kept the phillies in any playoff contention.

I was at the game vs. the Yankees when Howard hit 3 homers. He's the kind of player that stood out above the rest and made his team better. He was the MVP. plain and simple.

From what I remember Pujols only made 1 trip to the DL last year (missed only 16 games) and still managed to be the best player in baseball, lead his s***ty team to the playoffs and on to a World Series title. If the best position player in the game wants to talk about an award that should probably one day be named after him then I say go for it.

I don't see how a 16 game trip to the DL constitutes an "injury plagued season."

EDIT: For comparisons sake Pujols played in 143 games last season, Thome = 143, Dye = 146 and Iguchi = 138.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
I've never liked the, "Has to come from a playoff team" nonsense. It's not a player's fault that the rest of his team absolutely sucks.

While I don't think the award HAS to go to a player on a playoff team I don't disagree with it.

An MVP is the most important person on team, which he led to the playoffs. Howard did have a monster year, but Pujols should have got it.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Worst Award Ever.

It's the Most.Valuable.Player. Valuable.

How much value did Howard have for the Phills? Instead of 4th place they came in 2nd...

Cards without Albert finish behind the Reds......

It's easy. Have the MVP award, and have the best player award.

The Phillies won more games than the Cardinals. Howard should be penalized because his team plays in a better division? I think a player winning the war should be on a contender for the most part, but Pujols shouldn't get credit for his team playing in an awful division.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:06 AM)
His argument might of been reasonable if the Cards didnt have less wins than the Phillies...... Pujols has really done some things this last season that well... im not as big of a fan as before.

Exactly, the Phillies had 85 wins, the Cardinals had 83 wins. I don't think it matters what you do in they playoffs, it's a regular season award. And in head to head the Phillies went 4-2 against the Cardinals, not that it matters though.

Pujols should shut his f***ing mouth and be glad that a sad team like Detroit handed him a WS ring.

He was clearly on the worst team to ever win the World Series and had they not been in the pathetic NL Central (which we stomped basically every team in that division this past year), his team wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Philadelphia traded away arguably its best player in Bobby Abreu and made a run because of Ryan Howard.

He also had more HR and RBI than Albert.

I respect him as a great player, but I will no longer root for Pujols. What a f***ing baby.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Worst Award Ever.

It's the Most.Valuable.Player. Valuable.

How much value did Howard have for the Phills? Instead of 4th place they came in 2nd...

Cards without Albert finish behind the Reds......

It's easy. Have the MVP award, and have the best player award.

That's such a stupid argument. Give it to the best player, period. I don't see how people turn it into most valuable 'to the team'. At that point it doesn't become an individual award, but an award based on many other factors.

Are you telling me if a guy hit 150 home runs with 300 rbis one year and his team missed the playoffs, he wouldn't be the most valuable player? Please.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
No, I'm not telling you that, you typed it.

There are obviously exceptions to every rule, but in a case of 2006, when the numbers were semi similar, I look at the player that was most valuable to his team, like the award says.

Don't like it? Then change the name of the award.

How was Pujols more valuable though? Howard led his teams to more wins when his team traded their franchise player.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
No, I'm not telling you that, you typed it.

There are obviously exceptions to every rule, but in a case of 2006, when the numbers were semi similar, I look at the player that was most valuable to his team, like the award says.

Don't like it? Then change the name of the award.

Since when does it say most valuable to his team? It says valuable, period. You don't need to change the name of the award, i think everyone knows what it stands for.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
Pujols should shut his f***ing mouth and be glad that a sad team like Detroit handed him a WS ring.

He was clearly on the worst team to ever win the World Series and had they not been in the pathetic NL Central (which we stomped basically every team in that division this past year), his team wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Philadelphia traded away arguably its best player in Bobby Abreu and made a run because of Ryan Howard.

He also had more HR and RBI than Albert.

I respect him as a great player, but I will no longer root for Pujols. What a f***ing baby.

Did you even bother to read the article? It's amazing that an athlete can't say anything these days without being destroyed by fans. It's funny that people complain because Pujols doesn't talk to the media a lot and doesn't often open up to the public then the one time he decides to answer a question honestly he gets s*** on. It's pretty sad really.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
Did you even bother to read the article? It's amazing that an athlete can't say anything these days without being destroyed by fans. It's funny that people complain because Pujols doesn't talk to the media a lot and doesn't often open up to the public then the one time he decides to answer a question honestly he gets s*** on. It's pretty sad really.

Yes I read it and now I know why he doesn't talk to the media. Dumbass comments like the one he made.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)

f***ing preach on