Gagne anyone?

My Dixie Normus

Gagne is a huge risk and a physical disaster at this point. If he could be had at a cheap (incentive based?) price, he'd be worth a try, but any team counting on him for innings or god forbid saves next year is going up against some pretty steep odds.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is Dotel asking for? He might be a better bet (but possibly more money?)

He would be to our team what Dustin Hermanson was last year. If we could get him for a nice incentive package and minimal base he would be a very nice addition to the bullpen. Imagine, Gagne/Thorton/Mac setting up Jenks. 7th, 8th and 9th inning would be lights out!!!! With the inning eating pitchers that we have we would have to rely less on Logan and Aardsma. Imagine... SP (going 6 innings) go to Thorton/Mac in the 7th and Gagne in the 8th. Close it up with Jenks. Also, he would be a decent backup closer in the event that Jenks has a returning hip irritation next season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Rumor has it Gagne was looking for a 1 year $10 million deal...

With his type on injury how could he realistically expect that much? Possibly signing him to an incentive laden contract makes sense, but I question whether the Sox have an interest.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
With his type on injury how could he realistically expect that much? Possibly signing him to an incentive laden contract makes sense, but I question whether the Sox have an interest.

I doubt the Sox have any interest at that price, but supposedly that is what he is asking for.

On the pitching front, hard-throwers such as Heilman and Lidge are far more inexpensive and much less of a risk than, say, Eric Gagne, said to be seeking a one-year, $10 million commitment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2669360

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)

I have no idea how he could realistically expect anyone to give him even close to that amount. But I didn't expect Soriano to get $17+mil a year for 8 years either. This market is doing screwy things right now, so I wouldn't rule anything out. With his injury, he'll probably do like Thomas did last year...wait until the end and see what the largest deal he can get is.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)

Sure, I'd be willing to pay Gagne $10 million....if he met numerous performance incentives within a contract.

Such language would include: 12K/9IP, minimum of 70 innings, .baa under .200. Essentially, statistics experienced from 2002-2004 which may have warranted such a salary.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Sure, I'd be willing to pay Gagne $10 million....if he met numerous performance incentives within a contract.

Such language would include: 12K/9IP, minimum of 70 innings, .baa under .200. Essentially, statistics experienced from 2002-2004 which may have warranted such a salary.

If it was as a closer, then yes.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
If it was as a closer, then yes.

Wheter Gagne is setting up or closing, he reasonably duplicates his numbers from 2002 - 2004 it shouldn't matter. If he's putting up dominating stats and not closing, it must mean Jenks is pitching even better. Talk about a shutdown pen.