What about Shannon Stewart??

ILoveThisGAme

If he could stay healthy, he would be a very good option as a #2 hitter and LF. But he really doesn't solve the problem of Ozzie wanting a lot more speed, and more importantly, he is a big injury risk.

If he could convince Schuler and KW that he could stay healthy, it might work out. Jermaine Dye managed to convince them of that, and it worked out pretty well...but I have difficulty believing he'll be able to do that.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
Isn't he a butcher in LF?

Nah hes a solid outfielder he always has a good fielding %, its just the injury risk. Word on the twins board is he is looking for some new shock therapy on his injured foot or something. He would be awsome for us if healthy, I would be in favor of a minor league deal, small risk high reward possility.

Actually over the past few seaons he's been insanely brutal in LF and it seems that most teams consider him to be a DH only after his trouble with plantas fasciitis last season. In other words, at this point in his career he's probably worse defensively than Scott Podsednik.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Nah hes a solid outfielder he always has a good fielding %, its just the injury risk. Word on the twins board is he is looking for some new shock therapy on his injured foot or something. He would be awsome for us if healthy, I would be in favor of a minor league deal, small risk high reward possility.

Shockwave therapy while not new is not FDA approved. It is an experimental unit that is gaining popularity in the US. It uses sound wave to create microtrauma to an area that has become scat tissue from chronic inflammation. It essentially causes bleeding in scar tissue to begin a healing process that couldn't start before. Early research is positive.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Didn't Magglio use a form of shock therapy when he got his knee treated overseas?

there are two forms a low dose used mostly for treating soft tissue and a high dose used for bone. Mags had the high dose version. The difference is that the part of the bone treated in Magg's knee is that it is trying to cause microtraume to stimulate healing in tissue which doesn't heal well, the articular cartilage. In Stewart's case the plantar fascia has a greater capability for healingl.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Something to think about with Stewart: The turf he has been playing on is not good for anyone with injuries, especially foot injuries. Playing on a more forgiving field like ours actually reduces the injury risk IMO.

True. But I still don't know if I would trust it.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Really I am getting more convinced that Pods will be back in LF and we will use Anderson or Owens in CF with the other being the #4 OF'er along with guys like Ozuna and Gload once in awhile at LF.

Unless we do something radical like trade for crawford or something I think we are gonna stay pat with Pods and other in house guys. Even though im desperate for an upgrade, espeically against lefties, I dont want to pay any free agents huge sums to play LF. I think our in house options and Pods at 3 Mil are way better options than anything out there besides crawford.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
Really I am getting more convinced that Pods will be back in LF and we will use Anderson or Owens in CF with the other being the #4 OF'er along with guys like Ozuna and Gload once in awhile at LF.

Yep, and we're going to really regret not upgrading our LF position. It's amazing to me that people would even consider bringing Pods back for around 3 million when he's an absolutely worthless player.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
Yep, and we're going to really regret not upgrading our LF position. It's amazing to me that people would even consider bringing Pods back for around 3 million when he's an absolutely worthless player.

I think I'd rather have Pods for 3 mil than Pierre for 9 million or Roberts for 5.5 mil. Especially when we've got several players who could command big contracts in the upcoming years (Crede, Buehrle, Dye if we choose to re-sign any of them).

I'm not particularly thrilled at the idea of another season of Podsednik, but then again, I'm not willing to pay the money for the guys who were on the market and there aren't a lot of leadoff guys I'd trade for outside of Carl Crawford and some of the other elite leadoff guys, which are often mentioned on here, but are pipedreams in reality.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
TWIW, but Peter Gammons has reported that KW has been discussing Ramirez with Theo Epstein. If the White Sox have the ability to take on Manny's contract, I can't understand why they would not spend that money on pitching AND a better OF.

The White Sox still have a ton of pitching. An ungodly young, quality bullpen, 6 starting pitchers, one of whom makes the minimum, 4 of whom are under White Sox control through the end of 2008.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TWIW, but Peter Gammons has reported that KW has been discussing Ramirez with Theo Epstein. If the White Sox have the ability to take on Manny's contract, I can't understand why they would not spend that money on pitching AND a better OF.

Would you rather give $60 million to Manny Ramirez, or $30-50 million for trash like Gary Matthews Jr., Pierre, Eaton, and Meche etc ?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
The White Sox still have a ton of pitching. An ungodly young, quality bullpen, 6 starting pitchers, one of whom makes the minimum, 4 of whom are under White Sox control through the end of 2008.

I don't know how the bullpen can be considered "quality" after 2006. Thornton has had 1 good season now. It wasn't long ago that this board was bbqing him after his first outing in Tucson. MacDougal most likely will get injured, he seems to almost every season. Jenks ERA was higher than Todd Jones, and we were all making fun of the Tigers for having Todd Jones as their closer. Aardsma has been given up on by 2 organizations now. He was part of a deal for LaTroy Hawkins, and he got traded for a guy who couldn't get anyone out at the end of his White Sox career in Neal Cotts. Haeger hasn't proven anything yet, and KW was on the airwaves the other day singing the praises of one Boone Logan who for the most part has been a gas can in the major leagues. All 6 of the starters have issues as well. Obviously at least 1 is going to go. I hope at least 2 go. Its amazing how much more highly this pitching staff is thought of after not having watch them throw meatballs up to the plate for a couple of months.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how the bullpen can be considered "quality" after 2006. Thornton has had 1 good season now. It wasn't long ago that this board was bbqing him after his first outing in Tucson. MacDougal most likely will get injured, he seems to almost every season. Jenks ERA was higher than Todd Jones, and we were all making fun of the Tigers for having Todd Jones as their closer. Aardsma has been given up on by 2 organizations now. He was part of a deal for LaTroy Hawkins, and he got traded for a guy who couldn't get anyone out at the end of his White Sox career in Neal Cotts. Haeger hasn't proven anything yet, and KW was on the airwaves the other day singing the praises of one Boone Logan who for the most part has been a gas can in the major leagues. All 6 of the starters have issues as well. Obviously at least 1 is going to go. I hope at least 2 go. Its amazing how much more highly this pitching staff is thought of after not having watch them throw meatballs up to the plate for a couple of months.

Thornton has always had high praise for his talent and stuff. He attributes his turn around to Cooper and ozzie giving him more opportunities.

MacDougal is still a quality pitcher with nasty stuff, but I agree that he is a health risk.

Jenks is a better pitcher than Jones, and his ERA was inflated due to a poor stretch during the last 3 weeks. (it was 3.36 on September 4th.) A period of time which you call Freddy's positive stats meaningless. That's hypocritical. Oh yeah, Bobby's ERA was a whopping .06 higher than Jones'. :rolly

Cotts has been "given up" by two organizations as well. The only difference is that Cotts was traded by two smart GMs.

Haeger didn't show you anything last September? :huh: Of course if he pitched like Cotts you would've made the point on how much he sucks.

Logan has a long way to go, but he is still very young.

McCarthy is a starting pitcher, and will not be in the bullpen in 2007

Nobody saw Buehrle's 2006 coming

Garcia had a little down year, but despite what some nimrods preach, he was still effective.

Contreras had some great stretches and some awful stretches. His bad stretches involved his health being questioned, so at least it isn't a mental problem like in New York.

Vazquez-same thing, different team. He can still be an effective #4.

Garland started off horrible, didn't get his ERA under 5.00 until late July, but put up numbers comparable to Garcia. I think the Sox could get a lot for Jon and I don't think he'll win 18 games again next year by pitching as his career norms unless the Sox add Manny Ramirez. :D

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Would you rather give $60 million to Manny Ramirez, or $30-50 million for trash like Gary Matthews Jr., Pierre, Eaton, and Meche etc ?

No. I'd rather have Manny. But I'd rather give Dye $50 million and use the other $10 million on the bullpen or Crede. Dye can play defense and is a good clubhouse guy. Now if the Sox plan on keeping both Dye and Ramirez...damn. There would be some interesting Manny vs Ozzie confrontations. Perhaps Manny could pay for himself with a White Sox reality TV show. I'm sure that wouldn't be a distraction.