ATM system called unsafe

aboz56

I work for JPMorgan Chase at Inbound Security and Fraud. ATMs are terrible, especially ATMs overseas. People hack them overseas and rip off unsuspecting victims and are never identified, people change PIN numbers on other peoples accounts and drain their accounts in a matter of minutes, its really bad.

Of course, those very same People getting ripped off want their money, right now, when they want it, and dont want to wait.

QUOTE(beautox @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 05:30 AM)
but in all seriousness I don't think Visa and the rest of the "payments industry" would let criminal organizations undermine the global economy.

If it cost them money to prevent it...I wouldn't be so sure.

Anyway, I guess it's probably going to be left up to me to point out that many of the same companies who design and build and sell these ATM systems are the same companies who are designing and building and selling the electronic voting machines that many places are now using.

Any system involving the electronic transfer of information is dangerous. Credit card purchases, emails, bank transfers, even regular paper mail is dangerous, s*** walking your check to the bank was dangerous back in the day. Basically you could write this story about any of those subjects and just interchange the title

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
Any system involving the electronic transfer of information is dangerous. Credit card purchases, emails, bank transfers, even regular paper mail is dangerous, s*** walking your check to the bank was dangerous back in the day. Basically you could write this story about any of those subjects and just interchange the title

I think what's probably most noteworthy about this story is that it has the potential to affect a much larger group than anything else you cite (except the NSA). And it's compounded by the fact that banks go to extraordinary lengths to prevent people from being able to recover losses if they're stolen via a debit card.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
If it cost them money to prevent it...I wouldn't be so sure.

Anyway, I guess it's probably going to be left up to me to point out that many of the same companies who design and build and sell these ATM systems are the same companies who are designing and building and selling the electronic voting machines that many places are now using.

You're exactly right, Diebold being one of them. They do a range of security services for banks from Vaults and locks to ATM Machines.