Bars I want to visit

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
http://www.cooterbrowns.com/index.html

I believe that even brewmasters like FlaSoxxJim will find a suitable beverage from their limited, but well choosen, beer list. They even have Miller Lite :P

You are correct. I know and love Cooter Browns. I've been to nawlins three times and it's been a high point every trip.

It's right on the St. Charles Streetcar line so it's a great way to tour the historic Garden district. Maybe the best Sunday of my life was in nawlins on our honeymoon. We had breakfast at Brennan's. You haven't lived until you've spent $27.50 for eggs. To be fair though, mine had rainbow trout on them and my wife's had a mountain of lump crabmeat on hers. Couple of milk rum punches and a dessert of Bananas Foster, and then we took the streetcar through Garden and past Tulane to Audubon Zoo. Hung with the animals for a few and then walked to Cooter Brown's, whereupon I proceeded to eat more gumbo and boiled crawfish than any human should and lose myself in Beervana.

Damn good rock band that night too.

Absolutely worth the trip.

:cheers

Edit to add: We did not happen to stumble on Coooters. Before we started cranking out the kids, we pretty much took our vacations around various beer destinations, and Cooters and the Crescent Ciity Brewpub were on the Honeymoon itinerary. Is it any coincidence I married a fellow craft beer lover? :lol:

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
You are correct. I know and love Cooter Browns. I've been to nawlins three times and it's been a high point every trip.

It's right on the St. Charles Streetcar line so it's a great way to tour the historic Garden district. Maybe the best Sunday of my life was in nawlins on our honeymoon. We had breakfast at Brennan's. You haven't lived until you've spent $27.50 for eggs. To be fair though, mine had rainbow trout on them and my wife's had a mountain of lump crabmeat on hers. Couple of milk rum punches and a dessert of Bananas Foster, and then we took the streetcar through Garden and past Tulane to Audubon Zoo. Hung with the animals for a few and then walked to Cooter Brown's, whereupon I proceeded to eat more gumbo and boiled crawfish than any human should and lose myself in Beervana.

Damn good rock band that night too.

Absolutely worth the trip.

:cheers

Edit to add: We did not happen to stumble on Coooters. Before we started cranking out the kids, we pretty much took our vacations around various beer destinations, and Cooters and the Crescent Ciity Brewpub were on the Honeymoon itinerary. Is it any coincidence I married a fellow craft beer lover? :lol:

I have been to Cooter's a few times as well. My best friend went to Tulane and when I'd visit, that would be one of the stops. I also went to N'awlins for my bachelor party in April and stopped by Cooter's for a beer or 8.

Word of caution though, the St. Charles Streetcar line is not back up and running yet. But the buses are...if you intend on going.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
I have been to Cooter's a few times as well. My best friend went to Tulane and when I'd visit, that would be one of the stops. I also went to N'awlins for my bachelor party in April and stopped by Cooter's for a beer or 8.

Word of caution though, the St. Charles Streetcar line is not back up and running yet. But the buses are...if you intend on going.

On my last visit, I made the walk (OK, the sloppy drunk stumble) back to the far end of the Quarter from Cooter's and it was perfectly enjoyable. Gave me time to enjoy a good cigar, drool over the good aromas coming out of Commander's Palace (best turtle soup in the universe, btw), and to stop off for a few at Lafite's Blacksmith Shop. Citywide open container allowances make any hike around town enjoyable.

Lafite's is another great NOLA bar that is not to be missed. Lit by torchlite, the place has no electricity in the customer area but great music and atmosphere. It's on Bourbon across the Quarter from the historic Storyville district, and caddycorner to the other Lafite's which is quite the rollicking alternative-lifestyle bar. I enjoy telling people to meet me at Lafite's on Bourbon but to neglect telling them there are two different places.

I would also intentiaonally send PA to the other Lafite's simply for the fun of it. :P

The bar in New Orleans I really liked was a really small bar at the corner of Bourbon and Tolouse. It was called 544 Club and featured a band called Gary Brown & Feelings. They play a combo style of soul, funk and jazz that was great (or Smooth jazz and jazz fusion with cuts of R&B and funk, featuring sizzling saxophone as listed on an ad for one of his albums). It was never too crowded (unlike most every other bar on Bourbon St.) yet high energy. They played some covers but a lot of original stuff as well.

I was partying with a couple of friends from Chicago. One of them, somehow managed to talk Gary into letting him come up on stage and they rocked Sweet Home Chicago with my buddy Ed doing the lead vocal. We went back two nights later and Gary came and grabbed Ed and pulled him onstage to do it again. It was perfect because it was high energy yet intimate rather than the normal assholes to elbows like every other Bourbon Street club.

You can sample some of his music at the link below. His website says they play at Papa Joe's Cafe at Bourbon and Tolouse now, so I am wondering if it is the same place with a name change after Katrina. I'd definitely recommend stopping in if ever in New Orleans, even if you just need a break for an hour from the other clubs.

Gary Brown & Feelings

Edited by Rex Hudler

I went to the 2002 Superbowl in New Orleans between the Patriots and Rams, and I thought there were some great bars, and most of them had "Absinthe" in their name. One night we walked it seemed for 15 minutes down Bourbon st and got to this bar that was the definition of Ye Olde Taverne.

One bar I really want to visit before I die is the bar that inspired Cheers.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
I went to the 2002 Superbowl in New Orleans between the Patriots and Rams, and I thought there were some great bars, and most of them had "Absinthe" in their name. One night we walked it seemed for 15 minutes down Bourbon st and got to this bar that was the definition of Ye Olde Taverne.

One bar I really want to visit before I die is the bar that inspired Cheers.

The Bull and Finch. Go in the afternoon or it will be too packed to be enjoyable. Bunch of great bars (and some good brewpubs) in Boston as well, so Bull and Finch is worth checking out as long as you are there. The best beer bar in Boston, hands-down, is Anam Cara Publick House on Beacon. It was voted best beer bar in America in 2005 by Beer Advocate and it's one of the top two American beer bars I've ever been to in my life (which has been quite a few). You have to like the bekgian stuff to fully appreciate it, but it's beergasm and beervana rolled into one. Kid Gleason would go in and never come out again!

Check out these offerings. And that's just on draught.