Scott Podsednik Re-Signs with White Sox

Colorado Sox Fan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
My fearless prediction is that the 2007 team will feature Pods in LF, Alomar as backup catcher, Sweeney/Owens in CF, and either Vazquez or Garland traded to Texas for minor league closer Nick Masset. And a 4th place finish.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong on any of this.

Wow...such pessmism.

Let me take a look at my calendar......yes, Dec. 1st. Winter meetings haven't started yet. Schmidt and Zito still to sign...not going to make a judgement on anything that hasn't been done yet.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
My fearless prediction is that the 2007 team will feature Pods in LF, Alomar as backup catcher, Sweeney/Owens in CF, and either Vazquez or Garland traded to Texas for minor league closer Nick Masset. And a 4th place finish.

Yep, it seems like we're going to have Sandy as our back-up catcher. I said this a week ago, but I had the way this offseason is going so far. I still hold out hope that something good will happen at the winter meetings, but everything seems to be going against the Sox in terms of the moves they'd like to make.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
:o

He's the baseball equivalent of the Hardy Boyz.

Wow...such pessmism.

Let me take a look at my calendar......yes, Dec. 1st. Winter meetings haven't started yet. Schmidt and Zito still to sign...not going to make a judgement on anything that hasn't been done yet.

Apparently you're not going to make a judgment on anything that HAS happened either.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
Yep, it seems like we're going to have Sandy as our back-up catcher. I said this a week ago, but I had the way this offseason is going so far. I still hold out hope that something good will happen at the winter meetings, but everything seems to be going against the Sox in terms of the moves they'd like to make.

He's the baseball equivalent of the Hardy Boyz.

Who do the Sox take off the 40-man roster then?

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)

If only there was some sort of machine that prevented people from posting if their brain activity wasn't high enough. I can hope.

The off-season hasn't even seen the Winter Meetings and people around here are preparing for the apocalypse. And what the f*** are you even talking about Vazquez/Garland for Masset? Last time I checked, he wasn't even the main piece of ANY rumor regarding to the Rangers. And where would Anderson go? What would we get for him?

Jesus, some of you really need to take a break from posting for a while and go outside or something.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Yep....and that 8/9/1 is one of the main reasons that we didn't make the playoffs last year.

The pitching being absolutely brutal is the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year.

The pitching being excellent in 2005 is why we even got into the playoffs, and then why we dominated in the playoffs. If the pitching had only been substantially worse last year than in 05 we would have made the playoffs, but instead it was drastically worse. Great pitching carries subpar offensive team into the playoffs. Really bad pitching causes an excellent offensive team to not be able to make the playoffs.

If only there was some sort of machine that prevented people from posting if their brain activity wasn't high enough. I can hope.

YOU really shouldn't hope for that kind of machine.

Jesus, some of you really need to take a break from posting for a while and go outside or something.

Physician, heal thy self.

I just think it's crude to say, "Christmas has come early for teenage fat girls" after Podsednik re-signs.

Why? Teenage fat girls are the only people who got anything out of this signing (other than Pods).

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
The pitching being absolutely brutal is the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year.

The pitching being excellent in 2005 is why we even got into the playoffs, and then why we dominated in the playoffs. If the pitching had only been substantially worse last year than in 05 we would have made the playoffs, but instead it was drastically worse. Great pitching carries subpar offensive team into the playoffs. Really bad pitching causes an excellent offensive team to not be able to make the playoffs.

That's the thing....our offense wasn't excellent during the 2nd half of the season. I'm pretty sure it was in the bottom 50 pct of the offenses in MLB during the second half.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
I just think it's crude to say, "Christmas has come early for teenage fat girls" after Podsednik re-signs.

We've been joking about this for almost a year now. Have you ever been to a wrestling event where every single female that is slighty overweight has a Matt Hardy sign? That's how it feels to go to a Sox game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
That's the thing....our offense wasn't excellent during the 2nd half of the season. I'm pretty sure it was in the bottom 50 pct of the offenses in MLB during the second half.

We've been joking about this for almost a year now. Have you ever been to a wrestling event where every single female that is slighty overweight has a Matt Hardy sign? That's how it feels to go to a Sox game.

16th out of 30 teams after the all-star break in 2006.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)

The off-season hasn't even seen the Winter Meetings and people around here are preparing for the apocalypse. And what the f*** are you even talking about Vazquez/Garland for Masset? Last time I checked, he wasn't even the main piece of ANY rumor regarding to the Rangers. And where would Anderson go? What would we get for him?

Its a Soxtalk tradition. I expect nothing more out of this results now crowd.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)

There's some hot pods fans...you're not giving our female fanbase enough credit...

I apologize to any overweight, teenage girl that is in this thread. Now put down the Krispy Kreme, and go run on the treadmill. You have a full season ahead of screaming for every Podsednik grounder to the first baseman. Time to get in shape!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)

It's more about the current market and the trends than it is what has actually happened. If you listen to KW, he even seems shocked about what is happening. I don't think we'll only get a minor league reliever if we trade a starter though. I'll give KW more credit than that.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
I'm not even going to get into why it's crude to make fun of fat teenage girls.

Come on, it's a joke.

Fair enough. And I expect nothing more than "hey guys, everything's going to be just fine" from the homer/apologist crowd.

Personally, I'm not writing off this offseason or the 2007 season. I'm just commenting on what I've seen so far, and the Cotts trade wasn't good and this signing stinks to high heaven. KW has a lot of room for improvement this offseason.

Yawn. I thought we all kind of expected this move?

I'll b**** when I see Pods in LF to start in 2007. A LOT can happen from then on, so I'll save myself from looking like an idiot now...

This signing sucks now. Whether he is the starting LF or not, giving a horrible player $2.9 million is a waste. Spending that on a decent player or even pocketing it and spending it on the draft makes a hell of a lot more sense.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Fair enough. And I expect nothing more than "hey guys, everything's going to be just fine" from the homer/apologist crowd.

Personally, I'm not writing off this offseason or the 2007 season. I'm just commenting on what I've seen so far, and the Cotts trade wasn't good and this signing stinks to high heaven. KW has a lot of room for improvement this offseason.

This signing sucks now. Whether he is the starting LF or not, giving a horrible player $2.9 million is a waste. Spending that on a decent player or even pocketing it and spending it on the draft makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Exactly. There is NO REASON to sign Podsednik because every team in baseball has mimimum salary guys that can do a better job of being a MLB player than Scott Podsednik.

He has no value, and now, instead of pencilling in Ross Gload or Sweeney, who will give you at least what Pods will for the major league minimum, the Sox have given a worthless ballplayer 3 million dollars that could have spend on any number of things usefull to winning.

What a waste, I really hope there is a trade coming.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
I apologize to any overweight, teenage girl that is in this thread. Now put down the Krispy Kreme, and go run on the treadmill. You have a full season ahead of screaming for every Podsednik grounder to the first baseman. Time to get in shape!

:lol:

ohsnap.jpg

Fathom is on fire today.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
16th out of 30 teams after the all-star break in 2006.

Yes, and 10th in the AL. Sox were 9th in the AL over the whole year in 05.

So while the offense went from the best to mediocre over the course of the season, the pitching went from bad to worse- 23rd in MLB in the second half.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
i'll take my chance with pods for 1 year, 2.9 than with roberts for 3-5 mil for 3 yrs.

Me too. Sox may still make a move in LF but at 2.9, they should be able to move him somewhere if need be. It reminds me of when the Sox had to choose what to do with Ben Davis. They ended up upgrading to AJ, but at the time they had to make sure the position was covered first. Now, KW can just tell teams he is dealing with that he will just stick with Pods unless the offer is to his liking.