Scott Podsednik Re-Signs with White Sox

Colorado Sox Fan

What a waste, I really hope there is a trade coming.

Agreed. I just don't think anyone is going to be interested in trading for Pods when he costs $2.9 million. That kind of non-production is barely worth league minimum. Someone mentioned that signing him allows him to be used as a trade throw-in. How does "throwing in" Pods and his $2.9 million salary make a trade look any better to another team? Pods and his salary is a liability, not an asset.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and 10th in the AL. Sox were 9th in the AL over the whole year in 05.

So while the offense went from the best to mediocre over the course of the season, the pitching went from bad to worse- 23rd in MLB in the second half.

With below average hitting and pitching, it kind of makes one wonder how we won 90 games. It also makes me wonder if we should expect better from the 2007 team if we essentially stand pat.

Great another year of Prancer. Just what I needed to see.

He will never get subbed unless its a tough lefty, because Ozzie loves his diminutive speed guys with no tools up at the top. The only thing worse would be to sign Timo Perez.

Well, the offseason is far from over...

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Me too. Sox may still make a move in LF but at 2.9, they should be able to move him somewhere if need be. It reminds me of when the Sox had to choose what to do with Ben Davis. They ended up upgrading to AJ, but at the time they had to make sure the position was covered first. Now, KW can just tell teams he is dealing with that he will just stick with Pods unless the offer is to his liking.

I don't buy that line of arguing. The position is not "covered". This isn't football where you need "x" amount at every position.

Anyone on the roster could currently fill in for Scott Podsednik and do a better job: Gload, Mackowiak, etc.

This is a wasted 3 million dollars, there is no other way to look at it.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
With below average hitting and pitching, it kind of makes one wonder how we won 90 games. It also makes me wonder if we should expect better from the 2007 team if we essentially stand pat.

Well, the offseason is far from over...

After the allstar break we went into lift and pull mode as a team. AJ went from hitting well over 300, to hitting in the low 200s. He was the most telling on changing his approach at the plate. Something needs to be done about this teams lack of smarts in the 2nd half when the pressure gets on, and the temp heats up. Every person we bring to this team, becomes Mr. Homer. The part plays to home run strenghts that is true, but you dont need to become a lift and pull hitter to get that to happen. If you put a good swing on the ball, it will carry out. You dont need to hit it 400 feet to have it leave. Yet everytime in crucial situations, we had hitters swinging for the fences, How many times did we see AJ who was clutch all 1st half, falling over trying to hit a dong when all we needed was a single to drive in the run from second. If this team hits what is given to them, they can lead the league in offense. If they get into pull only mode, then every single team just like the last few years will start featuring only low and away pitching and will shut this team down. Remember the formula for years was throw low and away and bounce a breaking ball in the opposing batters box and you will 2 hit the team through the 5th inning.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
Agreed. I just don't think anyone is going to be interested in trading for Pods when he costs $2.9 million. That kind of non-production is barely worth league minimum. Someone mentioned that signing him allows him to be used as a trade throw-in. How does "throwing in" Pods and his $2.9 million salary make a trade look any better to another team? Pods and his salary is a liability, not an asset.

if guys like pierre mathews roberts etc hadnt gotten the amount of money they did, pods would probably have gotten 1.5-2mil, which he is worth at the most

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
Fair enough. And I expect nothing more than "hey guys, everything's going to be just fine" from the homer/apologist crowd.

I expect nothing more from the "sky is falling" crowd who finds reasons to throw temper tantrums about anything and everything that happens around this team.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Honestly, I can't see a team being interested in trading for Pods at that price. To me, it looks like Pods is here for 2007.

Juan Pierre is making 9 million dollars a year and 45 over the next 5. Is he a better player than Pods? Sure. Is he 6 million dollars better than Pods for a season? Hell no. 2.9 mill for Pods is not bad at all, I know a lot of people hate Pods but this is certainly a good value sign, though I know most will disagree.

EDIT: And a 2.9 million dollar price tag for one season for a team that needs a leadoff hitter certainly isn't going to scare anyone away.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
With below average hitting and pitching, it kind of makes one wonder how we won 90 games.

By having the best offense in baseball carry us in the first half to the second best record in baseball, while Detroit's pitching staff carried it to the best record. Then having a sub-.500 second half. That will take a potentially 100+ win team and let them coast to 90 wins.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
I don't buy that line of arguing. The position is not "covered". This isn't football where you need "x" amount at every position.

Anyone on the roster could currently fill in for Scott Podsednik and do a better job: Gload, Mackowiak, etc.

This is a wasted 3 million dollars, there is no other way to look at it.

So when KW is dealing with Tampa or the Angels to trade for Crawford or Figgins or any potential upgrade to lead off for the Sox, now KW has a bit more leverage in negotiations because he could always keep Pods. Some team will want Pods for 2.9 million. Pierre is making 9 million a year for goodness sake. The Sox have several players who can play left field. They do not have any speedy lead off men to replace Pods and other teams know just as well as we do that Ozzie wants one. Please don't say Owens or Iguchi.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
I expect nothing more from the "sky is falling" crowd who finds reasons to throw temper tantrums about anything and everything that happens around this team.

Especially when, ultimately, this "happening" has zero bearing on whether or not he's with the team next year.

It says one thing only - that KW isn't stupid. You can't trade what you don't have. If you trade for an LF, then they may want one back, if only temporarily. And like Rotoworld said, at $2.9M, someone will want him.

Its December 1st for crying out loud.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
If Scott Podsednik is on this team in anything more than a 4th OFer role, this offseason will be a failed one. There's a reason this guy wasn't getting full-time ABs till age 27. He's a bad baseball player who is still, somehow living off of his 2003 season.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions. I don't think Podsednik's chances of being our starting LFer in 2007 were made any worse/better because of today's signing. If anything, it could mean that KW believes there's a market for Podsednik, and that he doesn't have to ditch him for nothing.

I think the bigger news is that the Sox aren't offering Riske arbitration. At SSS, we came to the conclusion that Riske will probably get about $3 million (probably slightly less) in arbitration if it came down to it. It's an easy chance for the Sox to pickup a top 50 pick in the draft, and if not, I don't think Riske would be untradeable, considering how much guys like Chad Bradford and LaTroy Hawkins are getting.

I don't mind the idea that the manager should have some say over the roster, and it seems Ozzie's #1 desire is a guy who steals 40+ bases each year, no matter how many times he gets thrown out or picked off. I don't agree with him, but I'm resigned to it. Suppose you're KW, and this is the one thing that Ozzie absolutely insists on. What do you do? You can resign Pods, you can count on Owens, you can sign Pierre for boatloads of money, or you can trade for Figgins or (I don't see it but since the name has come up) Young. If Figgins and Young are both too expensive to get (their teams demand Crede for Figgins, or McCarthy for Young, say), which is the best remaining option? I'm not sure Pods isn't the best bad choice.

I think we agree that this is a stupid choice to have to make, but Ozzie's not going anywhere, so what is the best option if you have to have a player who runs?

I'm really surprised about Riske. That's just a bad move.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
Honestly, I can't see a team being interested in trading for Pods at that price. To me, it looks like Pods is here for 2007.

Podsednik, a career .275 hitter, leads the major leagues with 169 steals over the last three seasons.

Nah....me neither.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
I apologize to any overweight, teenage girl that is in this thread. Now put down the Krispy Kreme, and go run on the treadmill. You have a full season ahead of screaming for every Podsednik grounder to the first baseman. Time to get in shape!

Genius!

Way I feel is, a potential Podsednik return pains me, but the offense is hardly the issue right now. If you expect upgrades from Podsednik/Uribe/Anderson (which I understand many don't), it could certaintly offset regression among other players.

However, if Williams neglects to trade any of his starters I'll be absolutely furious. Slightly less furious, although within a rationale level, if were dealing a starter for a pitiful package. Really, I don't know how anyone aside from David Littlefield or Brian Sabean could screw it up. He has an excess amount of starting pitchers; teams are looking for pitching; and the market is skewing the value of mediocre talent. If you can't take advantage of that, I don't know what to say.

That is my concern entering winter meetings. Perhaps the right package allows him the flexibility to seek upgrades to LF, whereas trading Podsednik for a RH reserve OF/prospect.

Edited by Flash Tizzle