Scott Podsednik Re-Signs with White Sox

Colorado Sox Fan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
This is merely a backup plan. Nothing more.

While I agree somewhat on this, I also don't see a lot of other options on the market.

Don't be surprised when #22 trots out to left field come opening day.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
While I agree somewhat on this, I also don't see a lot of other options on the market.

i rather see 22 trotting out there than number 5....

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)

Now Pods has the trots? WTF????

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
This is the smartest thing said on these boards in a long while.

Correct - Dave Roberts had a better '06 season, but why anyone would rather have him on a 3 year deal is beyond me.

Pods' has 1 year to prove himself or he's gone. He'll also have Sweeney or possibly Fields breathing down his neck should he struggle early.

KW and JR must be in the holiday spirit giving out a nearly $3 million gift. Worst case if they couldn't acquire anyone, I'd rather non-tender him and put Sweeney in LF. This is a waste of $3 million. Too bad they couldn't spend $3 million on the bullpen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
KW and JR must be in the holiday spirit giving out a nearly $3 million gift. Worst case if they could acquire anyone, I'd rather non-tender him and put Sweeney in LF. This is a waste of $3 million. Too bad they couldn't spend $3 million on the bullpen.

Yep...I can't believe they brought him back after making it known how much they disliked him last season. I'm still a believer that KW has been caught with his pants down this offseason, and never expected to see the contracts/money that have been given out. I recall hearing him say he wanted to upgrade our speed and relief this offseason, and there's been no improvements at all. I'm now a believer in Jason's desire to see the Sox sign Jose Guillen.

Wow. A zero-tool player who was one of the very worst players in MLB last year. This is an indefensible signing. It is a complete waste of $2.9 million. Podsednik isn't even a decent 5th OFer. There are many AAA players who are better than Podsednik, including some in the Sox organization. In my opinion Ryan Sweeney is not yet ready for the majors and he's still better than Podsednik.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
KW and JR must be in the holiday spirit giving out a nearly $3 million gift. Worst case if they couldn't acquire anyone, I'd rather non-tender him and put Sweeney in LF. This is a waste of $3 million. Too bad they couldn't spend $3 million on the bullpen.

Or Mackowiak....or Gload

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
Wow. A zero-tool player who was one of the very worst players in MLB last year. This is an indefensible signing. It is a complete waste of $2.9 million. Podsednik isn't even a decent 5th OFer. There are many AAA players who are better than Podsednik, including some in the Sox organization. In my opinion Ryan Sweeney is not yet ready for the majors and he's still better than Podsednik.

Pods skills have continued to diminish since the end of 2004. Not only did he lose his power right away, but he's lost about 2 steps on the bases. I can't wait for people to say he's still injured this season.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
i'll take my chance with pods for 1 year, 2.9 than with roberts for 3-5 mil for 3 yrs.

Definately agree. And like Chisoxfn said...I think Pods will bounce back and have a much better year. Last year could be attributed to an array of things: coming off a career year and World Series hangover, injuries and of course adapting to life as Mr. Lisa Durgan. I'll take Pods over Pierre or Roberts any day.

Hell...KW may decide to just stand pat this offseason and make just a few tweeks...which really, is that all that bad? For a team that pretty much everybody saw underachieve and play miserably throughout the year...to still win 90 games...is it really that bad to stand pat?!? My biggest complaint from last year which I DO NOT want to see again this year at all...please...keep Mack out of center.

Some of you guys are amazing. Has it occurred to you that, even if we were to trade they guy, we'd STILL have had to sign him first?! And if we waited for arbitration, it would mean waiting on using the chip.

In other words, this means absolutely zero about whether or not Pods is in LF come Opening Day. The chances of that happening have not changed. Its still maybe.

Or Mackowiak....or Gload

Pods skills have continued to diminish since the end of 2004. Not only did he lose his power right away, but he's lost about 2 steps on the bases. I can't wait for people to say he's still injured this season.

Some people will alibi Podsednik's horrible performance forever. I don't know if it is because he was part of a big trade or just because he was on the 2005 team, but some fans will always refuse to recognize how bad he is.

Definately agree. And like Chisoxfn said...I think Pods will bounce back and have a much better year. Last year could be attributed to an array of things: coming off a career year and World Series hangover, injuries and of course adapting to life as Mr. Lisa Durgan.

Podsednik apologists: Exhibit A

People, people...just because he signed doesn't mean he's our starting LF next year. He's an affordable option to be a throw-in for a trade. He's very limited, but he's going to be playing for a contract again and unless he's still hurt or gets hurt again, I would imagine an improvement in '06.

I'd rather go with Pods in LF than pay ridiculous amounts of money for some of the other FA out there...and $3 mil wouldn't have gotten you the quality of bullpen arm most people were looking for this offseason.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Some of you guys are amazing. Has it occurred to you that, even if we were to trade they guy, we'd STILL have had to sign him first?! And if we waited for arbitration, it would mean waiting on using the chip.

In other words, this means absolutely zero about whether or not Pods is in LF come Opening Day. The chances of that happening have not changed. Its still maybe.

I normally agree with you but not on this. If they couldn't find a taker for Pods via trade, if they hadn't have signed him to this contract they could let him walk away. Now they are stuck paying him if they can't get rid of him. I do agree he still could be traded. In fact, I'm going to Holy Name after work to light a candle and pray for that.

I'd rather go with Pods in LF than pay ridiculous amounts of money for some of the other FA out there

You act like these were the only options. It wouldn't have cost ridiculous amounts of money to dump Pods and let one of Gload/Mack/Sweeney play LF. Also, Jose Guillen is an available option who is much better than Pods.