Merkin Article - Ref: McCarthy

RME JICO

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...rtnered=rss_cws

After reading the article it seems like B-Mac to Charlotte or back to the Bullpen is a real possibility for 2007:

"He doesn't like to pitch out of the bullpen, and that leaves us with two alternatives," said Williams. "Either put him in the rotation in Chicago, or put him in the rotation in [Triple-A] Charlotte.

When pressed again about this issue, Williams stood behind his assessment. The feeling came as something of a surprise for the affable 23-year-old right-hander, who still believes he can benefit personally and help the team more by working a second year out of the bullpen, if that particular slot is the only one available, as opposed to returning to the Minors."

"Working out of the bullpen would provide a further chance to study the tendencies of Major League hitters, according to McCarthy. He also understands an avenue as a starter solely comes through the trade of one of his friends currently making up the White Sox rotation."

"Barring a trade making sense for the White Sox in the present and helping in the future, Williams will bring his same starting five to Spring Training in Tucson in February. There's also the chance the organization's top prospect briefly could return to Charlotte.

"Barring a trade making sense for the White Sox in the present and helping in the future, Williams will bring his same starting five to Spring Training in Tucson in February. "

I was going to start a separate post on this point, but I'll confine my comments to this thread for the moment.

I see no reason why the Sox should make moves this offseason unless they will help the team make another run at a World Series in 2007. I don't think we should sell out for 2007, but I also don't see dumping skilled veterans to embark on some rebuilding plan that will clearly weaken our team next year. That's one huge reason why I thought the Crede+Garcia for Figgins+Santana deal made no sense for us. We could significantly weaken our team going into next season without appreciably helping us in the long run.

Now, if the right deal came along for Vazquez -- and I don't think any deals for pitchers will materialize until the FA pitching market is settled and all the major arms are signed -- I think it would make sense to move him. But that's because I believe replacing Vazquez with McCarthy in 2007 would help us NEXT YEAR.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
It's pretty obvious that Ozzie doesn't feel the desire to get him into the rotation. That's why I have no problem at all if we trade him for a big time player. McCarthy's only role next year with the Sox should be as a starter. Anything else is just asinine.

The big issue I'm still focused on right now is Free Agency. With the market ballooning once again, we're facing a situation where 4 of our 5 starting pitchers hit Free Agency at the end of 2008, 2 of which happen at the end of 2007.

I think it is really, really, really stupid to set yourself up in a position where Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Tadahito Iguchi, and Jermaine Dye all just turn into draft picks because they hit the market and you're not willing to go to 6 years on Buehrle to match what someone else offers. They have so much more value right now.

If we're looking at a complete, 4-year rebuilding process starting in 2009, then that's an acceptable option, but I certainly don't see that as the smartest move.

Hopefully, this is just KW posturing before the winter meetings.

Edited by Balta1701

Did Kenny really say this? I want to hear from him first. McCarthy may not be as well suited for the pen as some think. He is a real good talent but young and learning. Maybe starting at AAA is best for him and his future. On the other hand I have no problem with 6 starters

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
As soon as Zito and Schimdt sign, KW's cell phone will be ringing 24/7

Zito wont be signing for a while. But your point is well taken and something I've talked about with other soxtalkers. Kenny should have been and should still be patient with our starters. Let the market figure itself out and then other teams get desperate.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
"Barring a trade making sense for the White Sox in the present and helping in the future, Williams will bring his same starting five to Spring Training in Tucson in February. "

I was going to start a separate post on this point, but I'll confine my comments to this thread for the moment.

I see no reason why the Sox should make moves this offseason unless they will help the team make another run at a World Series in 2007. I don't think we should sell out for 2007, but I also don't see dumping skilled veterans to embark on some rebuilding plan that will clearly weaken our team next year. That's one huge reason why I thought the Crede+Garcia for Figgins+Santana deal made no sense for us. We could significantly weaken our team going into next season without appreciably helping us in the long run.

Now, if the right deal came along for Vazquez -- and I don't think any deals for pitchers will materialize until the FA pitching market is settled and all the major arms are signed -- I think it would make sense to move him. But that's because I believe replacing Vazquez with McCarthy in 2007 would help us NEXT YEAR.

I have been over this on the LAA trade thread, but I don't think the purposed trade hurts the Sox in the short-run. Stats and common knowledge suggest that Santana would likely have the better season when compared to Garcia, so I think you upgrade the rotation a little.

I also don't think the Figgins-Crede tradeoff would be as significant as most people think(even though I would assume that Figgins would be in the outfield so it wouldn't be a direct comparison). The overall offensive stats were very good last year, but they hide the fact that the offense was very inconsistent. I think adding a couple high BA/OBP type players(speed would also be an added bonus) would significantly reduce the inconsistency that relying solely on the HR causes. In that case, despite Figgins down year in 2006, he is the type of player that the Sox are looking for(when compared to Crede).

Furthermore, the trade frees up some money and still leaves the Sox with a starter to deal, which can be used to address other weaknesses and improve the team in the short-run via trade or FA(possible find a solid replacement at 3rd). Obviously, in the long-run it would improve the Sox and provide a cornerstone to allow them to contend for years to come. With all that said, I highly doubt the trade happens. Rarely under the KW regime does a purposed trade get talked about this much and actually happen.

In regards to the above article and quotes, I agree with most that it is just posturing and I believe that it is highly likely that a starter is moved at some point this offseason.

Why not keep all five and put McCarthy into AAA for some seasoning then trade someone at the deadline or, if not, leave them intact if need be?

I'm all for dealing a starter for some stud pitchers but if not, I wouldn't be upset if Cy Young spent half a season or another season back in Charlotte.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Why not keep all five and put McCarthy into AAA for some seasoning then trade someone at the deadline or, if not, leave them intact if need be?

I'm all for dealing a starter for some stud pitchers but if not, I wouldn't be upset if Cy Young spent half a season or another season back in Charlotte.

Because he deserves to be in the rotation, even if we don't trade anyone.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)

You must love draft picks, because if we dont resign Buerhle or Garcia for jackpot money that is what we are getting. Remember we are at 100million already, if you think we are going north of 130 to resign every favorite player you are mad.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)

It should be fun watching Garcia and Buehrle walk after 2007 and all the Sox get in return is a couple of draftpicks that could help out the big club sometime aroud 2011. There's a reason why Kenny is going to trade 1 or 2 starters this offseason one of which being, if this team just allows its high priced/high value starters to just walk without compensation there will be no realistic way to replace them in 2008, it would likely usher in another era similar to that of the mid to late 90's. Fun. The farm system is horrid right now and doesn't look like it will be getting better anytime soon unless something is done this offseason to help the future look a little less bleak.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Why does he deserve it? Because he had a handful of good-to-great outings for us in late 2005? I don't think that on merits he's especially better than any of our guys.

And he was a good prospect before hand. And we need to mix in younger talent. And he is cheap. And he would be a waste in the minors. How many reasons do you need?