Who needs draft picks?

santo=dorf

81 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Sox make a mistake with Riske?

• yes
    • no

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
Proof please, now.

According to ESPN over the past 3 seasons, Riske has pitched well in close and late situations. In 230 at-bats batters had a line of .230/.312/.396 against him. I'd take that from our fifth guy in the pen.

Riske somehow went the entore 2005 season without recording a single successful "Hold".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Riske somehow went the entore 2005 season without recording a single successful "Hold".

First off, the hold stat sucks.

Secondly, Riske wasn't used in a role where he would get many holds due to the other members in Cleveland's bullpen (Wickman, Howry, Rhodes, Betancourt, Cabrera, and Matt Miller) being so dominant that season. Hell, he was 1-1 in saves that year. Usually middle relievers have a hand full of blown saves due to MLB goofy system.

But hey, if you want to judge a player based on one season, more power to you.

Or instead of having that money tied up in Riske we could go out and sign an asian pitching prospect thats 20 years old who has some serious potential for upside.

I still laugh at how everyone dumped on Riske and than expects the Sox to offer him arbitration knowing that if we did we'd be stuck with him at like 3 million a year (and no, he isn't worth that and I'd rather the Sox spend 3 million on something else). You can tell me in this market 3 million wouldn't be that bad but I'd tell you that regardless of the market he isn't worth 3 million nor do we need him.

I'd just as well work Haeger into the pen (and we know I'm not the biggest fan of that).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
You can tell me in this market 3 million wouldn't be that bad but I'd tell you that regardless of the market he isn't worth 3 million

Jas, this sentence doesn't make sense...the market is what determines the value of a player, not just a random dollar amount.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Jas, this sentence doesn't make sense...the market is what determines the value of a player, not just a random dollar amount.

And the stock market said AOL was worth a ridiculous amount a few years back, but any idiot could have told you they really weren't. Its just the market went crazy and went out of control and people figured oh well someone dumber will pay more and more so they kept going.

Just because this year says Riske could maybe get 3 million (and he wouldn't get it if they had to give up a draft pick, not with the other options out there cause he would accept arb and come back to the Sox...I guarantee it) doesn't mean thats what he is actually worth. Is Gary Matthews Jr. worth 11 million, no and thats coming from one of his bigger fans.