Jose Guillen to the Mariners

Frank the Tank 35

Rotoworld:

The Mariners and outfielder Jose Guillen have agreed to terms on a one-year, $5 million contract, sources told ESPNdeportes.com.

There's $3 million in incentives and a $9 million option for 2008. Guillen is a risk while coming back from Tommy John surgery, but this is still a pretty good signing for the Mariners. It's certainly better than bringing in Luis Gonzalez.

Well there goes that option...

I thought Guillen would have been a good signing, but only at about $2M guaranteed for '07. He's too big of a question mark for '07. I don't expect him to approach anywhere near 100% until September or so...

I thought a $2M deal with a large option ($9-10M) would get it done, and he'd slot right in for Dye in '08. Obviously that was not the case. Let the Mariners flush $5M down the toilet in '07.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Let the Mariners flush $5M down the toilet in '07.

Yep, shows why Bill Bavasi is probably the worst General Manager in Baseball today.

And it'll only get worse in 2008 when the likes of Ichiro are gone, and they'll completely have to rebuild, which is a sad state of affairs, considering how good that franchise was from 95 to earlier this decade.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Yep, shows why Bill Bavasi is probably the worst General Manager in Baseball today.

And it'll only get worse in 2008 when the likes of Ichiro are gone, and they'll completely have to rebuild, which is a sad state of affairs, considering how good that franchise was from 95 to earlier this decade.

Some of the responsibility for their decline is not necessarily the GM's fault...some of it is probably due to the, ahem, "cough cough" "sudden unexpected decline in performance" of some of their players, like Boone, which really hurt them as well.

But yeah, they're really regretting that 3rd baseman they bought. And I'll even admit, I thought that was a great deal when it was signed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
Some of the responsibility for their decline is not necessarily the GM's fault...some of it is probably due to the, ahem, "cough cough" "sudden unexpected decline in performance" of some of their players, like Boone, which really hurt them as well.

But yeah, they're really regretting that 3rd baseman they bought. And I'll even admit, I thought that was a great deal when it was signed.

Bavasi just hasn't done a good job at filling other needs on that ballclub though, especially on the pitching side of things.

At least Beltre showed some promise in the 2nd half of this season (think he hit over .300). But then there's the really, really stupid signings like Carl Everett (didn't last the season), signing Jarrod Washburn to a 4 year $36M deal (produces a 4.67 ERA in an excellent pitching environment) etc.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
At least Beltre showed some promise in the 2nd half of this season (think he hit over .300). But then there's the really, really stupid signings like Carl Everett (didn't last the season), signing Jarrod Washburn to a 4 year $36M deal (produces a 4.67 ERA in an excellent pitching environment) etc.

Right now, does that Washburn deal really look that bad?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
Right now, does that Washburn deal really look that bad?

With the way he performed last season, I say it probably does.

Although if a Gil Meche is going to get $10M a season, what can ya do?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 07:26 PM)
Bavasi just hasn't done a good job at filling other needs on that ballclub though, especially on the pitching side of things.

Where is Crazy Carl these days?