Sox should trade 2 SP's

gosox41

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
It's not ideal but IMHO it's a better option then Fields. I know Crede is a great glove and all and Figgins isn't nearly as good. But if Ozzie can justify Mackowiak in CF then I can see Figgins at 3B.

Bob, I would rather have fields playing 3B. Figgins may come up with a sub .900 FPCT at the hot corner, and that is just terrible.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If T ed Lily is turning down 4 year $37 million contract offers it tells me that KW needs to trade 2 starters and max out on the insanity out there. This is a golden situation that doesn't come very often.

First trade I'd make is the Garcia/Crede for Figgins and Santana. It leaves the Sox with 6 starters and adds more speed to the line up. Ozzie wanted more speed on this team last season and now he will have it. It also frees up $10 mill to fill other holes like the stealth bullpen the Sox need.

The second trade gets a little tricky. It involves one of 2 scenarios. If you believe pitching is the key, then you go with scenario 2. If not, Scenario 1 is the best option:

1. Trade McCarthy (and others) for Carl Crawford. It's exciting to think about a line up where your 9,1, and 2 hitters can steal a combined 150 bases. The offense would have more flexibility then the 2006 offense as speed doesn't slump as much. Crawford would be a great #2 hitter behind Pods/Figgins. Bat the other guy 9th. Move Iguchi down to 6/7 in the order and watch his power numbers increase as he's no longe sacrificing himself as much.

2. Trade Garland (or more ideally Buehrle since he's in the last year of his contract) to the Rangers for the rumored deal of Danks, a second pithcing prospect, and Otuska. Instantly the bullpen is improved with Otsuka. Either Danks or the second pitchig prospect would compete for the 6th spot with Logan.

For the record I'd trade Buehrle before Garland but Garland probably has more value since he under contract through 2008.

This trade sets the Sox 2007 bullpen and also starts setting the starting rotation for 2008. If these young guys are as good as hyped, then I can see a rotation of Contereras, Vazquez, Santana, McCarthy, and Danks for the '08 season. It's 4 experienced starts plus Danks who supposedly has a high ceiling.

But now is the time for KW to make a splash and fade the insane moves of overpaying for mediocre pitchers. In 2008 the price of signing FA pitching is going to remain or increase from these high levels and I would be annoyed to see roughly 10% of the teams payroll tied into a Ted Lily. Now is an opportune time for KW to strike while the iron is hot.

Bob

I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT KENNY SHOULD TRADE 2 STARTERS.

1. However, I think that it should be Buehrle and Garcia - or , if possible,extend Garcia and trade Vazquez.

2. In both trades we should receive a young starting pitcher that is ready to start now (Santana) or a big time prospect ready in a year or two (Pelfrey, Reyes, Bailey ).

3. If we get 2 young studs that are not ready yet, sign a decent free agent starting pitcher to a short term contract. We could always trade him later.

4. We MUST get pitching back which is why I don't like the Crede and Garcia/Buehrle for AROD deal.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT KENNY SHOULD TRADE 2 STARTERS.

1. However, I think that it should be Buehrle and Garcia - or , if possible,extend Garcia and trade Vazquez.

2. In both trades we should receive a young starting pitcher that is ready to start now (Santana) or a big time prospect ready in a year or two (Pelfrey, Reyes, Bailey ).

3. If we get 2 young studs that are not ready yet, sign a decent free agent starting pitcher to a short term contract. We could always trade him later.

4. We MUST get pitching back which is why I don't like the Crede and Garcia/Buehrle for AROD deal.

I'm sorry, you want to trade Buehrle for a young starting pitcher? Isn't Buehrle a young starting pitcher? He going to be 28 at the beginning of the 2007 season. We better get a HUGE package for Buehrle if we trade him...A-Rod and maybe Proctor or that other young pitcher...is it Hensley?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
I'm sorry, you want to trade Buehrle for a young starting pitcher? Isn't Buehrle a young starting pitcher? He going to be 28 at the beginning of the 2007 season. We better get a HUGE package for Buehrle if we trade him...A-Rod and maybe Proctor or that other young pitcher...is it Hensley?

Yes, we better get a huge package if we trade Buehrle...but if Buehrle can't be signed, we better consider trading him. Because the package we could get for him is much, much more valuable than the pair of draft picks we could get for him.

Id like to see Buehrle go in the danks deal and we do the angels deal... A starting staff of count, garland, santana, BMac, and danks looks pretty damn good....in a few years take when counts gone just replace him with the mentioned 2nd prospect or broadway and we got ourselves a pretty stellar staff for the future

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
First trade I'd make is the Garcia/Crede for Figgins and Santana. It leaves the Sox with 6 starters and adds more speed to the line up. Ozzie wanted more speed on this team last season and now he will have it. It also frees up $10 mill to fill other holes like the stealth bullpen the Sox need.

Chone Figgins is a high end utility player. We trade one of the best gloves in the game who also has power for a player who doesn't play good defense and can't get on base. (the pitcher part of this is basically a wash; but the 3B part, we get slaughtered).

Rob M for Figgins would be a fairer deal.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
Chone Figgins is a high end utility player. We trade one of the best gloves in the game who also has power for a player who doesn't play good defense and can't get on base. (the pitcher part of this is basically a wash; but the 3B part, we get slaughtered).

Rob M for Figgins would be a fairer deal.

I agree. Garcia for Santana is a wash, and Crede for Figgins straight up would be ridiculous. I don't think this deal will happen unless there is more involved.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
I agree. Garcia for Santana is a wash, and Crede for Figgins straight up would be ridiculous. I don't think this deal will happen unless there is more involved.

Over the short term, Garcia for Santana may be a wash. But over the long term it's probably ... not a sure thing, but probably ... advantage Santana. If the Angels make this deal ... Figgins/Santana for Crede/Garcia, straight up ... they are probably the favorites to win the AL.