Aaron Rowand

southsideirish

Earlier this morning on ESPN radio AM 1000 it was reported that the White Sox may re-acquire Aaron Rowand during the winter meetings this week. I love Rowand and I think he is a great guy, but I would have to ask why. Why would that make sense? Anyway. I am just reporting on what I heard on the radio this morning and I didn't see it posted anywhere. If it has already been posted then I am sorry for the repeated information.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cubune also threw this one in this morning, probably what sparked the 1000 people:

If the Sox are interested in a short-term upgrade and a player who can give them the sense of urgency they lacked down the stretch, an Aaron Rowand homecoming also should be explored.
Of course, Rowand wouldn't necessarily be either of those, but hey, that same company just paid $140 million for Soriano.

Wow. That's pretty nice. But with rumors of A-Rod and all, it raises questions. What do the Phillies need from us? Most likely pitching. I'd love to get A-Row back, although I believe Brian is developing, although we all know there's been some tension there. We'll see what happens.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Interesting if true, who reported it on ESPN 1000?

I for one would love to have Rowand back, but that's just me.

It was Levine. And both the Trib (as someone pointed out) and Gregor in the Daily Herald mention Rowand prominently. Of course, Gregor hates Anderson almost as much as Ozzie does.

Gregor also suggests acquiring Darin Erstad, though he doesn't mention Erstad's .221/.279/.326 BA/OBP/SLG line lsat year. And yes, that is actually worse than Anderson's .221/.281/.361 line (and Anderson woud seem likelier to improve, being 8 years younger). Wish I could get paid to write stuff like that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
Terrible move for the White Sox. Would they throw in Hamels?

They can throw in Hamels, remove Rollins, remove Rowand, add Fabio Castro, and we'll remove Anderson.

Garcia for Hamels + Fabio Castro = thumbs up. :D

Terrible move for the White Sox. Would they throw in Hamels?

Sure.

I guess I just like Rollins too much, because I think he gives us a better lead off hitter and a long term SS who isnt so frustrating to watch hit. Maybe its just me.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
They can throw in Hamels, remove Rollins, remove Rowand, add Fabio Castro, and we'll remove Anderson.

Garcia for Hamels + Fabio Castro = thumbs up. :D

= PUKE if you ask me.

I wouldn't be against the Rollins/Rowand for Garcia deal to be honest. Rollins gives the Sox a damn good leadoff hitter (also means we have Uribe as trade bait for a prospect or two or a reliever or whatever) while Rowand gives Ozzie a legit CFer.

I've came to the realiziation that the club doens't like BA so I don't want to see Mack out there, that means I'm a fan of anything that gives us a legit CF and Rowand is that (he's over-rated by a lot of people but he's still decent).

I'd prefer other trade scenarious though.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
Sure.

I guess I just like Rollins too much, because I think he gives us a better lead off hitter and a long term SS who isnt so frustrating to watch hit. Maybe its just me.

I agree Rollins would be a nice fit given what we have...but I am not interested in just giving away these pitchers, nor do I want Rowand back that much at all, and I want to give Anderson away when his value is almost at its lowest even less.

I'd be all for Garcia/Anderson for Rollins/Rowand. In today's market, Rollins contract looks pretty damn good. Also, as much as I dislike Rowand due to his reputation among Sox fans, at least we wouldn't have to worry about Ozzie mishandling our CF position anymore. Also, the more things happened last year, the more I began to realize that Rowand did have a lot to do with the chemistry. And let the record state that I was one of the first ones stating how overrated Rowand was/is.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be all for Garcia/Anderson for Rollins/Rowand. In today's market, Rollins contract looks pretty damn good. Also, as much as I dislike Rowand due to his reputation among Sox fans, at least we wouldn't have to worry about Ozzie mishandling our CF position anymore. Also, the more things happened last year, the more I began to realize that Rowand did have a lot to do with the chemistry. And let the record state that I was one of the first ones stating how overrated Rowand was/is.

My thoughts almost exactly. I'd be for this trade as well.

Levine has mentioned Rowand's name every monday morning for the past 3 months, this is nothing new. I'm starting to think he's just throwing this out there once every couple days as pure speculation in order to keep Sox fans listening to his updates since most still love Aaron.

Maybe they would include Pat Burrell in the deal? I know they want to unload him and his salary, but Im sure we could handle it getting rid of Garcia or Vaz. Put him in LF, A-row in CF, Rollins at SS?

Just xboxing it up over here!!

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Levine has mentioned Rowand's name every monday morning for the past 3 months, this is nothing new. I'm starting to think he's just throwing this out there once every couple days as pure speculation in order to keep Sox fans listening to his updates since most still love Aaron.

Heh, it actually makes sense to me, too, since so far it's been quiet.

Terrible move for the White Sox.

I have to go ahead and agree with that. Rowand seems like a great guy, but he had 2 significant injuries last season and seems like he's established himslf as around a .750 OPS player with a decent glove and bad OBP. If the Sox want another OF, I think they should go after someone that provides some OBP, which Rowand doens't.

Just for the record: Post-ASB numbers for Anderson BA/OBP/SLG/OPS: .257/.301/.393/.694, for Rowand .257/.327/.407/.734 and Chris Dial's defensive metrics had Anderson at +5 RS/150 and Rowand at -5 RS/150. The RS/150 part is runs saved per 150 innings or something like that. Anyway, I know how inaccurate defensive metrics are, but I think this supports the idea that Anderson is at least about the same as Rowand in the field.

Anyway, I don't think the Sox should trade anything of value to get Rowand back. And if he does come back, I'd rather see him platoon with Sweeney than start full-time.