Aaron Rowand

southsideirish

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Maybe they would include Pat Burrell in the deal? I know they want to unload him and his salary, but Im sure we could handle it getting rid of Garcia or Vaz. Put him in LF, A-row in CF, Rollins at SS?

Just xboxing it up over here!!

Burrell is due $27M over the next 2 years, has very real injury concerns, is 30 years old, has a history of attitude problems and owns a full no trade clause that's he's only willing to waive in order to go to the Yankees, Bo Sox or a West Coast team.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Burrell is due $27M over the next 2 years, has very real injury concerns, is 30 years old, has a history of attitude problems and owns a full no trade clause that's he's only willing to waive in order to go to the Yankees, Bo Sox or a West Coast team.

ok, I was just throwing a name out there. Especially since he murders lefties.

I would much rather try Sweeney in CF than bring Rowand back. Not because I dislike Aaron, but because we've traded one future OF (Young) and tried another (BA, even though I think it should be considered an incomplete).

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
I'd be all for Garcia/Anderson for Rollins/Rowand. In today's market, Rollins contract looks pretty damn good. Also, as much as I dislike Rowand due to his reputation among Sox fans, at least we wouldn't have to worry about Ozzie mishandling our CF position anymore. Also, the more things happened last year, the more I began to realize that Rowand did have a lot to do with the chemistry. And let the record state that I was one of the first ones stating how overrated Rowand was/is.

Is Rollins really a good leadoff hitter? Looking at his stats, his OBP is always around .335ish. That's pretty close to Pods territory. Rollins has some power, but I don't know anything about his defense. I'd like the Sox to get a leadoff hitter that plays 2B or SS, but I'm not sure Rollins OBP is high enough. Or that Philly would trade him for Garcia (I'd bet not -- although Garcia+Uribe+Fields might do it). AnywayI'd rather see the Sox try for young pitching with Garcia. Rowand for Anderson is a wash a best I think. Rowand may be better next year, but he'll cost something like $4M more next season.

I think Aaron Rowand has become the White Sox fan's version of cocaine. Yeah, getting rid of him brought a guy who hit 40+ home runs and should hit 500 next year, yeah he spent half last year on the DL, and yeah, his offensive numbers simply aren't good, but PEOPLE JUST CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM AND WILL GIVE UP ANYTHING TO GET MORE OF HIM.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
I think Aaron Rowand has become the White Sox fan's version of cocaine. Yeah, getting rid of him brought a guy who hit 40+ home runs and should hit 500 next year, yeah he spent half last year on the DL, and yeah, his offensive numbers simply aren't good, but PEOPLE JUST CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM AND WILL GIVE UP ANYTHING TO GET MORE OF HIM.

What if we get back the 2004 version of Rowand? Why shouldn't we think he can accomplish those numbers again? :P

There are three things I like about Rowand more than Anderson:

- Ability to hit LHP

- Leadership

- Ozzie's confidence in Rowand compared to Anderson

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
What if we get back the 2004 version of Rowand? Why shouldn't we think he can accomplish those numbers again? :P

There are three things I like about Rowand more than Anderson:

- Ability to hit LHP

- Leadership

- Ozzie's confidence in Rowand compared to Anderson

Rowand's numbers last year vs. LHP:

.222 .304 .444 .748, 5 home runs. He hit about half his home runs against lefties, but it was either home run or he gawn.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)

Actually, now that some of the championship hangover has worn off, I think most rational Sox fans aren't crazy about bringing Rowand back. Of course, people were having convulsions when we traded him, but then again, some were upset when we let Geoff Blum go. There were plenty of Sox fans who would have preferred that the Sox entered 2006 with the entire 2005 team intact.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
Is Rollins really a good leadoff hitter? Looking at his stats, his OBP is always around .335ish. That's pretty close to Pods territory. Rollins has some power, but I don't know anything about his defense. I'd like the Sox to get a leadoff hitter that plays 2B or SS, but I'm not sure Rollins OBP is high enough. Or that Philly would trade him for Garcia (I'd bet not -- although Garcia+Uribe+Fields might do it). AnywayI'd rather see the Sox try for young pitching with Garcia. Rowand for Anderson is a wash a best I think. Rowand may be better next year, but he'll cost something like $4M more next season.

His OBP last year was around that, as a leadoff hitter he approached .350. But dont look at that as his value as a leadoff hitter, check out his runs created. Plus he plays good defense at SS.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
Actually, now that some of the championship hangover has worn off, I think most rational Sox fans aren't crazy about bringing Rowand back. Of course, people were having convulsions when we traded him, but then again, some were upset when we let Geoff Blum go. There were plenty of Sox fans who would have preferred that the Sox entered 2006 with the entire 2005 team intact.

I still think this Rowand talk is more fluff than substance. It's more of the same; our irrational White Sox beat reporters making up rumors. Has there been ONE -- even one? -- quote from Kenny Williams saying that he has any interest at all at possibly bringing him back?

It's not fair... how come KC gets to have a good writer following the team and we don't?

I pretty much fall into the "he'd be a bit of an upgrade, so maybe but I'm not a fan of this overhyped player" camp.

For those of you in love with Rowand, I hope you expect these kinds of numbers from him: .270/.330/.420/.750. Yawn. Those numbers are very mediocre, even for a CFer. For a corner OFer, they are just plain bad. I think a performance in that vicinity is the real Rowand. I strongly suspect that his anomalous 2004 season was fueled by andro, creatin and/or HGH, or worse.

I still think this Rowand talk is more fluff than substance. It's more of the same; our irrational White Sox beat reporters making up rumors. Has there been ONE -- even one? -- quote from Kenny Williams saying that he has any interest at all at possibly bringing him back?

I don't think this is being reported as "the White Sox are showing interest in reacquiring Rowand." (unless I missed something like this, which is possible). I believe it is the standard speculation that journalists share at this time of year regarding players that they think might be a good fit and reasonable trading opportunity.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
I strongly suspect that his anomalous 2004 season was fueled by andro, creatin and/or HGH, or worse.

I wouldn't lump creatine in with Andro and HGH, but I agree with you. I'm still skeptical about Rowand's 2004 season, and whether he was completely clean.

Rowand = Anderson (more or less)

That's my feeling. If you trade Anderson and get Rowand back, you gain a little on hitting and add a little speed, plus he's a fan fave and a great guy for motivating those around him. But, you lose a bit on defense in some facets (Anderson is somewhat better than Rowand in some areas, equivalent in others), and Anderson comes cheaper for many moons to come. Plus Rowand is more injury-prone, due to his crash mentality.

I'd be happy personally, as long as we don't overvalue Rowand. But equally, I don't want to see us keep Anderson in CF because we overvalue him either. I just don't believe Anderson will ever be any better of a hitter than Rowand is now.

KW is known for re-aqcuirering his grinder-type players. How many times did he get Everett? Like 3? lol I am one of Rowand's biggest fans and would love for him to be back on the southside. Think about it, it would most likely be for 1 season. You give BA a season down in triple-a to develope into a better hitter and he can easily replace him in 2008. The cost for Rowand shouldn't be too high. A) he is coming off an injury. and B. he is on his last year of his deal.

What do you guys think it would cost to get him?

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)

It's not fair... how come KC gets to have a good writer following the team and we don't?

Kenny Williams cannot say anything about reacquiring Rowand. It's called tampering.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
KW is known for re-aqcuirering his grinder-type players. How many times did he get Everett? Like 3? lol I am one of Rowand's biggest fans and would love for him to be back on the southside. Think about it, it would most likely be for 1 season. You give BA a season down in triple-a to develope into a better hitter and he can easily replace him in 2008. The cost for Rowand shouldn't be too high. A) he is coming off an injury. and B. he is on his last year of his deal.

What do you guys think it would cost to get him?

Anderson has now played a full season of MLB baseball. Its unlikely any team would send him back to AAA at this point, unless he goes into June with a .150 average again.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
The exact same things that are being now said about Anderson were said about Crede as recently as August 2005. Now half the board would rather have Crede than the best player in baseball, ARod.

But does Anderson really have the skills that Crede did, even when he struggled?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
But does Anderson really have the skills that Crede did, even when he struggled?

Yes. If not more. It took Crede some time to develop into the defensive monster we have now, Anderson already is that. Anderson's numbers in the minors are quite comparable to Crede's in his first stops at each level, and I would say BA is a better athlete in general.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Yes. If not more. It took Crede some time to develop into the defensive monster we have now, Anderson already is that. Anderson's numbers in the minors are quite comparable to Crede's in his first stops at each level, and I would say BA is a better athlete in general.

I agree Anderson is a better athlete. I am just not convinced he can mit major league pitching. I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)

lol thats the qoute of the day because its pretty much true. Many White Sox fans have wanted Rowand back since May and we have been talking about getting him back ever since. You have to admit, he may not be the the most talented, or even a better athlete than than Anderson, but he works his ass off and White Sox fans appreciate that. He loves the White Sox and loves White Sox fans. How can you not miss a guy like him?? Getting Rowand back won't neccessarily garuntee us a division title, but it does garuntee us that our defense will be pretty solid out in CF and RF. Getting Rowand back may also help Pods game, Rowand helped Pods defense when he was here and Pods helped Rowands base running. Im all for getting Rowand back.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Getting Rowand back won't neccessarily garuntee us a division title, but it does garuntee us that our defense will be pretty solid out in CF and RF.

Um, are you saying that Rowand plays a better defensive CF than Anderson? I don't think so. Just because Rowand makes more diving plays doesn't mean he's better...it means he's slower or takes the wrong route to the ball and has to make up for it.