Winter Meetings Thread

RME JICO

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
I don't know if this has already been posted, my apologies if it has.

It's a Scott Merkin article about a rumored Mark for Milledge deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...rtnered=rss_mlb

One of the newest rumors making its way around the Swan and Dolphin Resort on Monday involved the movement of White Sox southpaw Mark Buehrle via trade to the Mets in return for outfielder Lastings Milledge.

I can't see this deal happening without us getting another arm in return.

People also need to understand that back of the rotation guys like Meche are going to command multi-year deals at around or above 10 million annually. The market for our pitchers is way higher than that. We arent going to deal Mark Buehrle for some prospect straight up. If we deal for spects, it better be 3 cant lose guys, including at leat two top pitching spects.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
I would be shocked if KW wasn't demanding Pelfrey or Humber along with Milledge. Even NY papers seem to be agreeing that Milledge's stock has taken a hit in the past year.

I would be shocked if he didnt ask for both, and not take the deal without it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
I posted this in the other thread as well.

It was reported on ESPN 1000 this morning that execs from the White Sox and Yankees met early this morning in the White Sox suite reportedly to discuss A-rod.

This deal makes almost too much sense for both teams. I keep thinking that in spite of what we keep getting told about it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
I would be shocked if he didnt ask for both, and not take the deal without it.

There is not a chance in hell Minyana would do that deal, but were he to, I would take it and run as fast as I could- even if we had already traded Freddy to another team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
This deal makes almost too much sense for both teams. I keep thinking that in spite of what we keep getting told about it.

This isnt the first time they have met about this either in the last few weeks. Especially with Lilly, Meche, Zito, Schmidt, etc seemingly going to other teams, I could see the yankees wanting to deal for one of our guys. My fear is that it is Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
There is not a chance in hell Minyana would do that deal, but were he to, I would take it and run as fast as I could- even if we had already traded Freddy to another team.

Then he better start talking to Miguel Batista, because we dont NEED to deal our pitchers. This is what the market has become, and we can seriously rape a team with a deal like this.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
Burls and BA for Pelfrey, milledge??

Still not enough value. We dont have to make a deal just to make a deal.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
Then he better start talking to Miguel Batista, because we dont NEED to deal our pitchers. This is what the market has become, and we can seriously rape a team with a deal like this.

Still not enough value. We dont have to make a deal just to make a deal.

I'm not saying that Mark shouldn't command a nice package, but Pelfrey, Milledge, and Humber are their big three prospects. He can't move them all for one player, especially one with one year left on his deal and coming off a poor season. He wouldn't move Heilman and Milledge for Zito last year; he isn't going to move those three for Mark now.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
That deal doesnt look good for us. I am still oppose in trading mark buerhle.

Reading about these rumored deals is making me think we are just begging people to take one of our starters. There is no gain for the Sox. What are we thinking? We have damaged goods?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
I'm not saying that Mark shouldn't command a nice package, but Pelfrey, Milledge, and Humber are their big three prospects. He can't move them all for one player, especially one with one year left on his deal and coming off a poor season. He wouldn't move Heilman and Milledge for Zito last year; he isn't going to move those three for Mark now.

Then he doesnt get a pitcher, see how that works? KW doesnt need to make sure that the deal is even on both sides, because he holds all the cards. If the Mets dont want to do that deal, we move on to the next one.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
There's only one problem with the Yanks trade....ARod doesn't want to waive his no-trade clause. It's too bad Ozzie had to open his big mouth last offseason.

I havent seen that yet, is there a link?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
Then he doesnt get a pitcher, see how that works? KW doesnt need to make sure that the deal is even on both sides, because he holds all the cards. If the Mets dont want to do that deal, we move on to the next one.

Bingo! This is the first time Kenny has gone in on the sellers side, if I remember correctly. Usually he's the one being turned down. Now, he can go in and say, "So, you don't want to give us 3 of your top 3 major-league ready prospects? Okee dokee, it was nice meeting with you today. By the way, have you tried the turkey leg at Disney/MGM? It's to die for. Good day. I said good day."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)

That reminds me of Danny Noonan and DeNunzio in Caddyshack. "I ain't payin' no fifty cents for no Coke."

"Then you ain't gettin' no Coke, eh."

Well, it seems that Minyana would rather offer Zito the $ than trade his top 3 prospects for Mark, so maybe that is what happened.

As for ARod, I doubt that he would block a trade here. This is the PERFECT place for him to play, second only to maybe LAA. If you think what Ozzie said about him really bothers him, remember what the Yankee fans and the NY media did to him the final 3 months or so of the season...

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
Bingo! This is the first time Kenny has gone in on the sellers side, if I remember correctly. Usually he's the one being turned down. Now, he can go in and say, "So, you don't want to give us 3 of your top 3 major-league ready prospects? Okee dokee, it was nice meeting with you today. By the way, have you tried the turkey leg at Disney/MGM? It's to die for. Good day. I said good day."

Egg-zactly, there is no shortage of people who want pitchers, especially ones who are making below market value. If certain teams do not want to give up alot of one of our guys, it benefits us more to keep our arms.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
BTW, I hope people don't start freaking out if KW doesn't make a move during the meetings. It's better off if he waits until Zito and Schmidt sign.

In reality, this is too early for Kenny anyway, if you go back and look at his history. he likes to let things shake out before he makes his move during the winter, and make his move early during the season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
In reality, this is too early for Kenny anyway, if you go back and look at his history. he likes to let things shake out before he makes his move during the winter, and make his move early during the season.

Like he said on Comcast last night, he has up until opening day to figure out his roster, nothing is definite right now. I think teams like the Rangers, Yankees, Padres, Angels, etc are going to start getting really desperate in the next few weeks.