Sox show interest in Toronto's Wells

spiderman

Vernon Wells is awesome! However, Toronto would want the world for him, im guessing a package of Brian Anderson, Freddy Garcia, Lance Broadway and more... FORGET IT! Not for a rent-a-player. He would be another Bartolo Colon. Just too bad we dont have anymore Rocky Biddle's to offer ;)

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
Vernon Wells is awesome! However, Toronto would want the world for him, im guessing a package of Brian Anderson, Freddy Garcia, Lance Broadway and more... FORGET IT! Not for a rent-a-player. He would be another Bartolo Colon. Just too bad we dont have anymore Rocky Biddle's to offer ;)

That's what we're saying...if we can extend him, then I don't care who we give up for him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
That's what we're saying...if we can extend him, then I don't care who we give up for him.

Would you be willing to commit to a 6/120 contract to keep him here?

I for one would rather just give Brian another chance this year, and if he doesn't work out, make the effort to sign Wells next year when he becomes a FA.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Would you be willing to commit to a 6/120 contract to keep him here?

I for one would rather just give Brian another chance this year, and if he doesn't work out, make the effort to sign Wells next year when he becomes a FA.

Yes, I would definitely consider it. We're not going to sign him if he becomes a FA, as a lot of big market names will be in the mix.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Yes, I would definitely consider it. We're not going to sign him if he becomes a FA, as a lot of big market names will be in the mix.

Well, it has been widely speculated that Wells would go to Texas, where he is originally from. However, will Texas have that kind of dough if they sign Zito for $100 million?

If Wells doesn't want to be here, he won't agree to an extension. And if he won't agree to an extension, there isn't a chance in hell I am giving up Broadway/Anderson + for 1 year of him

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
I know so many people hate to compare the sox and cubs. That sentiment is justified. However, let me qualify the following comparison by stating that I am only comparing Wells to the best available OF in this off-season market:

Vernon Wells > Soriano

Which is why Wells will cost $140M for 7 years.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Which is why Wells will cost $140M for 7 years.

yup... and at the risk of repeating about 20 posts before me, its why 1) Vernon Wells will not be playing for the sox this season unless they acquire him on June 30th as a rental.

Some speculation from rotoworld.

Having lost out on both Ted Lilly and Gil Meche, the Jays might be more open to moving Vernon Wells to address their pitching troubles.

The Jon Garland trade may have fallen through and it's clear the White Sox are still open to dealing a pitcher, so if there's going to be a match, this looks like the best bet. The White Sox could offer Garland, Brian Anderson and more for Wells, who is one year away from free agency. The Jays will likely ask for Brandon McCarthy, but he's probably going to remain off limits.

Wells isn't worth 6/120. Given the fact that this organization isn't spend-happy, if they were to give Wells that much money, it would hamstring us from acquiring other decent players for the next 6 years (or lead us essentially give away good players with significant salaries).

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
These guys honestly are taking shots in the dark just as much as we are....

yeah... probably. But their logic seems ok... in theory

I just don't see the sox running to make a deal for wells without having a long term commitment from him. Based on the market rate right now, this isn't the time to be negotiating with Wells. In fairness, things could be even worse next year, but a deal doesn't seem likely if its going to cost 1) Garland, 2) Anderson, and 3) 125 million (conservatively) over seven years.

I don't care how good Vernon Wells is, considering the value of Garland, it would be about a 160 million dollar signing.... not good when the Jays are going to have to move him at the deadline just to get something in return.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Wells isn't worth 6/120. Given the fact that this organization isn't spend-happy, if they were to give Wells that much money, it would hamstring us from acquiring other decent players for the next 6 years (or lead us essentially give away good players with significant salaries).

So you dont want to spend money, and you dont like the prospects we get. What would you like to see the sox do to get better.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
I think "ShoulderGate" (Sirotka for David Wells) from 2001 will prevent us from any Vernon Wells deals. Maybe we can give them Joe Crede for Troy Glaus and have "BackGate" 2006.

That's untrue. We had a deal in place for Carlos Delgado in 94, and Delgado would waive his NTC, and thus, the deal was nixed.

So you dont want to spend money, and you dont like the prospects we get. What would you like to see the sox do to get better.

Because I don't want the Sox to spend $20 million a year for 6 guaranteed years on a guy who isn't one of the very best players in the game (not as good as guys like Pujols...the very elite of baseball players), that means I don't want the Sox to spend money?

Of course I want the Sox to spend money. But that doesn't mean that the Sox should spend more than a player is worth to them.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
Because I don't want the Sox to spend $20 million a year for 6 guaranteed years on a guy who isn't one of the very best players in the game (not as good as guys like Pujols...the very elite of baseball players), that means I don't want the Sox to spend money?

Umm, if there's a player that the Sox should spend big money on, its Wells. Plays elite defense at a position on the important end of the defensive spectrum, yet has the bat to play a corner OF spot. He's right in the middle of his prime, and while not a huge stolen base threat, is pretty competent on the basepaths. He's exactly the type of player you pay big money to. If the Sox got him, I'd immediately offer a five-six year deal upwards of $15 million per. He's one of fifteen most valuable players in baseball.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
Umm, if there's a player that the Sox should spend big money on, its Wells. Plays elite defense at a position on the important end of the defensive spectrum, yet has the bat to play a corner OF spot. He's right in the middle of his prime, and while not a huge stolen base threat, is pretty competent on the basepaths. He's exactly the type of player you pay big money to. If the Sox got him, I'd immediately offer a five-six year deal upwards of $15 million per. He's one of fifteen most valuable players in baseball.

That will get him to do two things...1) Laugh. 2) Leave after the season.

He's gonna want something close to Beltran money for probably the same length of time.

Here you go, from mlb4u.com:

signed 7-year deal worth 119M on 1/11/05 - he receives an 11M signing bonus: 5M paid as soon as the commissioner's office formally approves the contract and the the other 6M in installments of 2M on June 15, 2005, Jan. 15, 2006 and Jan. 15, 2007 (w/ no taxes applied) - + he receives salaries of 10M in 2005, 12M in both 2006 and 2007 and 18.5M in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 - + 8.5M each year in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 is deferred at 1.7175% compounded interest - + the 22M in deferred salary will be paid out over the 7 years after the contract expires: installments of $3,142,857 each July 1st starting in 2012 with the last being on July 1st, 2018 - + he can earn award bonuses: 500K for MVP award and 1M for a second MVP then 1.5M for third and all MVP awards thereafter; 200K for 2nd thru 5th place MVP voting finish; 100K for an All-Star selection; 100K for receiving the most All-Star votes in the league; 100K for being named a Postseason All-Star or player of the year; 250K for WS MVP; 150K for LCS MVP; 100K per Gold Glove and 100K per Silver Slugger; 100K for Hank Aaron Award - + bonuses he has earned: 100K for 2005 All-Star selection, $100K for 2006 Gold Glove, $100K for 2006 silver slugger, $200K for 2006 NL MVP fourth place finish - + the deal includes a full No-Trade clause - + he receives a personal pitching machine from the team - + some traveling costs for his family is paid by the team - + he receives the best available 15-person luxury suite at all home games, including the post-season, though he must pay for post-season tickets - + he receives a Hotel Suite when on the road - + the team will lease him a conditioned ocular (eye) enhancer machine (a device that throws colored, numbered tennis balls to batters at 150 mph or faster) - + will contribute 150K annually to a charity of his choice and 150K annually to charity of club's choice - + the team has agreed not to offer him arbitration when he becomes a Free Agent after the contract expires in 2011 (meaning the team must decide whether or not to re-sign him by Dec. 7th, 2011) - + the Player's Association values the deal at $115,726,946, using a 6 percent discount rate (the prime rate plus 1 percent, rounded to the nearest whole number) and MLB values the deal at $116,695,898 for the purposes of the luxury tax, which currently uses a 3.62 percent discount rate

We all saw how a player who's in the last year of his contract might not have the trade value we perceive. (See, for example, Freddy Garcia.) Perhaps that would drive down what the Jays can demand in exchange for Wells.

Signing him long-term would be another matter, of course. But if the Sox are dumping/freeing up salary with moves like the Freddy trade, maybe this means Kenny wants to have the cash to sign a player like Wells to a long-term deal.

We can hope....