Williams working on extension for Buehrle/Garcia

Gene Honda Civic

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...rtnered=rss_mlb

Buehrle and Garcia both have one year left on their respective contracts, but Williams begged off a question Monday in regard to contract extensions being broached with either pitcher. It's an indirect approach Williams rarely takes, but he was honoring an agreement made with one of the two pitchers not to talk about the negotiations.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Interesting. Could be a nice surprise.

However, Any possibility they are working on an extension to make them more attractive?

I don't recall the last time a veteran had his contract extended multiple years, and was then traded.

It could also be a ploy by KW to try and get teams into thinking he won't trade one of them. I can only hope.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Interesting. Could be a nice surprise.

However, Any possibility they are working on an extension to make them more attractive?

Well, one thing I thought about with the Carpenter extension was maybe that it was setting a market for Mark more so than anyone else. Maybe something a little smaller, like 5/55, although, I am not personally in favor of such a deal.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
Any extension would likely come with a limited no trade clause like the ones that Contreras and Garland received on their extensions. It gives them a year or two of stability, but gives the Sox wiggle room at the end of the contract.

If it brought down the money or the years, I'd be very willing to make the no-trade clause last longer. Especially on Mark.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
Well, one thing I thought about with the Carpenter extension was maybe that it was setting a market for Mark more so than anyone else. Maybe something a little smaller, like 5/55, although, I am not personally in favor of such a deal.

Mark Buehrle might get $20 million more than that next year if he hits the open market and only signs a 5 year deal. He might get $40 million more than that if he signs a 6 year deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
If it brought down the money or the years, I'd be very willing to make the no-trade clause last longer. Especially on Mark.

Mark Buehrle might get $20 million more than that next year if he hits the open market and only signs a 5 year deal. He might get $40 million more than that if he signs a 6 year deal.

Not if he has another season like last season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)

Yeah, he might. But not from his beloved Cardinals, that's for sure. And not if he struggles again this year. And not if the market reacts harshly to this spending spree going on right now.

It's very easy to say he might get this and he might get that, but in all reality, would YOU turn down a chance at $55 million in guaranteed money and a chance to stay with the only organization you have ever been with (and recently won a World Championship with), to gamble at 5/75? I mean, I realize that is an extra 20 million there, but in all practical terms, what could he do with $15 million a year that he couldn't do with $11 million annually?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Yeah, he might. But not from his beloved Cardinals, that's for sure. And not if he struggles again this year. And not if the market reacts harshly to this spending spree going on right now.

It's very easy to say he might get this and he might get that, but in all reality, would YOU turn down a chance at $55 million in guaranteed money and a chance to stay with the only organization you have ever been with (and recently won a World Championship with), to gamble at 5/75? I mean, I realize that is an extra 20 million there, but in all practical terms, what could he do with $15 million a year that he couldn't do with $11 million annually?

No I'd take it. A pitcher on a 1 year deal could blow out an arm and get nothing in 08. I hope that doesn't happen, but it's something to consider as a player. Mark has also been offered an extension before and turned it down a few years ago (I can't remember when but someone else will remember too). He then pitched poorly for a while and was kidded that he should have taken the extension when he had the chance.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
No I'd take it. A pitcher on a 1 year deal could blow out an arm and get nothing in 08. I hope that doesn't happen, but it's something to consider as a player. Mark has also been offered an extension before and turned it down a few years ago (I can't remember when but someone else will remember too). He then pitched poorly for a while and was kidded that he should have taken the extension when he had the chance.

He did take the extension, though, after the worst season of his life up until now. Unless I'm horribly mistaken.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
He did take the extension, though, after the worst season of his life up until now. Unless I'm horribly mistaken.

According to mlb4u, you'd be absolutely correct

3-Year worth 18M- will make 3.5M in 2004, 6M in 2005 and 7.75M in 2006- deal includes 2007 option worth 9.5M or 1M buyout- + bonuses he has received: 15K for 2005 All-Star selection, 10K for 2005 All-Star game start, 60K for 2005 5th place Cy Young finish- + 2007 option worth $9.5M was EXERCISED by CHW on 10/30/06

Suggesting he signed his contract after 2003, when he had a 4.14 ERA and 1.35 WHIP, due in large part by his horrendous May of that season

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
On the other hand, this could be KW's way of saying "take it or leave it". It seems more likely now than ever that Garcia, Buehrle, or Vazquez will get traded in the next 2 weeks.

I still dont like the idea of trading Mark because he has been our ace. For me if we are trading our starters, I would trade Jose because he is old and we can get more for him now that he has pitched well for us.

With the way SP costs now and if we can get great trade value from Vazquez, I would not mind seeing him traded soon.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
I still dont like the idea of trading Mark because he has been our ace. For me if we are trading our starters, I would trade Jose because he is old and we can get more for him now that he has pitched well for us.

With the way SP costs now and if we can get great trade value from Vazquez, I would not mind seeing him traded soon.

According to some, Jose has a no-trade clause thru 2007.

Considering 5/75 was being bandied about as a MINIMUM for Buehrle to be re-signed when he was pitching well mid-season, getting him to a 5/55 deal, seems like a pretty good deal from our end, especially when you consider the current market price of starting pitching free agency.

Now if he pitches like the MB of old after he signs that deal, it'll be a masterstroke by KW. And I think something will get done, he's basically the face of the franchise in my mind.

That said, I hope Buehrle is getting PLENTY of rest this off-season, especially that arm, because I think that's what caused the problems for him this season, too many innings in that arm too soon.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Now if he pitches like the MB of old after he signs that deal, it'll be a masterstroke by KW. And I think something will get done, he's basically the face of the franchise in my mind.

That said, I hope Buehrle is getting PLENTY of rest this off-season, especially that arm, because I think that's what caused the problems for him this season, too many innings in that arm too soon.

I'm not sure what money he'd likely get--though a 3 yr deal seems the sox "norm". But Mark is a great candidate to bounce back. He's been one of the league's most consistent SP's for yrs.

One thing though is I hope Mark's working his ass off getting in great condition. By his own account, Mark needed to get into better shape. He rested too much in the 05 offseason. I know his arm needed it. But Mark basically took it too easy.

This is KW posturing for potential trade partners. He wants to make it look like he's not eager to trade any of his pitchers and that he's trying to extend their contracts.

My fearless forecast is that neither will get a contract extension until one of them is traded. Then an extension for the remaining one is possible, but not likely. Given the hyper-inflation of the current market, this is not the time for a team to create new contracts when they don't have to.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)

Juan Gonzalez says hi.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
On the other hand, this could be KW's way of saying "take it or leave it". It seems more likely now than ever that Garcia, Buehrle, or Vazquez will get traded in the next 2 weeks.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
This is KW posturing for potential trade partners. He wants to make it look like he's not eager to trade any of his pitchers and that he's trying to extend their contracts.

I'd say it's definitely one of these scenarios, if not both. He's either trying to lock one of these guys up for another three years (and I'll bet low-balling Freddy big-time) before FA inflates their price tags or trying to increase their trade value by playing the "I don't NEED to trade ANY of my pitchers" card. My money is on Freddy getting traded, as he has pretty much zero chance of re-signing with the Sox when he hits free agency.

This is great news. We sign one of these guys and it may get some of you all that want to trade half of our rotation for prospects to maybe finally realize we aren't a small market team right now and are able to spend money and keep our horses together.

Yes we should have young guys waiting, but why force them into things when we can let them slowly develop. Even if one signs an extension, Bmac will be in the rotation and on top of that this team may have the resources to still go out and sign someone else.

Kenny doesn't care about next year, he knows with these guys under contract he can worry about shaking things up next year if he needs to (payroll wise). Thats why I don't understand all this concern over prospects, we have no reason to force the issue to trade guys (especially if we resign one of them).

What star are we going to lose if 4 of our starters are signed and the 5th is Bmac. Our pen is young and Kenny trades our relievers before they become FA's anyway (which keeps them cheap) and aside from Dye, all of our bats are signed or at least under our control (although Crede may end up being gone via trade).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
This is great news. We sign one of these guys

I agree, if Buehrle is the one who is re-signed. Unless he's willing to take a paycut, I'd rather not see the Sox re-sign Freddy and his mid-80's fastball.