SOXTALK ELECTIONS

NorthSideSox72

Vote for President of Soxtalk Nation  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who shall be "President" of Soxtalk Nation?

• Gregory Pratt
    • NorthSideSox72
    • Rex Kicka***
    • sox4lifeinPA
    • Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Could you please capitalize Texan :D

For a brief moment I thought of starting a PM campaign and decided I won't. I don't like spam and I believe most people do not like spam.

I am glad PA, in a joking manner went negative, I am glad GP out hustled everyone, I wish that an openly Gay candidate could do this well in more places around the country than just cyber-elections. We have many vignettes here which made the process worthwhile.

fixed :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
It ain't over.

Most of the regular posters, and honestly, the people I was most interested in, have voted, from here on out, it's just not that important to me. As far as I am concerned Rex is the winner and I applaud him. I agreed with many of his positions. If some more people are coerced into voting, that's wonderful.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I PMed some people, absolutely. Nothing wrong with asking people for their votes especially people that wouldn't have voted otherwise.

I didn't have a problem with it FWIW. Usually I listen to the recorded messages from some random person naming each of my registered voter in my family to vote for a certain party.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
I didn't have a problem with it FWIW. Usually I listen to the recorded messages from some random person naming each of my registered voter in my family to vote for a certain party.

The problem that a couple candidates have is we are mods and from time to time we have suspended accounts for spamming members. It would be difficult for us to talk about no spamming rigfht after spamming.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
I hardly consider electioneering to be spam.

I guess it depends on how seriously someone takes the actual voting versus debating the issues. To me, the actual counting of the votes was secondary to the debates and reading the well thought out positions. You seemed to put more importance on electioneering. Which is an excellent commentary on why we get the people elected we do.

To me receiving a PM from someone I don't normally receive PMs from and asking them to look at a thread and vote is spamming. It is at least close enough for me to not want to do it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
I guess it depends on how seriously someone takes the actual voting versus debating the issues. To me, the actual counting of the votes was secondary to the debates and reading the well thought out positions. You seemed to put more importance on electioneering. Which is an excellent commentary on why we get the people elected we do.

To me receiving a PM from someone I don't normally receive PMs from and asking them to look at a thread and vote is spamming. It is at least close enough for me to not want to do it.

who knew this great conversation would arise from all of this?

I hope Greg understands, at least from my perspective, I don't think PMing people is a bad idea...I almost did it. So in a lot of ways I think it was innovative, much like when I made the first sig or started the ask PA thread. I think the debatable issue is how far is it ok to intrude on people's lives? what exactly designates intrusion?

discuss.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
who knew this great conversation would arise from all of this?

I hope Greg understands, at least from my perspective, I don't think PMing people is a bad idea...I almost did it. So in a lot of ways I think it was innovative, much like when I made the first sig or started the ask PA thread. I think the debatable issue is how far is it ok to intrude on people's lives? what exactly designates intrusion?

discuss.

This mirrored real world elections in more ways that I thought. I used a kind of formula that basically started out with name recognition and subtracted negative energy because I felt that thousands of posts would be more important than the debates. Based on that I felt that NorthSide and Rex would be the two strongest candidates. I failed to consider a direct PM campaign because I felt it wasn't appropriate. I didn't think GP had the name recognition in the buster of the other candidates. I felt PA and I had higher negative energy which dropped us out.

I know a few of the people who voted for me had actually read all the threads and posts and for that I was truly humbled.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
I agree with all of those thoughts. I think the people that voted for me hate all of you and by default HAD to vote for me :)

You had the conservative vote about locked up.

BTW, since the race for 2nd is very close, let me be more clear - I will close the thread at precisely 8am on Friday morning. I can't promise Thursday night because that's my B-Day and I don't think I'll be doing much computering that night.

Unless someone is willing to shut it down for me at midnight Thursday night?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
BTW, since the race for 2nd is very close, let me be more clear - I will close the thread at precisely 8am on Friday morning. I can't promise Thursday night because that's my B-Day and I don't think I'll be doing much computering that night.

Unless someone is willing to shut it down for me at midnight Thursday night?

I'm just going to program it to do as such.

If you guys really wanted to make it a politcal campaign, you would interrupt everyone's favorite thread with 3 consecutive negative posts about the other canidates.

"Democrat Texsox. Same old "raise your post count" story."

(That's a reference to a republican ad abuot a Democrat raising taxes. Including greiving families to pay a death tax!) :D

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
Third place is fine by me. Better than I worried I'd do.

It's like the Iowa Caucasus and the unknown picks up traction while a supposed front runner bites the dust. :cheers

I'm not unknown. I just think it's rather clear that I'm unpopular with some people around here.

Which isn't to complain or anything. Just saying. I have a lot more friends than I thought I did at this site, though, since I got quite a few PMs urging me on in addition to the ones I sent.