Bmac Snippet

Chisoxfn

McCarthy recently purchased a residence in the Phoenix area and has added 10 pounds of muscle under the supervision of physical therapist Brett Fischer, whose clients include Randy Johnson and Joe Nathan.

Thought this was good to hear. I think Brandon has a pretty thin frame but he should be able to consistently add 10-15 pounds of muscle each off-season for the next couple years. I really think that will help him eventually settle into throwing consistently in the 93 MPH range while ocassionally being able to go a little harder. I also think it will make him better able to handle the bumps and bruises of an entire season of starting.

That was also mentioned in the Southtown on Sunday:

"I think (being a reliever is) a little bit, I won't say counterproductive, but I think I'm best utilized as a starter," said McCarthy, who has worked out four hours a day in Arizona this offseason, has gained 10 pounds of muscle and said he's in "the best shape of my life."

Working out 4 hours a day and in the best shape of his life. Definitely good to hear.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/158444,031spt2.article

Not to bring the room down, but it baffles me how personal trainers recommend him working out every day for fours per day. He's gained ten pounds, but there is a good chance that all that exercise will turn into over training and begin to negatively affect McCarthy down the road, specifically late in the season.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Not to bring the room down, but it baffles me how personal trainers recommend him working out every day for fours per day. He's gained ten pounds, but there is a good chance that all that exercise will turn into over training and begin to negatively affect McCarthy down the road, specifically late in the season.

You never know though...he's still such a young kid, and this seems to be his first serious workout regimen. Obviously by looking at his frame, he really could use it and hopefully it adds to his velocity. Don't worry though...if he hits the wall at the end of the season, many of us will be blaming KW/Ozzie for mishandling him in 2006. Good news about Lester though... I know he's your boy.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)

Depends which muscle groups you are working on each day. Mix in CV workouts with rotational upper and lower body groups and you are fine.

The article refers to a physical therapist by the way not a personal trainer big difference.

Edited by ptatc

Nobody is going to tell me that working out four hours per day, seven days per week can happen without overtraining. It can't. Period.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You never know though...he's still such a young kid, and this seems to be his first serious workout regimen. Obviously by looking at his frame, he really could use it and hopefully it adds to his velocity. Don't worry though...if he hits the wall at the end of the season, many of us will be blaming KW/Ozzie for mishandling him in 2006. Good news about Lester though... I know he's your boy.

I'm no cancer connaisseur, but it's certainly good news hearing that he's done so soon with his chemo. Still, my mother had cancer and it was a scary thing, every couple of weeks, when she would need to get rechecked for it coming back.

God bless him though, I can't imagine going through what he's gone through at any age no less in his early twenties.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
Nobody is going to tell me that working out four hours per day, seven days per week can happen without overtraining. It can't. Period.

I'm sure he gets one day off. That is standard procedure.