Rumor:Garcia to Philles for Arow + Madson/Floyd

joeynach

Here is what it says.

Phillies GM Pat Gillick is reportedly willing to send Aaron Rowand and either Ryan Madson or Gavin Floyd to the White Sox for Freddy Garcia.

It'd be a fair trade for both teams. We prefer the White Sox's side -- both Mark Buehrle and Javier Vazquez are more valuable properties than Garcia in our eyes -- but the Phillies probably wouldn't lose all that much going from Rowand to Shane Victorino.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phillies GM Pat Gillick is reportedly willing to send Aaron Rowand and either Ryan Madson or Gavin Floyd to the White Sox for Freddy Garcia.

It'd be a fair trade for both teams. We prefer the White Sox's side -- both Mark Buehrle and Javier Vazquez are more valuable properties than Garcia in our eyes -- but the Phillies probably wouldn't lose all that much going from Rowand to Shane Victorino.

More rotoworld

Latest I read was Rowand and Eric Madsden or Gavin Floyd for Freddy Garcia.... at least Phillie is willing to do that. I don't know if Floyd or Madsden will translate over to the AL, both a good prospects and Floyd is still very young, but I hate trading proven goods like Garcia and Id rather deal Mr Basketcase anyway.

The Phils don't have the prospects I'd want to make this deal plausible. If somehow we got Rollins instead of Rowand than I'd listen and be quite interested. Both Madsen and Floyd are relatively talented but neither can be considered top prospects at this point anymore, imo.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Here is what it says.

If this went through....

In 12 months time, It's basically Daniel Haigwood, Gio Gonzalez, and Freddie Garcia for Thome, $$$, and either Ryan Madson or Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
The Phils don't have the prospects I'd want to make this deal plausible. If somehow we got Rollins instead of Rowand than I'd listen and be quite interested. Both Madsen and Floyd are relatively talented but neither can be considered top prospects at this point anymore, imo.

Both these guys suck Madson had a 5.69 ERA last year and Flloyd a 7+ ERA, not looking like top prospects to me more like guys the Phillies dont know what do with anymore. Gimmie Cole Hamels and u got a deal.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
I'm a fan of this proposed deal.

why?

is rowand, including money in your evaluation, that much of an improvement over Anderson...if at all? Are we really improving in CF? Unless one of the two disappointing prospects are what makes this appealing to you.

No way KW will make this deal. the Sox are holding the high card here and the Phillies are acting like they do...if Philly wants Garcia we should talk, but its going to take more than a 26 year old pitcher (though solid) and a decent CF...for a starting pitcher, Gillick will have to up the ante'.

Latest is both NY teams are eyeing Buehrle...someone will no doubt start a post on this

The Yankees and Mets are showing interest in Mark Buehrle, according to MLB.com.

MLB.com offered up a rumor last night that the Mets and White Sox had discussed swapping Buehrle and Lastings Milledge, but none of the New York or Chicago papers followed up on it, suggesting there wasn't much to it. The Yankees have Melky Cabrera to offer if the White Sox believe he can handle center field. Buehrle will become a free agent after making $9.5 million next season.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
why?

is rowand, including money in your evaluation, that much of an improvement over Anderson...if at all? Are we really improving in CF? Unless one of the two disappointing prospects are what makes this appealing to you.

I would assume that Rowand would move to LF (or BA would), or be the fourth outfielder. If that isn't the case, then the deal isn't nearly as good as my previous thought.

Plus, Rowand knows (or did know when he was in Chicago) how to hit lefties, which would be a beautiful thing to see in this lineup.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I would assume that Rowand would move to LF (or BA would), or be the fourth outfielder. If that isn't the case, then the deal isn't nearly as good as my previous thought.

You really think Rowand wouldn't be placed in CF, and Anderson shown the door? You know Ozzie better than that, Felix my man!

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
You really think Rowand wouldn't be placed in CF, and Anderson shown the door? You know Ozzie better than that, Felix my man!

I don't think that Anderson would be shown the door, but he would probably be made the fourth outfielder, which is still a good spot for him. I think offensively and defensively the two players are a push, so either way, I'm not complaining.

(I'm also a Rowand fan, which twists my opinion a bit perhaps)

After about 10 minutes to rethink this trade, this might be the worst possible scenario that has been mentioned yet. Not only is the "prospect" we would acquire not very good, but Rowand is a 4th outfielder. I'd rather have McCarthy start the year in AAA than have this trade occur. However, I'm confident in saying this deal won't take place.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)

mmm hmmm. Rowand wouldnt exactly fill a pressing need, but Rollins surely would.