Rumor:Garcia to Philles for Arow + Madson/Floyd

joeynach

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You never know is all one can say about rumors, but what really are the Sox gaining here? We trade a proven #1 or #2 starter for a good CF'er while we have 3 potential CF'ers iun waiting? We aren't trading from strength and adding what we need. What we need is top tier bullpen help. I luv A-Row abd maybe the team chemistry improves with him back, but this doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Felix,

On Rowand's best day in the outfield, he doesn't have Anderson's range. Not even close. Nor the arm.

If there were ever a scenario in which they were in the same outfield, there's no way in hell Anderson would be in left. They are not a "push" defensively by any stretch of the imagination.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Nightmare offseason checklist:

- Bring back Pods

- Bring back Sandy

- Trade one of our starters for Rowand

Wow -- we have the same list. Actually, the last line on mine is " Trade one of our starters for Rowand or trade one of our starters for a middle reliever and a LOOGY"

I can't decide which deal I like less the Rowand one, or the starter for Yankee relief pitching one.

I really don't understand our interest in Rowand. I think Sweeney and Anderson are both better than he is in CF. Plus Rowand was no great shakes in the lineup, so what is the big deal? How does he help our team get better?

FLoyd and Madson do absolutely nothing for me. We have no use for either one. Floyd has been in the majors twice and has wet his pants both times. Madson is nothing at all. He may be a decent bullpen guy if anything, but a 4th OF'er and a decent relief pitcher is not what I want to get in return for a top notch starter. That is just ridiculous.

Jimmy Rollins is where the conversation should start. If they are unwilling to part with him then hang up the freakin' phone. We don't need anything else that the phillies have to offer. I take that back - Cole Hamels would be a nice addition as well. Either one of those 2 guys is where the conversation should start.Then go from there.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
I think someone needs to go all Tonya Harding on Aaron Rowand.

Or we could just put a fence like 30 m. in front of Aaron and tell him to go.

We don't need Rowand.. The other two Madson and Floyd are not anything intriguing.

Why not get Burrell. Walker will get his RISP up from 221. Why give away GARCIA...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
The Phils don't have the prospects I'd want to make this deal plausible. If somehow we got Rollins instead of Rowand than I'd listen and be quite interested. Both Madsen and Floyd are relatively talented but neither can be considered top prospects at this point anymore, imo.

I don't want Rowand, and combine that with the fact that Philly's farm system is pretty bare. Gio is really the only prospect I'm interested in.

Living in the Philly area, I can tell you a few things. Number 1, Gavin Floyd is a bust. The Phils are trying talk him up to salvage his value. He was brutal this past season and sent down once they brought up Hamels. Number 2, Ryan Madson is no bullpen savior. I'd rather have Riske and others over him. He is still very sour over losing a potiental starting rotation spot to Hamels, and then again when they acquired Jamie Moyer. Third and finally, Jimmy Rollins is OVERRATED. He is not a very good lead off hitter. Many people in Philly would be happier if he batted 6th in the lineup. He doesn't do the lead off things like clucth hitting or situational hitter. He'd rather be a guy that goes for the long ball before beating a bunt out. His stolen base ratio is spotty because he doesn't run as much as he should and he ran all over the poor pitching in the AL. Overall, I would stay far away from a deal with the Phillies. I wouldn't give up much, if anything really for Rowand because he is going to be replaced in Philly with Shane Victoriano.