Rumor:Garcia to Philles for Arow + Madson/Floyd

joeynach

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
I'm beginning to get the feeling that there are going to be some sad and whiny people by the end of this offseason.

If this is any indication of what we can expect in a deal, ya damn right there'll be some whiny people...and I think rightfully so.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Living in the Philly area, I can tell you a few things. Number 1, Gavin Floyd is a bust. The Phils are trying talk him up to salvage his value. He was brutal this past season and sent down once they brought up Hamels. Number 2, Ryan Madson is no bullpen savior. I'd rather have Riske and others over him. He is still very sour over losing a potiental starting rotation spot to Hamels, and then again when they acquired Jamie Moyer. Third and finally, Jimmy Rollins is OVERRATED. He is not a very good lead off hitter. Many people in Philly would be happier if he batted 6th in the lineup. He doesn't do the lead off things like clucth hitting or situational hitter. He'd rather be a guy that goes for the long ball before beating a bunt out. His stolen base ratio is spotty because he doesn't run as much as he should and he ran all over the poor pitching in the AL. Overall, I would stay far away from a deal with the Phillies. I wouldn't give up much, if anything really for Rowand because he is going to be replaced in Philly with Shane Victoriano.

Excellent breakdown. From your post, I've learned the Phillies are only offering trading players who have been or are going to be replaced by better players. And in return for trading no one of value from their team they receive a quality AL starting pitcher? Horrible trade.

While this would be a bad trade for the Sox, no one should be upset about this rumor. I love to be critical of KW as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to criticize KW over a rumor. I'm sure the Phills made this trade offer, and KW may be negotiating with them, but given the nature of the market, KW is smart enough to know that he can get considerably more for Garcia.

This is just a rumor of a trade that KW will not make. That doesn't mean that he won't necessarily re-acquire Rowand, but if he does so, it will be in a better package than this one.

I do think the Sox want Rowand back, but fortunately KW is not stupid. I'm sure the Phillies with try to use KW's aggressiveness to their advantage. We all know KW will overpay for a guy he really wants, but he values his pitching too much for this to be true. If that is what the Phillies' are asking for Aaron, I'd end the talks.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Can we please close this thread? C'mon Jason, Kalapse, Greasy. Anybody with the power. This trade proposal makes me literally sick to my stomach.

Well I could have but since my name wasn't mentioned, I will not. :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
Well I could have but since my name wasn't mentioned, I will not. :P

And since my name was mentioned (feeding my ego quite nicely) I will close this thread for exactly 60 seconds then open it back up again so 20 or so more people can say how horrible this trade is before the thread slides down the page and is forgotten forever.

Well, that was fun.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
I do think the Sox want Rowand back, but fortunately KW is not stupid. I'm sure the Phillies with try to use KW's aggressiveness to their advantage. We all know KW will overpay for a guy he really wants, but he values his pitching too much for this to be true. If that is what the Phillies' are asking for Aaron, I'd end the talks.

That's one thing that most people seem to overlook with KW. I can't count how many times I've seen a post that shows mistrust in KW's decisions, but the guy ain't stupid. He really knows what he's doing for the present and the future.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
Yeah, that Aaron Rowand really sucks.

He only was starting cf and team leader on a world championship team in a city

that hadn't won one since the days of radio instead of TV.

Bring back Aaron!

Can I ask you this question Greg, if Brian Anderson was our starting CF in 2005, do you still think we would have won the world series?

Or is it only because we had the almighty Aaron Rowand in CF that we did indeed reach our destiny?

If we could get Rowand for next to nothing, great. Otherwise.. why? Is his defensive shortcomings and megar bat really that much more impressive than a guy, who if he can manage to play 5 or 6 games in a row w/o getting yanked next year has already shown he has more talent and ability than Arow will ever have? I mean give Anderson a break. Rowand is not just a step down, hes potentially a BIG step down if and when Brian can put some consistency in his swing.

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 03:42 AM)
If we could get Rowand for next to nothing, great. Otherwise.. why? Is his defensive shortcomings and megar bat really that much more impressive than a guy, who if he can manage to play 5 or 6 games in a row w/o getting yanked next year has already shown he has more talent and ability than Arow will ever have? I mean give Anderson a break. Rowand is not just a step down, hes potentially a BIG step down if and when Brian can put some consistency in his swing.

I'm of the opinion that Anderson will probably have a better year, both offensively and defensively, than Rowand. But don't try to say that Rowand's bad defensively though. He's still an upper echelon defender in CF.

Regarding the actual rumor itself, I would make Garcia for Rowand and Madson in any other year but this year. It favors the White Sox, but KW not jumping on that deal right away leaves me quite optimistic not only about the type of package he is looking for, but about the type of package he will get.

(and I still wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the deal leaves both those who want minor league talent up the wazoo and those who want outstanding major league talent slightly disappointed, though overall happy with the deal)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
I'm of the opinion that Anderson will probably have a better year, both offensively and defensively, than Rowand. But don't try to say that Rowand's bad defensively though. He's still an upper echelon defender in CF.

^^^

Rowand's effort is certainly tops, bar none, and that makes him appear better than he probably is. Anderson has more talent, but its not showing. BA will need to show improvement this year if he is a Sock, cause I think he will be gone if he doesn't bat above .250-.260.

From roto...

The Philadelphia Inquirer says a deal sending Jon Lieber to Milwaukee for Kevin Mench and Derrick Turnbow is in place, pending the result of the Phillies' negotiations with the White Sox.

The Phillies might not make the trade unless they can get Freddy Garcia from the White Sox, probably using Aaron Rowand and Gavin Floyd. It's unclear whether that will work, and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen isn't wild about the idea. "We have a center fielder right now," Guillen said. "I won't trade one of my pitchers one-for-one for Rowand right now. He's a good player, but we're not desperate for a center fielder. I love Aaron, but we need more."

Please don't do this trade KW!

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
From roto...

The Philadelphia Inquirer says a deal sending Jon Lieber to Milwaukee for Kevin Mench and Derrick Turnbow is in place, pending the result of the Phillies' negotiations with the White Sox.

The Phillies might not make the trade unless they can get Freddy Garcia from the White Sox, probably using Aaron Rowand and Gavin Floyd. It's unclear whether that will work, and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen isn't wild about the idea. "We have a center fielder right now," Guillen said. "I won't trade one of my pitchers one-for-one for Rowand right now. He's a good player, but we're not desperate for a center fielder. I love Aaron, but we need more."

Please don't do this trade KW!

If we were getting Turnbow, Rollins and Rowand I'd do it.

I have looked at the 2005 team and considered how it accomplished what the all-star Yankee team could not. That difference is hard to describe but to illustrate it by example I would point to Rowand. However, on additional consideration, I can't deny the difference was quite likely Mark, Jon, Freddy, and Jose. Still, I like Aaron and would take him back for a fair price.

SFF