Hawk makes final Hall Ballot

Balta1701

Linkity.

Ken "Hawk" Harrelson has been named as one of 10 finalists for the 2007 Ford C. Frick Award for Excellence in Broadcasting.

Harrelson received 6,795 fan votes through online voting, which was conducted throughout the month of November, placing him third out of a pool of nearly 200 radio and television broadcasters. As one of the top three vote-getters, Harrelson has earned an automatic spot on the final ballot along with Bill King and Joe Nuxhall. The remaining seven candidates were selected by a research committee. The winner of the Ford C. Frick Award will be announced on February 22, 2007 and will be honored during Hall of Fame Weekend, July 27-30, in Cooperstown, New York.

Other link, with the rest of the ballot.

The White Sox television voice joins Denny Matthews (Kansas City), Dave Niehaus (Seattle), Dizzy Dean and France Laux (both of St. Louis), Tom Cheek (Toronto), Tony Kubek (Yankees), Joe Nuxhall (Cincinnati), Bill King (Oakland) and broadcasting pioneer Graham McNamee on the ballot.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
Didn't vote for him. I love Hawk, but I don't think he's a Hall Of Fame caliber broadcaster.

The teams he's broadcast hit 5,096 Home Runs during his tenure, true stat. What's the standard for HOF?

Few deserve to get into the HOF as a broadcaster less than Hawk. Do you guys just want him in the HOF because he's a Sox broadcaster? Does that mean you want all Sox players throughout history to be in the HOF too? Hawk is a bad broadcaster, period. Nothing like turning an institution with a proud tradition into a joke.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:22 AM)
Few deserve to get into the HOF as a broadcaster less than Hawk. Do you guys just want him in the HOF because he's a Sox broadcaster? Does that mean you want all Sox players throughout history to be in the HOF too? Hawk is a bad broadcaster, period. Nothing like turning an institution with a proud tradition into a joke.

So who out there is a Hall of Fame broadcaster?

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:22 AM)

You remind me of a poster who used to post around here a lot. Well, actually in two different segments. Hmm.

Denny Matthews should probably get in.

On Boers and Bernstien yesterday, they both expressed the sentiment that Hawk should get in... primarily because he's the first announcer in baseball history to be both the Color Guy and Play-by-Play guy. He's pretty much a blend of both.

You get the feeling that he could be calling games by himself... which actually isn't too far off from what he does now with DJ (I'm sorry... I just couldn't resist it.)

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
DJ reminds me of Uecker's color guy in Major League when Hawk gets going.

It's almost getting to the point of the old Harry Caray days, when Harry would call innings 1-3 and 7-9 and I think it was Milo Hamilton would come over from the radio side and do innings 4-6.

DJ does get to do some pbp.

I think Hawk deserves to be in the hall. He's a homer and at times he annoys me but he has a vast knowledge of the game and he's far more educational to listen to than a lot of the current broadcasters (I hate admitting it but its true).

For a long time the Sox had probably the best booth (in terms of baseball knowledge) in the game (Hawk and Whimpy both could flat out educate the fans about the game) and right now I think DJ is a sharp baseball guy although at times he does have some trouble expressing stuff since he doesn't have the greatest voice (even though I personally love DJ)