No More Mack In Center

tpezz27

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Oh god, Carl was probably the worst cf of all time coming in on balls, it was horrendous.

EDIT: As far as Brian and Mack, they were basically the same offensive player in the 2nd half, you add in the defensive problems of Mack and you realize how ridiculous it was for Mack to be playing so many games out there.

Rob Mackowiak, post all star:

.258 .307 .398 .705

Brian Anderson, post all star:

.257 .301 .393 .694

Rob Mackowiak, by month:

August

.250 .318 .350 .668

September

.194 .235 .355 .590

Brian Anderson by month:

August

296 .367 .437 .804

September

200 .235 .323 .558

Edited by Balta1701

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Actually I don't. Please tell me when and how long this stretch lasted.

To me it looks like you're talking about August 10-15th.

Care to back up your silly claim?

Sure, Balta has posted the second-half offensive numbers for Anderson and Mackowiak, and statistically it's about even. So technically I was incorrect in stating Brian Anderson was the better offensive player than Mackowiak in the second half. That doesn't mean Brian Anderson wasn't the better center field option in the second half of the season. Based on the very close offensive statistics and the large difference in defensive skill, Brian Anderson gave his team a better chance at winning than Rob Mackowiak.

Looking deeper into the statistics, there was a stretch right around the All-Star break when Anderson hit well over .300 after hitting below .200 the entire season. At that time, it was reasonable to wonder if the rookie had started his expected rise to become a good major league hitter. He was certainly on his way. After hitting .313 in July, he continued his improved hitting by posting a .296 average in August. Despite those ample improvements, his manager still continued to start Mackowiak over Anderson. It's rumored Ozzie isn't too fond of Anderson (justified or not), and I wonder if Ozzie's personal approach with BA temporarily retarded his growth and ignited BA's end-of-season hitting slump.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Looking deeper into the statistics, there was a stretch right around the All-Star break when Anderson hit well over .300 after hitting below .200 the entire season. At that time, it was reasonable to wonder if the rookie had started his expected rise to become a good major league hitter. He was certainly on his way. After hitting .313 in July, he continued his improved hitting by posting a .296 average in August. Despite those ample improvements, his manager still continued to start Mackowiak over Anderson. It's rumored Ozzie isn't too fond of Anderson (justified or not), and I wonder if Ozzie's personal approach with BA temporarily retarded his growth and ignited BA's end-of-season hitting slump.

And beyond that, all season, including the parts where he did stink, Anderson was a much better hitter against righties than against lefties (as was Mackowiak for the 1st part of the season). But even when Anderson did begin to improve, Ozzie Guillen would throw Mack out in Center probably a majority of the time when we were facing a right hander, especially in key games, and Anderson always wound up with the lefty, except in 1 game, in which we faced Santana, and of course, Mack's defense in CF helped cost us the game.

But I'm getting sidetracked. The point is, Anderson was a better hitter against righties all year, and Ozzie Guillen felt the need to play Mack in CF over Anderson against such dominant pitchers as Carlos Silva, Bruce Chen, Vicente Padilla, and a few who were even worse. And in almost every one of those games, Mack's defense led to runs scoring for the opposition.

QUOTE(shoota @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So technically I was incorrect in stating Brian Anderson was the better offensive player than Mackowiak in the second half.

You didn't say that. You said "a long stretch" in the second half. I can only find one span where Anderson was hitting better than Mack, and that was from August 10th-15th.

Both of them were on fire in July, yet Ozzie kept trotting Pods in LF :bang

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
You didn't say that. You said "a long stretch" in the second half. I can only find one span where Anderson was hitting better than Mack, and that was from August 10th-15th.

Both of them were on fire in July, yet Ozzie kept trotting Pods in LF :bang

Yes, I was incorrect to say "long stretch."