Steve Phillips....c'mon now

shawnhillegas

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
I don't really care about the numbers. It's about integrity. I don't want any known roiders on my team. I want to win, but I don't want to stoop to the lowest common denominator to do so despite the fact that actual usage of PEDs is probably rampant. I'd like to think the Sox are above that sort of thinking.

I hate to be the one to say it, but if lest say 20% of baseball is or has roided (and thats a small estimate based on the stuff some of the admitted roiders have said) it be wrong to just assume the White Sox don't have any guys that did or have juiced.

Frankly all I can do is hope they don't but thats it and I'm not going to not trade for a guy just because his name was linked to steroid rumors (obviously in Bonds case his name is the main name but s***, I don't care, he produces at ridiculously amazing clips when healthy).

And I'm not advocating him coming to the Sox (although I'd be giddy if we did get him at 1yr 10 mill) but I am saying any team that gets him will be one of the big winners of FA.

i love bonds and i hope it happens...... even with his age he could still hit over 30 in the cell......we would have a potent lineup and pods could be the 4th outfielder and play a lot. Also it would bring tons of national games to the southside and the stadium would fill even more especially when he breaks the record.....go burn your jereseys and tear up your tickets i love bonds

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
Forgiveness, it seems, is the better part of valor. I'm not familiar with the Vasquez situation, but I suppose life's about second chances. IIRC, Olivo was caught using at some point in our system, too? Anyway, I'm pretty sure Barry's used up his 9 strikes.

Olivo was caught with a corked bat, but we have had a few guys busted for steroids in the minors. Far less than pretty much any organization, but we've still had guys caught and I'm sure there are still guys in our system that roid and haven't been caught (just like there are in every system).

If your about done or know that your just a mediocre prospect and this is your career at some point they are going to say what the hell and give it a chance and hope they put themselves on the map and get a call up to the minors where they can make some legit dough or do good enough to where they can go play overseas and get paid pretty well.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Morse got caught in the Seattle system, right? I thought Olivo was caught doing something illegal in our system. I could definitely be mistaken. I certainly don't intend to start any nasty rumors.

Morse got suspended with Seattle, but he said the positive test was when he was with us.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
I hate to be the one to say it, but if lest say 20% of baseball is or has roided (and thats a small estimate based on the stuff some of the admitted roiders have said) it be wrong to just assume the White Sox don't have any guys that did or have juiced.

Frankly all I can do is hope they don't but thats it and I'm not going to not trade for a guy just because his name was linked to steroid rumors (obviously in Bonds case his name is the main name but s***, I don't care, he produces at ridiculously amazing clips when healthy).

And I'm not advocating him coming to the Sox (although I'd be giddy if we did get him at 1yr 10 mill) but I am saying any team that gets him will be one of the big winners of FA.

Freudian slip?

:P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)

While I don't assume the Sox have been and are totally PED free, acquiring someone like Bonds seems to advocate it. That's the perception I don't want associated with the Sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
While I don't assume the Sox have been and are totally PED free, acquiring someone like Bonds seems to advocate it. That's the perception I don't want associated with the Sox.

That's my feeling as well. I can't get upset and Player X who might cheat, because well, I don't know if he does or not. Bonds, we all know. Therefore, he becomes the target. I feel the same way about McGuire, Canseco and Palmeiro.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
The Sox already tried the experiment with the malcontent, clubhouse-cancer, power-hitting LF a decade ago. It didn't work out then, so I don't see why it'd work now.

Albert Belle? The first year it didn't work out too great, but the second year, Belle put up one of the greatest single season performances in White Sox history. It's not his fault that the Sox best starting pitcher had a 4.80 ERA... You wanna talk about an awful staff? Look at some of those numbers, and I swear, no one will ever complain about Javy Vazquez ever again.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
So would you rather have him or Ramirez?

No doubt...Manny, but we don't have to give up anything to get Bonds (well I guess some of you all assume we'd be giving up our souls to sign Bonds). But if we got Manny I'd be the first person to own his jersey (considering he may be my favorite non White Sox).

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Why would you boycott the Sox for trying to improve by signing one of the best players on the market and one of the greatest players of all time? That's a bit ridiculous.

Because I don't go to see the Sox JUST because of the talent on the field. I expect people to have some respect for the game, if I am going to contribute to their $10M a year. If not, they can do whatever they want, but they aren't getting my money to do it. Just my choice.

Bonds is not going to jail.

And I would prefer Bonds to Manny.

I also would watch the Sox 2x as much to make up for all the people who claim they wouldnt watch.

And to them I say, I hear the Northsiders are fielding a great team, why dont you root for them if your allegiance is based on 1 player.