Steve Phillips....c'mon now

shawnhillegas

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOu guys are acting like idiots. CMon its barry bonds. He still is in OPS machine and would hit 35 homers in our park. If we got him we would once again be the favorite to win this year. Not to mention that Boston is loading up and the yanks always have a great lineup. YOu honestly can tell me that he would not improve our team drastically over anyone else.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
As for speed and defense IF he is somewhat healthy which I am not sure of, he is a better leftfielder than Pods.

You're joking, right? An arm has less to do with defense than overall speed. Bonds is barely better than ManRam out there.

Taking all feelings of Bonds aside, I just don't know if it's the right move for the team from a stats standpoint. There's no way to think he'll be completely healthy all year, so do you platoon out in LF with Pods? That's a strange platoon for Ozzie to deal with. Of course, this all presupposes that he's going to cost $10 million+ a year.

The team that made the most sense for him to land on was the Tigers (as their DH, really the only position he should be playing), but now that they have Sheffield, I think the Yanks make sense for him.

The Chicago Tribune's Dave Van Dyck reports the Chicago White Sox will not make a bid for free-agent OF Barry Bonds (Giants), whose San Francisco career appears to be over after 13 years. "I grew up with Barry in the Bay Area," White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said. "I played against him in high school and we maintain a friendly relationship. He is very nice to my kids. And I would just as soon keep it that way."

I'm for it.

Yes, I hate Bonds.

But, I love winning more. And, I love taking headlines away from the flubs.

Bonds wouldn't cost us any players !

If we could sign him cheaply for one year, I could tolerate it.

And, let's face it, it would be pretty cool to see the all-time home run record set in a White Sox uniform.

Give him $ 10 mil. plus incentives for one year. It would definitely increase our chances of winning no matter what anyone says.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm for it.

Yes, I hate Bonds.

But, I love winning more. And, I love taking headlines away from the flubs.

Bonds wouldn't cost us any players !

If we could sign him cheaply for one year, I could tolerate it.

And, let's face it, it would be pretty cool to see the all-time home run record set in a White Sox uniform.

Give him $ 10 mil. plus incentives for one year. It would definitely increase our chances of winning no matter what anyone says.

I'd rather let the Cubs have the headlines than us have one that says we signed Bonds.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
I'd rather let the Cubs have the headlines than us have one that says we signed Bonds.

The deal Bonds' gets will be far-and-away the BEST signed by any of the big name OFers this winter (Drew, Lee, Soriano, Pierre, Matthews). One year for a guaranteed .420 OBP guy? You could leadoff with Brian Anderson and Juan Uribe and still score 900+ runs...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
The deal Bonds' gets will be far-and-away the BEST signed by any of the big name OFers this winter (Drew, Lee, Soriano, Pierre, Matthews). One year for a guaranteed .420 OBP guy? You could leadoff with Brian Anderson and Juan Uribe and still score 900+ runs...

Thanks, but no thanks.

I don't really care about the numbers. It's about integrity. I don't want any known roiders on my team. I want to win, but I don't want to stoop to the lowest common denominator to do so despite the fact that actual usage of PEDs is probably rampant. I'd like to think the Sox are above that sort of thinking.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
I'd like to think the Sox are above that sort of thinking.

IIRC, the Carlos Vasquez guy the Sox acquired in the Cotts deal was suspended for testing positive. Kenny Williams must be associated with the devil for acquiring a known 'roid user.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
I don't really care about the numbers. It's about integrity. I don't want any known roiders on my team. I want to win, but I don't want to stoop to the lowest common denominator to do so despite the fact that actual usage of PEDs is probably rampant. I'd like to think the Sox are above that sort of thinking.

Careful...Nothing is proven...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
IIRC, the Carlos Vasquez guy the Sox acquired in the Cotts deal was suspended for testing positive. Kenny Williams must be associated with the devil for acquiring a known 'roid user.

Forgiveness, it seems, is the better part of valor. I'm not familiar with the Vasquez situation, but I suppose life's about second chances. IIRC, Olivo was caught using at some point in our system, too? Anyway, I'm pretty sure Barry's used up his 9 strikes.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Forgiveness, it seems, is the better part of valor. I'm not familiar with the Vasquez situation, but I suppose life's about second chances. IIRC, Olivo was caught using at some point in our system, too? Anyway, I'm pretty sure Barry's used up his 9 strikes.

You mean Morse?

This is how rumors get started. People throw around names, and other people see those names, and those said people start talking.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
You mean Morse?

This is how rumors get started. People throw around names, and other people see those names, and those said people start talking.

Morse got caught in the Seattle system, right? I thought Olivo was caught doing something illegal in our system. I could definitely be mistaken. I certainly don't intend to start any nasty rumors.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
You mean Morse?

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Morse got caught in the Seattle system, right? I thought Olivo was caught doing something illegal in our system. I could definitely be mistaken. I certainly don't intend to start any nasty rumors.

Olivo was caught with a corked bat in the minors.

I think I'd rather have Podsednik in left field even though I don't want him out there period. Bonds said he wants to play outfield still, well he'd only end up playing no more than 100 games out there anyways, which means we'd need a quality 4th outfielder who might play just as much as Bonds. We already have Thome and Konerko for the DH and First Base, so it's not like Bonds is going to DH a lot either. I just don't see this happening.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
The Angels should be all over Bonds and I think its just a matter of time before they or the Dodgers make a move (even though Coletti swears he won't). Bonds really is a no brainer and one of the few total bargains in this free agent crop.

the dodgers apparently almost have the deal done for Manny, so I dont see them as players.