Sox wanted Lackey, not Santana

joeynach

I was listening to the MLB channel on XM this morning and one of the updates was talking about info that has come out of the winter meetings so far. They said the rumored Garcia/Crede deal to the angels the sox were after John Lackey not Ervin Santana and that was probably the reasion if fell apart. Interesting.

Roto:

The White Sox are reportedly asking for John Lackey from the Angels for Joe Crede.

They're not going to get Ervin Santana for him, and it's highly unlikely that Lackey would go in any deal. Crede's turned into a very good regular, but since he's just two years away from free agency, he's not worth either pitcher.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
Big John Lackey is better than Santana.

Out of the 2 I would like Lackey. Now I would take either, however.

+1

No wonder they didn't go for it. Lackey is their best combination of consistency, experience, and health.

I find it odd that the Angels have been offering Santana as trade bait, but teams like TB and (apprently) the Sox seem hesitant to deal for him. Maybe there's something about him that we don't know. :huh

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
+1

No wonder they didn't go for it. Lackey is their best combination of consistency, experience, and health.

I find it odd that the Angels have been offering Santana as trade bait, but teams like TB and (apprently) the Sox seem hesitant to deal for him. Maybe there's something about him that we don't know. :huh

Well to be fair, anytime anyone deals with TB there is a big AND when you start talking about prospects.

I want CC

Well give us Santana AND 2 high stud prospects, and 1 lower prospect.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
Well to be fair, anytime anyone deals with TB there is a big AND when you start talking about prospects.

I want CC

Well give us Santana AND 2 high stud prospects, and 1 lower prospect.

Yeah, TB's asking prices are insane, even in a market where J.D. Freaking Drew gets $70 million.

KW is awesome! Still wanting his '6' starting pitchers, not 5! KW wants his security in case of injury and i dont blaim him. No other teams can even dream of having a 6 starter cushion. Whatever Kenny does in the next few days, if anything, i trust that it will make our team better.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
KW is awesome! Still wanting his '6' starting pitchers, not 5! KW wants his security in case of injury and i dont blaim him. No other teams can even dream of having a 6 starter cushion. Whatever Kenny does in the next few days, if anything, i trust that it will make our team better.

I was feeling pretty good going into 2006 with a sixth starter (Bmac) but why, when it came time they needed the insurance, they went back to the minor leagues for the replacement? :huh

I love the position of power a sixth starter gives KW, but it is beginning to seem like once the season is underway the team is unable to leverage the talent, and that the sum of the parts winds up being greater then the whole.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan