Schmidt to Dodgers

G&T

Like I said in another thread, this is a good move for the Dodgers. Its a bit much money but if your going to spend a lot of money at least get a guy who when healthy is one of the best pitchers in the NL.

Plus I'd like to think he's 5.33 million a year better than Maddux.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
That deal doesn't seem as outrageous as I was expecting.

he's 33, I thought he was a little older, so yeah, considering what's flying around this offseason, it seems appropriate (again, appropriate in THIS offseason)

Great arm when healthy.

Posted about this quickly in the winter meetings thread, but this has to be a little hit to the Cubs. Reports were they were going hard after him. Now they'll spend probably 10-12 a year on Meche or Lily. So basically they shelled out a ton of cash to A-Ram and Soriano and are going to struggle now to have any significant upgrade to their rotation. (Get ready for Hendry and the Cubune, Levine also, to just start pumping their young pitchers like their Verlander/Bonderman types)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
The Dodgers seem dead set on winning that division now.

Well, they did just guarantee that the Giants and Padres wouldn't be able to pick him up, and replaced Maddux as well. But that division is still going to shape up as a dogfight unless the Dodgers to something to replace J.D. Drew's bat (Kemp + Billingsly for Dye :D )

Dodgers are going to be very good for a long time. Coletti is a top notch GM and Little is a good manager. Better yet they have hired tons of good baseball people throughout the other parts of the organization.

The only problems are the McCourts but they seemed to be willing to take a back seat, although the wife is a total biatch.