Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
s*** -- do we even know for sure if Gio is involved?

Yes.

White Sox manager Kenny Williams let slip during the announcement at baseball's winter meetings that the "player to be named" is pitcher Gio Gonzalez.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2689303

Edited by Felix

Seriously, we save $10 million dollars, JR said b4 the deal we have payroll flexibility, so offer Bonds a one year deal worth $15 million dollars with an option for 2008 based on at-bats. He is 22 homers away from history, we would get so much media exposure because of it and our attendence would keep up. It would be a good deal. We have enough veteran guys to keep Bonds in check like Thome, Kong, Dye and AJ.

Seriously, we save $10 million dollars, JR said b4 the deal we have payroll flexibility, so offer Bonds a one year deal worth $15 million dollars with an option for 2008 based on at-bats. He is 22 homers away from history, we would get so much media exposure because of it and our attendence would keep up. It would be a good deal. We have enough veteran guys to keep Bonds in check like Thome, Kong, Dye and AJ.

I like this trade. We get a future starter, a bullpen arm and save money. No one like us getting Thornton last year and he was our best bullpen arm. I have complete faith in Kenny and Coop and now its time to site back and let them work their magic.

I don't even want to think about Bonds.....That would make me puke more than this deal already has.

There better be something else coming...It will be interesting to see how the press deals with this trade. Will they give Kenny a pass and trust him or will they say- Whats up with this?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)

This team does not want the Bonds circus in town every night. That's not happening.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
I like this trade. We get a future starter, a bullpen arm and save money. No one like us getting Thornton last year and he was our best bullpen arm. I have complete faith in Kenny and Coop and now its time to site back and let them work their magic.

Thats plain wrong IIRC. I seem to remember people being indifferent towards it (could be wrong though)

Bonds would be such a great move...NOT....we'd have the slowest team in major league baseball history...maybe we could get Jermaine Dye to hit leadoff...I hate Bonds as a person and I dont know if the Sox clubhouse would be able to accomodate his recliner. THe dude is a freaking cancer to a team....he's a waste...leave in in Frisco.

Hey Guys,

I'm a phillies fan and I just thought I'd drop in to fill you in on who you're getting.

Gavin Floyd was an absolute failure in his time in the big leagues. He was highly regarded as the future ace of the team all through his career as a minor leaguer. Be it the pressure or the town Gavin has lost all his confidence and most of us Phillies fans think he may never get it back. Most people in Philly were happy to see him leave, he was getting torn up even in the minors last year. Perhaps with a lot of coaching and a change of scenery he can become something, but he won't be a number 1 ever I'm afraid.

As far as Gio, he is a great guy. You all should know him from being in your system. Above average prospect (I would rate him among our top 3 pitching prospects) with a lot of upside. I met him at the Reading Phillies (AA affiliate) photo day and he is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

To be honest I think this is a huge steal for the Phillies. As I said most people wanted Floyd gone (a good number wanted Rowand gone too in order to get Shane Victorino more playing time) and Gio is one of those who can MAYBE be great. Problem is Garcia is already a darn good pitcher, and still fairly young. Pat Gillick knows him from his time in Seattle and maybe we can sign him to an extension.

Hope that helps!

~Buff

JR loved Bonds back in 95,96,97 whenver the Sox signed Albert Belle. I remember him asking Frank who he should get, Bonds or Belle(even tho Bonds was nto a FA thatr year). Frank said Belle but JR clearly wanted Bonds. I don't know if that has much to do with the Bonds talk, but you never know.

Good lord...why on earth ANYONE here would be discussing Mr. Ego himself, Barry Bonds, is beyond me. Lets worry about settling the REAL needs right now...shakey leadoff hitter, CFer since it seems BA wore his welcome out somehow in 1 season, pitching that is consistent...

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
I understand Garcia's value wouldn't have given us much, but this is FAAARRR below what I'd expect. For all his velocity concerns, he's still durable; and you know his statistics will significantly improve upon arrival in the NL.

Here's my belief -- if this disgraceful package was truly the best available, why were we so willing to pull the trigger? Would Floyd and Gonzalez have not been available in January or February as well? Atleast then, perhaps his value would increase.

Not even Beck or Jphat can spin this trade. We're automatically losers. And I don't want to hear, "let's wait for another deal before commenting." No. I'm tired of these god damn trades where we're not supposed to look at it on its own, but in the context of something larger.

I HATE to admit this. I really, really HATE to admit this. But Tizzle was right. Kenny just botched a golden opportunity here.

[/quote} FLoyd can either be fixed by Cooper or not..Gio has recently played in the Afl league.. Pitching well enough to maybe have another look. Gio has a good strikeout to walk ratio.. One thing that stands out in his stats is he can really dominate left handed hitters.. So if he has a great spring training I can see Ozzie making him into another Cotts or Marte ruining him for anything better than pitching to a left handed batter and then get pulled. As far as Bonds goes I think with Dye and BA he won't have to do much in left and maybe 3.2 million attendance. The buisiness of selling standing room will be an everygame experience. No one will care what Barry did in the past as long as the ball leaves the park with great regularity..............