Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
There better be something else coming...It will be interesting to see how the press deals with this trade. Will they give Kenny a pass and trust him or will they say- Whats up with this?

I was thinking abou that. How does Williams explain this to the media?

I believe the problem here is Kenny treated this deal like one of his patented "under the radar," "low risk/high reward" moves he so often does. Problem is, in this instance he wasn't trading Joe Borchard or Aaron Miles.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GIO'S BACK!!!

I honestly like this trade and I know I'm a minority. Garcia will do better in the NL, but we're setting ourselves up for the future really well with this trade. Floyd I think can at least turn into a great reliever still and Gio just makes my mouth drool. Thank God we got him back.

Seriously guys, we weren't going to get much better than this.

PhilliesBuff ... Why did you people care if some minor league guy stayed or went? I could see if he was nestled in your rotation and failing miserably, but he wasn't there. He was just some prospect guy, everyone has them.

We probably should have gotten more for Freddy, but he has a lot of innings under his belt, is in the last year of his contract, and his days of having a 93 mph fastball are LONG GONE....he is taking an 87, 88 mph fastball to Philly, which in the NL may be Cy Young material.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Im telling you, Rocco Baldelli is coming. He has to be. He just has to be.

someones coming, they have to be....a LF, a CF, a SS....someone....you dont add a SP in Floyd to get back to 6 starters again without somehting else brewing

My thoughts:

- I'm rather shocked that the White Sox didn't get Aaron Rowand back in this deal, not because I necessarily wanted him back (I don't think it would hurt given our CF issues), but because he is expendable in Philly, and I believe due to make about $3 or $4 million next season...I'm guessing, that if his name did come up, the White Sox didn't want the $$$.

- We do save about $10 million in salaries for this upcoming season. Do we use it on a free agent (unlikely, i believe), or use it to lock up Dye/Buerhle long-term ?

- Gavin Floyd ? he got kicked around in 11 starts for the Phillies, and supposedly is wild. Couldn't Kenny have done better for Garcia ? Does he even make the roster or is going back to the minors ?

- I suppose with McCarthy now in the rotation, we will be fine in the rotation, and not any worse than last season, but I don't like trading away a proven veteran with playoff/late season experience like Garcia for prospects.

I guess in summary, I am surprised Kenny didn't get more out of this deal.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:20 AM)
I was thinking abou that. How does Williams explain this to the media?

I believe the problem here is Kenny treated this deal like one of his patented "under the radar," "low risk/high reward" moves he so often does. Problem is, in this instance he wasn't trading Joe Borchard or Aaron Miles.

My personal belief, and it was the same last year after the 2005 season, is that KW/Ozzie became arrogant and stubborn. They believe Cooper can fix everyone...and while he does good with some guys, other guys show big regressions.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Actually, that's based off of talking to someone who talks to minor league scouts every single day.

I guess KW and his staff found the worst deal they could and took it. Everyone here seems to know he had better offers out there.

I hear different things about Floyd from my friends. I guess we'll see which ones are right.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
PhilliesBuff ... Why did you people care if some minor league guy stayed or went? I could see if he was nestled in your rotation and failing miserably, but he wasn't there. He was just some prospect guy, everyone has them.

We probably should have gotten more for Freddy, but he has a lot of innings under his belt, is in the last year of his contract, and his days of having a 93 mph fastball are LONG GONE....he is taking an 87, 88 mph fastball to Philly, which in the NL may be Cy Young material.

Imagine if McCarthy came to the majors and laid a total egg, went to the minors and laid an egg again. Thats what Floyd felt like to us.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
My personal belief, and it was the same last year after the 2005 season, is that KW/Ozzie became arrogant and stubborn. They believe Cooper can fix everyone...and while he does good with some guys, other guys show big regressions.

And it's for that reason, and that reason alone, that I wish he wasn't our pitching coach. The dude isn't Jesus f***in' Christ. Man, I'm downin' a whole bottle of scotch tonight. I'm very f***in' pissed off right now.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
True, but as you said, young. Very young for his league.

Eh, call me crazy, I'm not as pissed. I thought anyone posting Pelfrey plus packages for Garcia was absolutely nuts. These are two pretty good arms. If even one ends up giving us a league average year or more as a starter, it'll be tough for this not to be a win for the Sox.

And who knows... we save $10 million here, and it's not like the Sox need to cut back budget. Something else could be in the works. Maybe the Sox like Zito and want to make a play for him?

Agreed. I've said a couple times that we would NOT get the return everyone thought for one of our starters. But I still have strong reservations on this. Gio's been impressive, but he's still a guy who's been dogged by injury concerns since being drafted.

But I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt on this one.

QUOTE(PhilliesBuff @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Imagine if McCarthy came to the majors and laid a total egg, went to the minors and laid an egg again. Thats what Floyd felt like to us.

LOL. Now we've got Philly fans pouring salt on the wound. I wish I could dispute what you're saying. Problem is you're right. Kenny got raped.

Someone explain how this makes any sense, because i'm not seeing it:

"Before the deal was finalized, Sox general manager Ken Williams intimated he might have to make a deal soon because of the rapidly changing free agent market that included the free agent signings of pitchers Jason Schmidt and Ted Lilly."

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Lingering injuries for a pitcher is completely different than the injuries Rocco had. Rocco is also a world-class athlete who will develop power as he gets older.

Won't hear me disagree.. was just saying though :P

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Someone explain how this makes any sense, because i'm not seeing it:

yeah, I didn't quite get that either, I just saw SPs getting snapped up for ridiculous prices (the Lily at 10 a year is insane, and Cubune and Levine can spin that all they want) I thought FG would be in more demand, but I guess the 1 year left killed his value a lot, he's a rent a player

This is one of the worst trades I have actually seen. We get two minor leaguers who won't make it big time for a 17-20 game winner. You can keep your GIO. I am sure he will have a spot in our pen because he is a lefthander, but will crap down his pant leg for the next two years, and floyd will never make it. Horrible trade, but for all you guys who are in love with prospects you should be rejoicing in the fleecing and embarrassment of the winter meetings. makes me want to cancel the season tickets. Oh by the way we still have all the same holes we had yesterday.Gavin Floyd, what a joke. Wait until next year when we back up the truck. Gavin Floyd equals Tim redding.