Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
If thats the case, than we deal Buehrle for Pelfrey and Heilman or Pelfrey & Milledge or swing him for Sanchez, Melky and someone else from the Yanks. Than you end up having Jose, Garland and Vaz in your rotation as the veteran 3 and than see what sticks with the other two knowing that Floyd, Bmac, Pelfrey are all potential top of the line rotation guys and behind that you'd have Gio/Broadway/Haeger (two of which are again at least middle of the rotation and in Gio's case potential #2).

As long as Kenny spends that extra 20 million saved on finding a way to fill a couple holes we still have offensively I'd live with it.

Your making the assupmtion that KW can get that for buerhle. he just might screw that up too.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:57 AM)
I might be the only one, but I dreaded games where Garcia was pitching. I never was confident we'd win with him on the mound, and I hated knowing how slow he'd work and how a walk turned into a double. I'm excited at the thought of watching McCarthy start next year.

No Fathom, I'm pretty sure that I was vocal in EVERY start he made...at least we get 5 innings of non-craptastic effort from Javy when HE pitches...I'm a huge Garcia opponent, so I don't mind us ridding ourselves of him

The White Sox crying about the cost of pitching is ironic. If Javier Vazquez goes 15-10 next season, he would be a career .500 pitcher, and in line to get $14million to $15 million in arbitration. That's as crazy as just about any contract handed out this offseason. Look at what he's done for the last 3 years and got paid $35 million or so.

Oh my god...I'm giddy...Bonds...YESSS, DO IT DO IT DO IT. Like I said, if we want to go with the theory of developing some young pitching, give ourselves a nasty offense and no better upgrade than adding Bonds to a potent lineup and at 10 mill for 1 year its a bargain, imo (even though some people would say this is negative PR wise in the case of Bonds I stick to the old adage of any type of PR is good PR).

Sure, we all thought we could get more for Freddy,

Yeah and that's why we're pissed, especially after reading KW's stance in the Trib.

The panties in a bunch is offensive crap. We have a right to be moderately concerned at

what has happened today.

We basically released Freddie cause we got 2 guys that we have no use for right now.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:59 AM)
No Fathom, I'm pretty sure that I was vocal in EVERY start he made...at least we get 5 innings of non-craptastic effort from Javy when HE pitches...I'm a huge Garcia opponent, so I don't mind us ridding ourselves of him

I thought you only hated Podsednik? :P

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
I'm with you and Rowand44 on this one. I'm going to wait for this to pan out and then react. Nothing to get you're panties in a bunch for now. Sure, we all thought we could get more for Freddy, but we don't know the type of deals that were on the table or the real value that Freddy had.

Relax, take a breath, and let's not throw away the next 3 seasons because we traded away 1 player.

Oh I overreacted but I had a whole two games of bowling to calm down. :lol: I'm not happy about the return at all, thing is Freddy IS the pitcher I wanted to get rid of so that is what is keeping me semi calm. Also, I do think there is a decent chance that there is a 2nd part of this deal that comes to fruition tomorrow.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
From what I read, he said they were open for business in regards to trading another starter.

I for one don't have a problem with the concept of trading another starter, and I've been saying that for weeks, given this market.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)

I don't mind the trade either. Its the apparent philosophy Rogers is reporting that is troubling me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
Oh my god...I'm giddy...Bonds...YESSS, DO IT DO IT DO IT. Like I said, if we want to go with the theory of developing some young pitching, give ourselves a nasty offense and no better upgrade than adding Bonds to a potent lineup and at 10 mill for 1 year its a bargain, imo (even though some people would say this is negative PR wise in the case of Bonds I stick to the old adage of any type of PR is good PR).

i hate bonds more than any other player in baseball...but i must admit....id be happy if we signed him too

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
I don't mind the trade either. Its the apparent philosophy Rogers is reporting that is troubling me.

There is nothing wrong with a philosophy of focusing on making our pitching staff younger. As long as we're getting something fair in return.

A lot of that depends on Floyd though here.

The other thing I'd like to point out is, 21 year old lefty prospects who strike out over a man per inning in AA don't grow on trees. Sure, he struggled a bit ERA wise, but those other numbers don't lie, and the fact he was rushed to AA didn't help. But then again, I'm biased since I nearly shat a brick in disbelief when we gave away Gio in the Thome trade.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 06:03 AM)
I'm not even going to comment on the whole Bonds thing unless it does happen. A lot is going through my mind with that.

I'd just like to say that if the Sox do sign him (probably a 1 pct chance of this), I'll glady buy someone's season tickets from them if they want to stop rooting for the White Sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
If we trade another starter, then who's our 5th starter?

One of the prospects we get back. I'd actually prefer to move Vazquez and than find a way to lock up Buehrle (because i think Vaz will be getting a ton of money when he goes to arb in a year and I'd prefer to just get Buehrle that money now if possible).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)

I could live with it. He'll put up a .500 OBP (yes, around that) and is a better defensive LF than Pods (I can't decide if I'm kidding or not).

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
I'd just like to say that if the Sox do sign him (probably a 1 pct chance of this), I'll glady buy someone's season tickets from them if they want to stop rooting for the White Sox.

No tix for you, but you can have the ashes left over from what was once my Sox jersey.