Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
GIO'S BACK!!!

I honestly like this trade and I know I'm a minority. Garcia will do better in the NL, but we're setting ourselves up for the future really well with this trade. Floyd I think can at least turn into a great reliever still and Gio just makes my mouth drool. Thank God we got him back.

Seriously guys, we weren't going to get much better than this.

According to radio here either KW or JB rejected a Owings, Callaspo and Hairston deal. I am glad though that deal didn't go down though.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
Or not.

Pitchers did the exact opposite. They pitched to him more in the second half -- 33 less walks in the second half -- and Barry made 'em pay, slugging right around .600 while keeping his OBP well above .400.

Touche, BUT don't let the facts get in the way of an angry fanbase sir. :P

I can't believe how much some of you are overreacting. I was kind of disapointed in the trade, Floyd doesn't do a whole lot for me, maybe he can be a pretty good middle reliever. I saw some of the market, I saw Soriano get traded for Ramirez. I thought we might make out like absolute robbers. But some people on this board thought we could get Pelfrey and heilman, hell some people thought we could get Hamels.

Where are all the people who always complain about our minor league pitching? Gio instantly becomes our best starter, and he should be ready by 2008. Granted I'm biased because he was my favorite minor leaguer (hey, I think I was the first to mention him in the rowand thread :D )

-And I really hope this puts an end to the Rowand talk

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 06:15 AM)
Yes, but the Cell is such a launching pad compared to San Fran. I try to watch as many Bonds at-bats as possible, and it's amazing the warning track power that he had last year. If he hits those same balls at the Cell, a good handful of them are in the seats.

Yup... isn't it like 430 out to right center in Pac Bell? I wonder how many warning track shots he's hit to that part of the park over the years...

i know a lot of people here dont like keith law...me being one of them....but he actually kinda said this trade was good for both sides...tho he really liked it for philly

The Phillies desperately needed a starter like Freddy Garcia, a durable league-average starter to head the rotation and take some of the pressure off Brett Myers and wunderkind Cole Hamels. Garcia has thrown at least 200 innings in six straight seasons, and just posted the best walk rate of his career. Acquiring him allows the Phillies to trade Jon Lieber, whom they've recently criticized publicly for his lack of conditioning (perhaps not the best marketing strategy) and whose inability to get left-handed hitters out makes him a major liability when the team you're chasing has Carlos Delgado, Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran all coming at you from the left side. Garcia's a free agent after 2007, assuming the Phils don't work out an extension with him, so this is a straight future-for-present deal for Philadelphia.

The White Sox added some younger pitching to their system, one a solid prospect, one a tarnished prospect who's a nice high-beta flyer. Gio Gonzalez -- technically the player to be named right now, although it will be announced officially after the Rule 5 Draft on Thursday morning -- is the solid prospect, and one with whom the White Sox are familiar, having drafted him in 2004 and traded him to the Phils last winter for Jim Thome. Gonzalez has an average fastball but two good offspeed pitches, a mid-70s curve with good two-plane break and a straight changeup on which he maintains his arm speed very well. Still just 21 years old, Gonzalez's primary negatives are his control, which was poor all year, and his poise, as he rattles easily when something goes wrong behind him, and is prone to losing the strike zone at inopportune moments. Given his age, throwing arm, and quality offspeed stuff, though, he's a very good prospect and a good return on Garcia.

Gavin Floyd is a good lottery ticket for the White Sox to play. The fourth pick in the vaunted 2001 draft, Floyd's career went off the rails when the Phils rushed him to the majors in 2004. Floyd's calling card is a near-12-to-6 curveball with a big late break, with a solid-average fastball and an average changeup. His command, never great, has evaporated each time he's come up to the big leagues, and this year his control took a hit as well. He turns 24 in January and has a good arm; that's the sort of second guy you always want to acquire in a trade, especially when a change of scenery appears to be part of the solution.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Yes, but the Cell is such a launching pad compared to San Fran. I try to watch as many Bonds at-bats as possible, and it's amazing the warning track power that he had last year. If he hits those same balls at the Cell, a good handful of them are in the seats.

Plus it looked as if he was just starting to get healthy last season. The only down side in having Bonds is that we also have Thome and with that Bonds would have to play in the field. I think if we could have had him DH for part of the time it would be an absolute no brainer because the DH spot would help him stay healthy and really allow him to produce.

Of course if he is healthy enough to play 135-140 games (some as a DH) having him, Thome, Konerko and Dye would be absolutely ridiculous and would completely allow the team at least time to allow the young pitchers Kenny acquires to develop into the back end of the rotation.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
Sheffield lands NY that sweetass package, and this is all we could muster?? I can't believe we just made Pat Gillick look smart.

Trade Konerko now and you will get the prospects you are looking for. We traded a pitcher who admittedly said that he doesnt like to geek up for lesser talent, who had problems hitting his normal velocity for most of the season and is in his walk year. But I forget the Pelfrey, Humber and money was coming our way for Garcia.

:bang

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
According to radio here either KW or JB rejected a Owings, Callaspo and Hairston deal. I am glad though that deal didn't go down though.

Personally I prefer the deal the Sox made because we got two arms with front of the rotation stuff.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 06:05 AM)
Funny, for the past 6 months all I've read on this board is that Freddie sux. So, why would it surprise you guys that we didn't get sh*t for him?

when ted f***ing lilly is getting 4 for 40

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Regardless of what you all think of the trade.....am I the only one that thinks Gio is going to be REALLY good?? Floyd is a risk, but I guess they think Coop can fix him.....but I'm ecstatic to have Gio back.

If either of these guys comes together and has a very good year, and McCarthy has a very good year...this will be a very fun thread to bump.

I just saw the trade on whitesox.com. I don't like the sounds of this one. Trading Freddy for a guy with a 7.29 ERA is crazy to me. It gets a spot for Bmac in the starting rotation. I would have gotten rid of Vazquez myself.

On paper is looks like the dumbest trade I have ever seen. :huh

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
when ted f***ing lilly is getting 4 for 40

When exactly is Freddys contract up again. And how much will Philly have to fork out to sign him. Its not like The Phillies got a major steal and freddy is under their control forever. They will pay and pay dearly for the pleasure of having Freddy take the mound. Freddy was calling his agent all the time asking about rumors. I bet his agent was calling him and saying did you see what Lilly just got, CHA CHING!!!!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
If either of these guys comes together and has a very good year, and McCarthy has a very good year...this will be a very fun thread to bump.

I'm actually pretty proud of myself that I've avoided saying anything reactionary or stupid in this thread seeing as how I was one of the first to post. That Thome trade thread wasn't exactly my best moment.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 06:24 AM)

Nothing tops the Durham for Jon Adkins trade.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 06:25 AM)
I'm actually pretty proud of myself that I've avoided saying anything reactionary or stupid in this thread seeing as how I was one of the first to post. That Thome trade thread wasn't exactly my best moment.

You should put in your sig that the Sox will never go after Tejada...it's going to become tejadatalk.com around here.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)

The dumbest trade I've ever seen on paper by the White Sox was Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino, and it's not even close. I only go back to the early 90's though (which is a different era than after the early 90's........a completely different era).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)

I think that it makes more sense to be reactionary in this thread than in that one, but even still, it's really, really hard to predict the future when you're grabbing 23 year old pitchers.

I just hope to Zoroaster that Floyd makes this trade worth while.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
Nothing tops the Durham for Jon Adkins trade.

You should put in your sig that the Sox will never go after Tejada...it's going to become tejadatalk.com around here.

Yeah, I expect as much. Atleast I know not to take any of the Tejada rumors seriously so I can just shy away from that whole mess.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
Regardless of what you all think of the trade.....am I the only one that thinks Gio is going to be REALLY good?? Floyd is a risk, but I guess they think Coop can fix him.....but I'm ecstatic to have Gio back.

He certainly has a chance. He's not in the same class as the Adam Millers, Mike Pelfreys, and Homer Baileys of the world but he's in the next group. Here are his stats from this year.

Reading 7-12 4.66 154.2 IP 166 SO 24 HR 81 BB .239 avg

Peoria (AFL) 0-0 2.81 16 IP 20 SO 10 BB 1 HR .224 avg

Not bad numbers, especially considering he was 20 playing in double-A. The walks and the home runs do worry me, but he has upside.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
I think that it makes more sense to be reactionary in this thread than in that one, but even still, it's really, really hard to predict the future when you're grabbing 23 year old pitchers.

I just hope to Zoroaster that Floyd makes this trade worth while.

You have to remember, I was one of the biggest Rowand apologists around no matter how bad of an offensive player he was.