Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 06:44 AM)
Does Gonzalez need to be added to the 40 man for Rule V? If so, who gets dropped?

RotoWorld:

Gio Gonzalez isn't on the 40-man roster, so he can't be traded until Thursday's Rule 5 draft is complete.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be posted in here at this point, but this is from CBS and I think it provides some insight on what happened.

"You get here and everybody gets serious," Williams said. "Then, when each contract gets put on the board, it becomes a little more serious."

Williams thinks the skyrocketing contracts are contributing to the sudden inability of so many clubs to pull the trigger on things. But by shipping Garcia, he saves the White Sox roughly $10 million, which they may put back into pitching.

"A lot of free agents are still on the board, and there's a lot of shellshock," Williams said. "GMs went into the offseason with a certain amount of money budgeted, and because that amount has been inflated, it's not realistic to even start talking with these guys.

"And you're left scrambling. A lot of people are scrambling."

Not that this is any real news to anyone, but KW must have felt that if he didn't pull the trigger he wouldn't get any young pitchers.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
KW better be ready again this year for the wrath at SoxFest Town Hall Meeting.

Why?

Are there foolish people that believed we should of broke the bank to pick up Freddy.

Or are there people who believe every single rumor and think that KW turned down super oober prospects and tried to get Gavin because KW is just a blind moron who doesnt know what he is doing.

Or are there people who read Kotex boy and think that we are really going cheap. That the 100 million dollar payroll is just a mirage and really we are the Marlins.

These people need to chill the f*** out.

So, we lost:

The replaceable Freddy Garcia of the 86 MPH fastball and the seemingly unhappy with the team attitude...

And we gained:

Two young, talented pitchers (at least one of whom will probably become a major league caliber starter), AND 10 MILLION TO PLAY WITH.

Seems pretty good to me. Like the deals made pre-2005, I am sure KW has plans for the cash.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
According to Mike North this morning, the Jays offered Wells straight up for Garcia but KW wanted Wells to sign a 4 yr extension and Wells refused....TIFWIW being that it is Mike North...

Mike North is a moron. All I know is that this trade sucks.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
According to Mike North this morning, the Jays offered Wells straight up for Garcia but KW wanted Wells to sign a 4 yr extension and Wells refused....TIFWIW being that it is Mike North...

lets say thats true, we are a far cry from vernon wells. We received nothing. Demoralizing, for a sox fan. What happened to win now? KW for the last three years said he wanted to win now. Appears thats gone.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
So, we lost:

The replaceable Freddy Garcia of the 86 MPH fastball and the seemingly unhappy with the team attitude...

And we gained:

Two young, talented pitchers (at least one of whom will probably become a major league caliber starter), AND 10 MILLION TO PLAY WITH.

Seems pretty good to me. Like the deals made pre-2005, I am sure KW has plans for the cash.

What can we get for 10 million? not much. In addition, I will assume they will use that money to pay crede and buerhle's raises. You will be dissapointed.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)

The Jays wanted a replacement outfielder so someone else would have been almost definitely involved as well. If Wells wouldn't sign an extension, then I wouldn't make that move either.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
What can we get for 10 million? not much. In addition, I will assume they will use that money to pay crede and buerhle's raises. You will be dissapointed.

Tell you what. If that 10M/year savings was used towards signing Crede and Buerhle long term, and we then had Fields and a young pitcher to deal for an outfielder... then I wouldn't be disappointed at all.

Everyone is quoting rumors "Garcia for Wells" "Garcia/Crede and Santana/Figgins" "Garcia for whoever." These are all rumors, someone might have heard something walking around and had to report something... thats it rumors. The fact of the matter is, what kind of value is there for a 1 year rental player that can not hold runners on first????

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Everyone is quoting rumors "Garcia for Wells" "Garcia/Crede and Santana/Figgins" "Garcia for whoever." These are all rumors, someone might have heard something walking around and had to report something... thats it rumors. The fact of the matter is, what kind of value is there for a 1 year rental player that can not hold runners on first????

Get out of here with your logic. We're too busy panicking.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:23 AM)
Tell you what. If that 10M/year savings was used towards signing Crede and Buerhle long term, and we then had Fields and a young pitcher to deal for an outfielder... then I wouldn't be disappointed at all.

they wont sign either.We will never sign a boras client, and Buerhle is as good as gone. So if they don't sign them, what do you do with the cash?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
Why?

Are there foolish people that believed we should of broke the bank to pick up Freddy.

Or are there people who believe every single rumor and think that KW turned down super oober prospects and tried to get Gavin because KW is just a blind moron who doesnt know what he is doing.

Or are there people who read Kotex boy and think that we are really going cheap. That the 100 million dollar payroll is just a mirage and really we are the Marlins.

KW himself said the only championship you can win is this year's. How are these two clowns going to help us win THIS YEAR'S World Series?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
Why?

A mixture of both. The Score will be going nuts today, for example. Kenny doesn't deserve crap for this, but he will get A TON of it simply because fans who aren't crazy enough to do things like post here (which is 90 percent of them) really don't have a clue what they are talking about, and think this trade is a failure since we didn't get 10 time all star Aaron Rowand back.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
KW himself said the only championship you can win is this year's. How are these two clowns going to help us win THIS YEAR'S World Series?

They won't, they help in the future. For now, Brandon McCarthy helps because he takes Garcia's slot and will have better than a 4.60 ERA. Kenny always talks about thinking about now and the future, and he did both in this trade.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
actually its the whole thinking process that is changing. We are acting like we don't have money again. I think that will backfire with fans.

The whole process of thinking is not changing, but your right it could backfire with the fans. But that is because fans, for the most part, are stupid. There are only the select few who actually have a clue what is going on, and most of them post here. I still, by itself, like the trade of McCarthy for Garcia in our rotation, add in 2 good prospects and I'm happier.