Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
Even if KW is bluffing, this is terrible press. Especially considering the Cubs are spending so much money, this really looks bad for the Sox (to the non-smart fan who just bases their opinion on what they read in the papers).

I don't give a flying f*** about the non smart fan, I want to win. I hate when people worry about terrible press, it's about wins, not press. And we'll never see crowds like 2006 saw again unless we win the World Series and the bandwagoners return, it's just life.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugly.

Absolutely ugly.

Maybe it was Kenny's intention to deflate the market for good starting pitching.

This is pretty depressing in that it doesn't help out our biggest problems:

-No help in left or center field

-No help in the leadoff spot

-No help for the bullpen

-No rotation insurance

And if this is all we get from Garcia then how can we expect to get anything more for Buehrle, Vazquez, or Garland? Yuck.

We can't keep trading for these failed first rounders and just hope that Cooper can "fix" them.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:48 AM)
If thats the case, than we deal Buehrle for Pelfrey and Heilman or Pelfrey & Milledge or swing him for Sanchez, Melky and someone else from the Yanks. Than you end up having Jose, Garland and Vaz in your rotation as the veteran 3 and than see what sticks with the other two knowing that Floyd, Bmac, Pelfrey are all potential top of the line rotation guys and behind that you'd have Gio/Broadway/Haeger (two of which are again at least middle of the rotation and in Gio's case potential #2).

After the Garcia trade, my opinion is that the you're going to have to lower your desired package by a lot.

I agree this is terrible press.

It makes no sense. We had the city like you said and now we're going to get rid of all

our starters in the next couple seasons?

Sounds like Reinsdorf has turned into cheapo Reinsdork again.

One title must be enough for him.

How else can this be explained?

We aint going to win World Series with the philosophy the Trib suggested.

Hopefully the writer somehow messed up. He did probably have to write it quickly after the

deal was announced.

We just saved a lot of money on the Freddie deal so maybe before hte meetings end

we'll have acquired some real players.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:49 AM)
I don't give a flying f*** about the non smart fan, I want to win. I hate when people worry about terrible press, it's about wins, not press. And we'll never see crowds like 2006 saw again unless we win the World Series and the bandwagoners return, it's just life.

Yes, but the non-smart fans are the ones who are going to the games, and that equates to higher attendance = higher payroll (or that's how it should be). Bandwagon fans are only good for baseball for that reason.

Williams believes Floyd's hard sinker will be effective at U.S. Cellular Field. Phillies assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle said he wouldn't be surprised.

"I think Gavin's going to be a little bit of a late bloomer," Arbuckle said. "I've compared him to Chris Carpenter. I compare him to the [Jon] Garland kid. He was a little slow to come around. When he did, he was a very good major-league pitcher. Gavin certainly has quality pitches, stuff, athleticism to be very good."

I have said as long as I have been on this site, there are 2 types of pitchers that the sox should draft unless they want to rebuild the cell. Sinkerballers or guys who can K people.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
After the Garcia trade, my opinion is that the you're going to have to lower your desired package by a lot.

That could be true but I still think Buehrle has more value than Garcia. And let me say the only way I'm a proponent of dealing Mark is if he was honest and said he wants to break the bank this contract since it will be his last one (which I'd respect).

Phil Rogers is the Sam Smith of baseball. I'm stunned he didn't have a full list of proposed trades for the Sox now. Also, as the article shows, the "open for business" comment was in regards to making more trades to add to the team, but rather it's in regards to trading more starting pitchers.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
I have said as long as I have been on this site, there are 2 types of pitchers that the sox should draft unless they want to rebuild the cell. Sinkerballers or guys who can K people.

Well you got one of each in this trade, for a 30 year old with a worn out arm, 10 million dollars salary next year, and going to be a FA. And short term, we replace him with McCarthy, and probably are going to trade for a starting OF. Those all are clear signs we need to panic because we are turning into the Oakland A's and will have a 10 dollar payroll in 2008.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Phil Rogers is the Sam Smith of baseball. I'm stunned he didn't have a full list of proposed trades for the Sox now. Also, as the article shows, the "open for business" comment was in regards to making more trades to add to the team, but rather it's in regards to trading more starting pitchers.

rogers classified this as his "worst rumor".......not sure in waht capacity he means worst.....

The White Sox are the "mystery team" in the Barry Bonds sweepstakes. Some reporters spent part of Wednesday working to identify the Sox as the team that seemingly spent the day meeting with Bonds and his agent, Jeff Borris.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:51 AM)
That could be true but I still think Buehrle has more value than Garcia. And let me say the only way I'm a proponent of dealing Mark is if he was honest and said he wants to break the bank this contract since it will be his last one (which I'd respect).

I think the Cardinals, by missing out on Schmidt, will now have the big dough to spend on Buehrle next offseason.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Why is the Trib propaganda?

That writer is very fair, he's nothing like Moronotti.

He said he asked KW flat out if all those starters would be out and he said yes.

I wouldn't shoot the trib messenger.

on top of that the writer is a sox fan and also covers the sox for baseball america and ESPN. He is not speculating he is telling us what KW is telling him. THis by the way flies in the face of what I heard on the radio today by Joe cowley who said JR gave KW an open checkbook. Cowley though kisses the sox ass.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
The fact that I'm the calm one really makes me nervous about our fanbase as a whole and how much it's overreacting.

I'm with you and Rowand44 on this one. I'm going to wait for this to pan out and then react. Nothing to get you're panties in a bunch for now. Sure, we all thought we could get more for Freddy, but we don't know the type of deals that were on the table or the real value that Freddy had.

Relax, take a breath, and let's not throw away the next 3 seasons because we traded away 1 player.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
I think the Cardinals, by missing out on Schmidt, will now have the big dough to spend on Buehrle next offseason.

Let me assure you if the Cardinals sign Buerhle, all the love that Buerhle has shown the Cardinals while playing for the White Sox that not a lot of people seem to care about, the White Sox will care about, and they will file a tampering charge.

Well, It's not the best deal I could have hoped for, but it's at least not the worst either.

So where exactly did that Phil Rogers article get the quote from KW that says he's not going to resign anyone? Or is that just something Rogers is inferring (which, as far as I can tell, is the truth).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
The fact that I'm the calm one really makes me nervous about our fanbase as a whole and how much it's overreacting.

I consider myself a calm fan. I trust KW and hate to think negative about the team. I was shocked about the trade, but never to the point of flat out hostility.

BUT

This article reminds me of the JR duting the white flag trade. I do not like where we are sitting or I don't likethe current market so lets start over again. The article could be smoke or a ploy and I will not believe it until I see it. It still would not surprise me if this all comes true and I will be angry, upset, and dissapointed if this is the case.

The White Sox have never been more popular and the last thing I want is "The kids can play".

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
Well, It's not the best deal I could have hoped for, but it's at least not the worst either.

So where exactly did that Phil Rogers article get the quote from KW that says he's not going to resign anyone? Or is that just something Rogers is inferring (which, as far as I can tell, is the truth).

He asked Williams point blank.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:55 AM)
I'm with you and Rowand44 on this one. I'm going to wait for this to pan out and then react. Nothing to get you're panties in a bunch for now. Sure, we all thought we could get more for Freddy, but we don't know the type of deals that were on the table or the real value that Freddy had.

Relax, take a breath, and let's not throw away the next 3 seasons because we traded away 1 player.

I might be the only one, but I dreaded games where Garcia was pitching. I never was confident we'd win with him on the mound, and I hated knowing how slow he'd work and how a walk turned into a double. I'm excited at the thought of watching McCarthy start next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:57 AM)

Considering Rogers asked other executives for their opinion on it, I think it's 100 pct legit.