Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

I like the trade. If Ted Lilly is gonna get $10 million on the open market, what would Freddy have netted? Would've been nice to get another pick, but if Floyd's problem was control, we have seen what Coop did with Contreras & Thornton. Not saying he'll be able to do it with Floyd, but if he can, this could be a steal.

It could be like the Ritchie trade from 2001, except this time the Sox benefit from the 2 young arms.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Southsideirish71, do you think Kenny should get more than Floyd and Gonzalez for Garcia? I am not knocking the trade of Garcia. I am terribly disappointed of the unfair-valued return. When everyone knows that the White Sox are sitting pretty with six starting pitchers, all we need to do is wait for few more weeks for Zito to be gone to some team. After Zito is gone, we will have a much better leverage to trade Garcia than it is now. Personally, I feel Kenny is jumping the gun here!!!

You realize that Zito is a Boras client, and that means that boras shops his players and parades them one at a time to get the max exposure on him. Zito is going to wait a bit to get the max dollar he can get. Meanwhile teams will make trades and pick up players so they can cover their asses. Not many teams are just going all in on Zito and will leave a huge hole in their rotation. And teams that would are named the Yankees. Do you really want a Yankee prospect not named Hughes.

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)

That sausage biscuit I ate this morning just ended up on my keyboard. What the hell is Kenny doiing? I don't mind trading an aging guy with worn tread on his tires, but Garland too?

No way I do this unless Hirsch was included in some way....

This trade is WORSE than the garcia deal unless Hirsch is also included. If we get Hirsch, Bucholz and Taveres for Garland + prospect then I'd jump it like Ashley Judd saying come hither to me, but for just the two...its a rapage...Garcia and Garland pitched us to WORLD TITLE in 2005...pitchers with that type of mettle don't grow on frigging trees...To quote Vince Lombardi (screw the Packers by the way), "What the hell is going on out here?"

Of course this trade stinks to high heaven. It was quite clearly a salary dump. When you trade a valuable starting pitcher in THIS market who is making about 10M for two prospects who will get league minimum, it is all about dumping salary.

People are hoping that Kenny will spin these prospects into some better deal. But the problem is that Floyd and Gio aren't worth as much in any trade as Garcia is. KW took his best trading chip and turned it into something worth much less.

If the Sox spend this savings on something worth more than Garcia, then I'll be happy. I don't think that will happen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
The years of no 5th starter are about to return!

Except we have 5 good starters.

Im actually beginning to like this deal. We got a top young arm, who had some issues under a TERRIBLE coaching staff, and a top young pitching prospect, for no-fastball freddy who is basically a one year rental player for them.

The last time the market went this way for arms, the smart thing to do was stock up young cheap pitching from within your system, which we now have done. Haeger, Broadway, MC, BMAC, Floyd and Gio is a nice young stable to have.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)

Im actually beginning to like this deal. We got a top young arm, who had some issues under a TERRIBLE coaching staff, and a top young pitching prospect, for no-fastball freddy who is basically a one year rental player for them.

The last time the market went this way for arms, the smart thing to do was stock up young cheap pitching from within your system, which we now have done. Haeger, Broadway, MC, BMAC, Floyd and Gio is a nice young stable to have.

Who's this imaginary 5th starter people keep saying we have? If we traded Garland, I only count 4 guys we can legitimately say should be starting.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)

Hell, just think about what our rotation at Charlotte will look like next year. Broadway, Floyd, Gio, Phillipps, and player x (maybe Tracey or Haeger depending on that 11th bullpen spot).

That's a pretty sound place to build from.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
Who's this imaginary 5th starter people keep saying we have? If we traded Garland, I only count 4 guys we can legitimately say should be starting.

The other thread is strongly suggesting that any concept of a Garland deal has already fallen through, and that the 2 sides weren't close.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
The other thread is strongly suggesting that any concept of a Garland deal has already fallen through, and that the 2 sides weren't close.

Yeah, I heard that good news. I asked about the 5th starter when it was assumed Garland would be traded.