James Kim 1971-2006

sox4lifeinPA

This is a tragedy, but an avoidable one. When travelling through wilderness areas, whether by foot or by vehicle, giving someone your travel plans including when you expect to return, is rule one. It is almost always better to stay with your shelter.

I was reading that James Kim died of exposure and hypothermia, but I also read that they found him at the base of a cliff. Was he going loopy and he fell off the edge? Or did his body just shut down in the weather? I wonder if we will ever know.

I wonder how many people carry a basic survival kit in their cars? I don't mean one of those survival in a can kits you see in outdoor stores. He could have survived nicely with just a few things, and they could have fit in a coffee can.

First off, rule of 3. You can survive

3 minutes without oxygen

3 hours exposed to freezing temps

3 days without water

3 weeks without food

Based on this anyone that keeps some extra food in their car and no water is missing the point.

Exposure:

Keep you fuel tank near full. Running you car's heater is a great way to stay warm. Just remember to keep the exhaust clear.

Add a space blanket for everyone who may be in your vehicle.

Even when going from heated garage to heated work, have clothes available for the outdoor temp.

Keep a beanie, heavy socks, and mittens available. This will reduce your chances of frostbite.

Water:

It will probably freeze but have some available in your car and some means to warm it up. Sometimes a candle will work. A small backpacking stove works even better. A metal coffee can and esbitt tablets will melt enough snow to keep you hydrated for a very long time and costs next to nothing.

Visibility:

Make yourself big. Have some means of signaling. Perhaps an old cd which you can site through the hole and it will reflect light a long ways.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
All real good tips, but I am wondering how many of us actually have a chance to get stuck in the wilderness anymore?

It isn't just wilderness. If your daily commute or trip places you on a couple mile stretch of farm roads, that's where the drifting can happen. It may not be about survival, but comfort while you wait for help. For almost zero cost, and a few minutes time, you could have the peace of mind knowing you are prepared.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
It isn't just wilderness. If your daily commute or trip places you on a couple mile stretch of farm roads, that's where the drifting can happen. It may not be about survival, but comfort while you wait for help. For almost zero cost, and a few minutes time, you could have the peace of mind knowing you are prepared.

Exactly. Wasn't there a story a year or so ago where an old man went off a busy interstate into an uncut cornfield and wasn't found for weeks?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
yes, there are some, but they usually quit at First Class

HAHAHAHA.... well put. well put.

one my fellow scouters killed his parents with a .22

he was a douche bag.

I like my parents.

case closed.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 06:23 PM)
Wow, that is very interesting.

apparently the lodge that was near their car was closed for the winter, so that wouldn't have been an option.

his disrobing has he went along is the subject of a fair amount of speculation. he could either have been trying to leave some kind of trail, or he was losing it at that point.

either way it is sad. but as you've pointed out, entirely avoidable.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
apparently the lodge that was near their car was closed for the winter, so that wouldn't have been an option.

his disrobing has he went along is the subject of a fair amount of speculation. he could either have been trying to leave some kind of trail, or he was losing it at that point.

I'd say he lost it when he left the road...

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)

In the final stages of hypothermia, bodily changes makes the person feel hot and they will shed clothes. Nasty little practical joke our designer built into our systems.

on-line mapping may have contributed to tragedy

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/faul...5081119464.html

Linked above. I live in an area where the on-line mapping software always shows a much longer and slower route, so I know there are inaccuracies and always double check a couple sources.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
I just had two experiences with losing my way because of google maps blowing goats. They definitely give you roundabout directions.

new christmas gift on my wish list.... GPS.

Same potential problem with GPS, unless the road information is being updated for repairs, and potential weather conditions, they are less than perfect.