Mark Mulder

NCsoxfan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Hes a Chicago native, good friends with Konerko, a favorite of KW...

Why not sign Mulder, and trade Garland and someone else for an impact player...

Maybe because Mulder was beyond dreadful last season, is comming off major surgery, will not be throwing a baseball until March 1st, will be available to pitch in June at the earliest and is only expected to make around 20 starts next season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Maybe because Mulder was beyond dreadful last season, is comming off major surgery, will not be throwing a baseball until March 1st, will be available to pitch in June at the earliest and is only expected to make around 20 starts next season.

I agree. If he didn't get hurt I would have been all for it.

QUOTE(PK14 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
I agree. If he didn't get hurt I would have been all for it.

I'm totally with you on that as well. By the way, welcome aboard :cheers

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
I'm not going to say anything personally, but what happened to all the trash talking about Javier around here? Perhaps it's not an option, but on paper, I'd much rather have Mulder than Vasquez in our rotation.

The problem is, as Kalapse pointed out, that Mulder will not even be ready to pitch until June (at the earliest). A healthy Mulder is better than almost anyone in our rotation (and most any rotation in baseball) but he hasn't been healthy in a couple years.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
I'm not going to say anything personally, but what happened to all the trash talking about Javier around here? Perhaps it's not an option, but on paper, I'd much rather have Mulder than Vasquez in our rotation.

Are you serious? You'd rather have a pitcher who has deteorated as quickly as Mulder has over Vazquez? One who's coming off a surgery as severe as Mulder has over the durability of Vazquez? One who won't pitch till midseason over one who will pitch all season? One with worse stuff before his injury the one with some of the best stuff in the game?

wow. nothing more can be said.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you serious? You'd rather have a pitcher who has deteorated as quickly as Mulder has over Vazquez? One who's coming off a surgery as severe as Mulder has over the durability of Vazquez? One who won't pitch till midseason over one who will pitch all season? One with worse stuff before his injury the one with some of the best stuff in the game?

wow. nothing more can be said.

Sorry, man. I'm just going off what I know. I admit I'm a Cards fan and I'm a bit partial. But I'm mainly just making a general point. I'm not proposing we get rid of Javy and Get Mulder right now, I'm just saying that if he was healthy and efficient, there's no comparison; I'd take Mulder over Javy any day.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Sorry, man. I'm just going off what I know. I admit I'm a Cards fan and I'm a bit partial. But I'm mainly just making a general point. I'm not proposing we get rid of Javy and Get Mulder right now, I'm just saying that if he was healthy and efficient, there's no comparison; I'd take Mulder over Javy any day.

As would most anyone who's ever seen the 2 guys pitch, the problem is that scenerio is no where near reality.

Mark Mulder reminds me of a scene on one of the worst movies ever, Major League 3: Back to the Minors, and pitcher Doc Wingate. Wingate throws a pitch in the bullpen during Spring Training, and the radar gun doesn't register. The manager goes "what the hell?" and the catcher explains to him that they got the gun used from the state, and it doesn't register anything under 55.

What does this have to do with anything? Not a lot, but it's 3 AM and I have finals next week, so I put it anyways.

Honestly I think it's worth giving him a Jose Guillen type of contract.

Give him about 2-3M for 2007, incentives that would bring that to 4-5M, and then have say 2 team options for 9M and 10M for the next 2 seasons.

If he was signed, and came back and pitched well in say June, it would give the Sox the flexibility to trade a SP at the trade deadline, and a team could really overpay then.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
Honestly I think it's worth giving him a Jose Guillen type of contract.

Give him about 2-3M for 2007, incentives that would bring that to 4-5M, and then have say 2 team options for 9M and 10M for the next 2 seasons.

If he was signed, and came back and pitched well in say June, it would give the Sox the flexibility to trade a SP at the trade deadline, and a team could really overpay then.

I'd say he's more likely to take the Randy Wolf route - take a 1 year, $6 mill deal with incentives to boost it to $10, with him then bolting to free agency.

(and yes, I realize Wolf is making $8 mill...he should also be ready by opening day as I recall)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:14 AM)
I'd say he's more likely to take the Randy Wolf route - take a 1 year, $6 mill deal with incentives to boost it to $10, with him then bolting to free agency.

(and yes, I realize Wolf is making $8 mill...he should also be ready by opening day as I recall)

Wolf will be ready, and good. I'm very sad to see him go.

As for Mulder, the 1 year deal would be the only way I would want him signed. Without looking at his stats, he's not nearly the same as he was 3-4 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to revisit this thought on Mark Mulder.

What would be wrong with giving Mulder a 2 year incentive rich contract? If he is not ready until mid-year they could start one of the young guys and then have the luxury of Mulder in mid-season.

How about signing Mulder for 2 years $12m??

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
I am going to revisit this thought on Mark Mulder.

What would be wrong with giving Mulder a 2 year incentive rich contract? If he is not ready until mid-year they could start one of the young guys and then have the luxury of Mulder in mid-season.

How about signing Mulder for 2 years $12m??

If Mulder has a year anything like last year, you just pissed away $12 million and delayed the development of one of our potential 5th starters at the MLB level.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
If Mulder has a year anything like last year, you just pissed away $12 million and delayed the development of one of our potential 5th starters at the MLB level.

Actually, I wouldn't say it would delay the development of anyone. Mulder would actually have to be able to pitch to do that.