Disturbing article about the Sox's plans

fathom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
I don't have much of a problem with it, I guess. I would hope he wouldn't let ALL of them go. Maybe keep Buehrle and Garland around or something. We'll see, thats a long ways away.

It's not a "long ways away" a decision on Buehrle's future would have to be made this offseason and Garland, next offseason.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
It's not a "long ways away" a decision on Buehrle's future would have to be made this offseason and Garland, next offseason.

also from rogers.....

this was classified under his "worst rumor"

The White Sox are the "mystery team" in the Barry Bonds sweepstakes. Some reporters spent part of Wednesday working to identify the Sox as the team that seemingly spent the day meeting with Bonds and his agent, Jeff Borris.

Edited by daa84

Holy crap...hold me I'm scared, you prospect people may win out and the Sox may very well suffer.

All I can say is this, if the Sox are going to go with that approach we should deal Buehrle this off-season and ensure we get ourselves one of the best pitching prospects in all of baseball for him (and I'm sure the Mets would give up Pelfrey to get him...maybe not much else, but we'd at least be able to get Pelfrey).

Maybe even Pelfrey and Burgos (or however you spell it) who they just acquired from the Royals, two guys that are young and would fit in nicely.

I know one thing...Kenny seems to be taking a Billy Beane stance and if we bank on this we need to ensure we get as many talented arms as possible and make sure this offense is equipped to hammer if it doesn't work out.

Technically speaking it may not be the worse idea in the world...but there are others I'd prefer.

Still right now I think this team is still fully capable of winning it all and even with a trade of Buehrle (yes things would get tougher) but it would be able to as long as it was able to find a way to fill a couple holes in the lineup.

But man I'm scared cause I hate to see the Sox do anything that would cause a public relations nightmare that would bury this team in the city spotlight.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
I hate the deal, but where does Phil get that there is no chance of bringing back the other starters?

Apparently Kenny said something. But maybe it's just Kenny posturing, who knows.

I've near read an article from Rogers with such intensity.

If Williams is intent on fielding another World Series ballclub, he may have to offer more money/years to starting pitchers than Reinsdorf is comfortable with. It's foolish not to believe otherwise.

And if he's truly serious about not offering contract extensions to ANY of the remaining veterans when the appropriate time arrives, trade for more than Floyd and Gonzalez for Christ sakes. Don't even bother seeking an additional bat -- we need blue chip prospects for an additional starter if this philosophy is to be upheld.

A future rotation of Gonzalez/Floyd/McCarthy/McCulloch/Broadway -- if it were to ever materialize -- is enough to warrant a pink slip.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

So in a round about way...is this saying we can kiss the idea of any free agent dealings (of any real worth) in the future away? I honestly think KW has a man crush on Beane or something...or just a jealous envy.

Memo to Jerry: Hey Jerry...how goddamn long did it take the bulls franchise to pull their jocks back up and be respectable?!? I really don't like where this is going.

"What we'd be talking about honestly are numbers and years I'm not comfortable with," Williams said about contract extensions before agreeing to the Garcia trade.

How much are you willing to pay Freddy. How about a nice 5 year 75 million dollar deal. Do you think that Wiliams balked at a 3 year 30 million dollar deal? They had a talk with Garcia and he said JACKPOT, and we ditched him. But I agree with you, the draft pick would of been a better long term option.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
"What we'd be talking about honestly are numbers and years I'm not comfortable with," Williams said about contract extensions before agreeing to the Garcia trade.

How much are you willing to pay Freddy. How about a nice 5 year 75 million dollar deal. Do you think that Wiliams balked at a 3 year 30 million dollar deal? They had a talk with Garcia and he said JACKPOT, and we ditched him. But I agree with you, the draft pick would of been a better long term option.

On the draft pick thing I don't think we would have gotten two arms as talented as Gonzo and Floyd in the draft (considering the Phils pick would probably be in the 20's and than the sandwich pick is a late 1st). I think the guys we have now are both top 15 talent as is (in terms of draft position and obviously Floyd was the 4th overall pick). Gonzo would have been top 15-20 had it not been for his mom/brother.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
All I can say is this, if the Sox are going to go with that approach we should deal Buehrle this off-season and ensure we get ourselves one of the best pitching prospects in all of baseball for him (and I'm sure the Mets would give up Pelfrey to get him...maybe not much else, but we'd at least be able to get Pelfrey).

Maybe even Pelfrey and Burgos (or however you spell it) who they just acquired from the Royals, two guys that are young and would fit in nicely.

Garcia in his walk year equalled Floyd and Gonzalez, yet Buehrle in his will equal one of the best pitching prospects in baseball?

I forsee an additional problem with this philosophy which could further fuel those who share Rogers' sentiments. Unless Williams trades starters with additional years left on their contracts (Vazquez/Garland/Contreras) we're not going to receive anything of value in return. Remember, they're not going to eat a starters salary for the best available package, so our only hope if selling off a pitcher with multiple years remaning.

I didn't hear Williams quote concerning a lack of desire to sign the other starters, but it's borderline retarded to basically sign off on the pitchers within your rotation beyond their contract. It's completely disrespectful.

Sure, I'll be willing to let the prospects fight it out -- just as long as the prospects are legitimate prospects. Trade for Hurley/Danks or Pelfrey and I'll listen to him.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
With St. Louis missing out on Schmidt, I would think Buehrle really is out the door before the season starts. And say hello to McCarhty and Floyd/Haegar in rotation. Really, I was hoping never to see the Sox have a 5th starter with an ERA of 7.00 again, but some things clearly are not to be...

Which is better...having 4 guys at 4 and 1 at 7, or 4 guys at 5 and 1 at 4?

Is it just me or does this seem like a bad thing from a business stand point? I mean to us, if we were to pull a Marlins restocking method then we need to do it soon.

But you also have to remember the casual baseball fans and the people who have been selling out the cell the past few seasons. How are they going to view this after winning a WS now go to rebuilding?