Cooper to be on the Score

CWSGuy406

Coop had a strong relationship with Garcia, plans to call him today. He found out about the trade while he was out somewhere in NY. Doesn't sound like he had much input on the trade.

Gio should compete in the pen.

Waiting to see more video on Floyd.

Coop likes the "newness" of the deal. Saw Floyd on TV and thought he would be a great guy to have, but he was pitching "robotic." Needed rhythm.

On the Garland front, Coop doesn't know KW's intentions but he trusts the moves he makes. Feels more like a fan right now.

He's waiting for KW to fill him in on Floyd on Gio.

Coop is excited to plot the course for the new guys.

Points out that this might be a precursor to more, but doesn't know what KW is up to.

Floyd: for him not to have success so far means that something has to be wrong. Not throwing consistent strikes, and might not be mature enough to throw 2 pitches consistently for strikes.

Gio: has a good arm, and his size is not an issue. Hopes that Gio can compete for a pen spot now.

These guys just need more time to mature, but both guys have major league arms that need command.

McCarthy might be fighting for the 5th spot, because Coop doesn't like handing anything to anyone, but BMac should have the advantage for right now.

McCarthy would have had a chance at a starting spot last year had it not been for the rotation, but nothing is being handed to him.

QUOTE(salty99 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
Oh I don't know, maybe because he's an expert on pitching.

Wow, that's pretty deep. Maybe we should have consulted with Tim Raines before we re-signed Pods because he is an "expert" in base stealing. Oh wait... nevermind. What has happened to the collective IQ of Sox fans this winter?? :huh

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Wow, that's pretty deep. Maybe we should have consulted with Tim Raines before we re-signed Pods because he is an "expert" in base stealing. Oh wait... nevermind. What has happened to the collective IQ of Sox fans this winter?? :huh

I was thinking the same thing considering Raines isn't even with the White Sox anymore.

QUOTE(salty99 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
I was thinking the same thing considering Raines isn't even with the White Sox anymore.

That's what the "nevermind" was for :unsure:

You think the Braves went to Leo Mazzone before they dumped guys like Maddux, Avery, Glavine, ect?? No, Mazzone took the rebulding tools that they gave him and won more divisions.

I am going to be really pissed if Garland is dealt. Plus good management decisions are not made in a vacuum. If you trade for pitchers you should talk with the pitching coach. Especially young talent. In my opinion KW does not have a good history of trading away or for young pitching talent.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
That's what the "nevermind" was for :unsure:

You think the Braves went to Leo Mazzone before they dumped guys like Maddux, Avery, Glavine, ect?? No, Mazzone took the rebulding tools that they gave him and won more divisions.

I dont' think we need to look at other teams as benchmarks for what the Sox should do. The point is that KW supposedly reviewed film "all day" on Gavin Floyd and thought that they could fix some mechanical issue. Well, Coop is the guy that will do the fixing so it makes sense that they would consult him to see 1) if he could fix him and 2) how quickly he thinks he could be ready to help the major league club...before making the deal. It only makes sense that the final decision makers (KW, JR et al) use all the resources at the disposal before making a deal for an unknown commodity.

I dont' think we need to look at other teams as benchmarks for what the Sox should do. The point is that KW supposedly reviewed film "all day" on Gavin Floyd and thought that they could fix some mechanical issue. Well, Coop is the guy that will do the fixing so it makes sense that they would consult him to see 1) if he could fix him and 2) how quickly he thinks he could be ready to help the major league club...before making the deal. It only makes sense that the final decision makers (KW, JR et al) use all the resources at the disposal before making a deal for an unknown commodity.

Watchtower is right. The front office doesn't check with coaches (except sometimes the manager) on whether they should acquire a player. It just doesn't happen. That isn't how things work. KW of course consulted other front office staff and all of the scouts who had seen him, but he wouldn't contact Cooper doesn't really know the guy. I heard the radio interview and Coop said he had seen Floyd "once on TV." That's it.

Yeah it scares me that they didnt talk to Coop about this deal.

The entire plan is that Floyd is fixable, yet Williams is not any sort of pitching coach. I would have preferred if Cooper atleast said something along the lines of, "Floyd is a guy that can be a difference maker, he is one you should target."

Otherwise its basically just Williams blind faith in a pitcher improving when they come to the Sox.

Yeah it scares me that they didnt talk to Coop about this deal.

The entire plan is that Floyd is fixable, yet Williams is not any sort of pitching coach. I would have preferred if Cooper atleast said something along the lines of, "Floyd is a guy that can be a difference maker, he is one you should target."

Otherwise its basically just Williams blind faith in a pitcher improving when they come to the Sox.

The reality is that pitching coaches don't scout. Front offices don't send pitching coaches out on scouting trips. Front offices don't give pitching coaches a bunch of tapes on a pitcher so they can evaluate them. That simply isn't how baseball organizations work. And there's a reason that isn't how baseball organizations do things. Frankly, pitching coaches are good at coaching and teaching and not so good at talent evaluation. That's what scouts do and what they are good at.

Edited by SoxHawk1980

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
The reality is that pitching coaches don't scout. Front offices don't send pitching coaches out on scouting trips. Front offices don't give pitching coaches a bunch of tapes on a pitcher so they can evaluate them. That simply isn't how baseball organizations work. And there's a reason that isn't how baseball organizations do things. Frankly, pitching coaches are good at coaching and teaching and not so good at talent evaluation. That's what scouts do and what they are good at.

Well, we agree on something.

You seem to be missing my point.

Williams said that Floyd is fixable.

That means that he is basing his evaluation on Floyd's ability to be coached, not his talent level.

The entire coaching is dependent on Cooper.

As an example:

I have no problem with the Sox acquiring Gio and other players who do not need to be "fixed" without asking their pitching coach.

But when they are giving up one of our starters in the belief that our pitching coach can fix him, I think that it would be common sense to ask the pitching coach whether or not he thinks that there is a problem that can be fixed.