Cooper to be on the Score

CWSGuy406

You seem to be missing my point.

Williams said that Floyd is fixable.

That means that he is basing his evaluation on Floyd's ability to be coached, not his talent level.

I don't think Coop or any other pitching coach can look at a pitcher and have a good idea if he can fix him. Coop has been able to help some pitchers and not others. Coop gets the pitchers that are on the roster and does his best to make them better. He doesn't know how fixable they are, and frankly neither does KW. KW saw a lot of talent (Floyd does have great stuff) and he knows he has a good pitching coach. KW is gambling that Floyd's talent + Coops talent = a greatly improved Floyd. That's how it works.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
You seem to be missing my point.

Williams said that Floyd is fixable.

That means that he is basing his evaluation on Floyd's ability to be coached, not his talent level.

The entire coaching is dependent on Cooper.

As an example:

I have no problem with the Sox acquiring Gio and other players who do not need to be "fixed" without asking their pitching coach.

But when they are giving up one of our starters in the belief that our pitching coach can fix him, I think that it would be common sense to ask the pitching coach whether or not he thinks that there is a problem that can be fixed.

Agree completely. This is not about talent evaluation (scout/ GM job), this is about fixing mechanics (pitching coaches job). Final decision = GM / Majority owner but consult the guy that is supposed to fix him, if for nothing else...piece of mind. We gave up a horse so at least know that we aren't getting damaged goods.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
That's how it works.

There would never be any changes in protocol if this was the credo everyone followed. However, we know that SOP changes all the time so I don't buy the "that's how it works" argument. There are evolving metrics in judging talent and there can be evolving procedures in obtaining a former 1st round pick that hasn't lived up to his potential (ahh yes, the Sox acquired one last off-season (Thornton) and consulted Coop so I guess it could work a different way too).

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
I don't think Coop or any other pitching coach can look at a pitcher and have a good idea if he can fix him. Coop has been able to help some pitchers and not others. Coop gets the pitchers that are on the roster and does his best to make them better. He doesn't know how fixable they are, and frankly neither does KW. KW saw a lot of talent (Floyd does have great stuff) and he knows he has a good pitching coach. KW is gambling that Floyd's talent + Coops talent = a greatly improved Floyd. That's how it works.

Yeah, except Coop said he saw the flaw in Thornton's delivery which played a large part in us acquiring him, but yeah, thats not how it works. Where do you even get this stuff? Does it just come to you?

i would imagine that kenny would at least tell coop what the sox plans are, or keep him abreast. not nec ask if we should do this or that, but rather coop we are thinking of doing this so learn about the guy. or we are looking to trade 2 of your starters, may not happen but be prepared. something along those lines.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
Yeah it scares me that they didnt talk to Coop about this deal.

The entire plan is that Floyd is fixable, yet Williams is not any sort of pitching coach. I would have preferred if Cooper atleast said something along the lines of, "Floyd is a guy that can be a difference maker, he is one you should target."

Otherwise its basically just Williams blind faith in a pitcher improving when they come to the Sox.

KW wasn't in the meetings by himself. He had a team of at least 6 guys with him [through media reports]-presumably scouts and guys who are probably equal or better judges of talent than Cooper. Wasn't the ex-Philly guy Amaro there or consulted?

The sox do a very good job of judging their own talent and getting talent not fully maximized by other teams. KW doesn't do this by himself. The organization as a whole has a good track record in this dept. Hopefully it continues with Floyd.