Cubs pick former TB #1 pick, Josh Hamilton in Rule V

southsider2k5

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
The Cubs pick up a former #1 pick in the Rule 5, and we have to give up Freddy to get a former #1 pick?

if this is the guy I'm remembering, this guy has had a vicious drug problem and was out of baseball for awhile, so comparing him to a #1 pick who is 23 years old does not equate

Ya, he had some serious problems and started cleaning his life up and was finally reinstated to play late last season. Pretty good story and he's one insane hitter but as a Rule V guy I don't know if he's exactly ready to sit on the bench of a major league club.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 07:58 PM)
Why? He made the choice to use heroin and screw his life up. I don't know his story, but I'm fairly sure he wasn't tied down and injected with heroin.

I'm fairly sure he wasn't tied down and forced to completely quit heroin (though I'm sure if he was arrested, he was put into detox), nor was he forced to work his ass off to try and make a comeback in the MLB.

I for one hope every recovering drug addict in the world succeeds and stays away from heroin/other drug for the rest of their life, and perhaps make something of themselves in the real world.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
I'm fairly sure he wasn't tied down and forced to completely quit heroin (though I'm sure if he was arrested, he was put into detox), nor was he forced to work his ass off to try and make a comeback in the MLB.

I for one hope every recovering drug addict in the world succeeds and stays away from heroin/other drug for the rest of their life, and perhaps make something of themselves in the real world.

Agreed.

If you are like me, you have followed the "legacy" of Josh Hamilton. This kid was going to be one of the best, but everything went wrong.

I'll bet he makes the club, and I'll be eventually puts up JD Drew type numbers.

Just a hunch.

ESPN INSIDER STORY PASTED BELOW

No joshing: Hamilton selected in Rule 5 draft

By Jerry Crasnick

ESPN.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- After snorting enough cocaine, drinking enough booze and seeing enough suns come up to jeopardize his baseball career and his life, Josh Hamilton finally found peace in the company of the Lord. And he became adept at reading signs.

On Wednesday, Hamilton awoke at 5 a.m. for a hunting trip in his native North Carolina and found a text message waiting on his cell phone.

"Jesus never fails," the message said. "Send this to nine other people and you will get good news."

Whether it was a question of divine intervention or mere chance, Hamilton didn't have to wait long for an answer. On Thursday morning, the Chicago Cubs selected Hamilton in Major League Baseball's Rule 5 draft and traded him to Cincinnati for cash. Just a few months after playing for the Hudson Valley Renegades in the New York-Penn League, Hamilton is preparing for spring training in Sarasota, Fla., where he will share a clubhouse with the likes of Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn.

"I don't really believe in coincidences," Hamilton said, "but I thought that was pretty amazing."

Eight years ago, when Hamilton was hitting baseballs off scoreboards, digging hard from first to third and throwing out runners from the warning track as a high school star, scouts talked about him with the sort of wistful tone they typically reserve for the Mickey Mantles and Bo Jacksons of the world.

The Devil Rays gave him a $3.96 million bonus as the No. 1 pick in the 1999 June draft, and it was never a question of if -- simply when.

"People always said his ability is off the charts," said Scott Nethery, a longtime scout who now works in Cincinnati's front office. "It's a freakish type of ability."

But there's no accounting for fate -- or the ravages of temptation. Since his days as a Baseball America darling, Hamilton became a walking cautionary tale, falling in with the wrong crowd, adorning his well-sculpted body with tattoos and spiraling downward through drug use until he reached what looked like the point of no return.

After numerous rehabs and second chances, he finally found himself on the bargain rack. The Rule 5 draft consists of players who aren't protected on 40-man rosters, and is basically an afterthought to the multimillion-dollar signings and impromptu Scott Boras news conferences at the winter meetings each December.

Although it was quiet in the Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort ballroom Thursday morning, lots of scouts and front-office people sat upright in their chairs when the Cubs chose Hamilton third overall. MLB official Roy Krasik announced the pick directly between Kansas City's selection of Joakim Soria and Pittsburgh's choice of Sean White.

Here's how it works: The Reds, who paid $50,000 to acquire Hamilton, must keep him on the big league roster for the entire 2007 season. If they want to take him off the roster, they must put him through waivers, and the other 29 clubs can claim him. If Hamilton clears waivers, Cincinnati must offer him back to the Devil Rays for $25,000.

It remains to be seen what this year's Rule 5 draft will mean for Hamilton, Josh Phelps, Lincoln Holdzkom and the 16 other players chose in the major league phase. But through the years, it's done wonders for the likes of Roberto Clemente, George Bell and Johan Santana -- the gold standard of Rule 5 picks.

Hamilton was in the woods helping his brother cut trees to earn some extra Christmas money when he got the news. An hour later, a dozen writers were on a conference call grilling him about what comes next.

"I can't describe it," Hamilton said. "It's a dream come true. When you look at where I've been for the last three or four years, and now to have this happen, I just feel fortunate that someone has that kind of faith in me."

Hamilton will have to overcome numerous obstacles to succeed in Cincinnati. He is 25 years old, and he has lost a lot of development time because of his off-field travails. Last year, he was limited to 15 games and 50 at-bats with Hudson Valley before suffering a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery.

Even the most mature, well-adjusted Rule 5 picks must adapt to a new life filled with autograph hunters, groupies and media scrutiny in the majors. Two years ago, the Kansas City Royals anointed veteran pitcher and solid citizen Jeremy Affeldt to ease the transition for 6-foot, 9-inch wild child Andrew Sisco. The Reds, in all likelihood, will have to find someone to help babysit Hamilton.

"We feel it's worth the gamble," Cincinnati GM Wayne Krivsky said. "He's still young, and we like his upside. You do as much background work as you can and make a decision. There's risk in everything you do."

Because of his checkered past, Hamilton must undergo regular drug testing. But he has learned to cope thanks to his religious awakening and the support of his family and his wife, Katie. Cincinnati manager Jerry Narron, a fellow North Carolinian whose nephews played youth ball with Hamilton, plans to contact the newest Red soon just to let him know he's wanted.

Devil Rays GM Andrew Friedman won't be shocked if this experiment ends with Hamilton being offered back to Tampa Bay. But after watching everything Hamilton has endured in his fight with drug addiction, Friedman hopes the story has an upbeat ending.

"I'm sure Josh would be the first to tell you that this is a daily thing, and something he's going to fight every day for the rest of his life," Friedman said. "But the way he's responded and stepped up is very admirable. I don't think there's anybody in the country not rooting for him."

As Hamilton took stock of his past difficulties and future opportunities Thursday, he made it clear that success is more a question of personal will than of baseball.

"Baseball has never been the problem," he said.

Jerry Crasnick covers baseball for ESPN Insider. His book "License To Deal" has been published by Rodale. Click here to order a copy. Jerry can be reached via e-mail.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)

I feel that people should take responsibility for their actions and success should be had by those who steer clear of drugs before those who have recovered from drug addiction. I find it hard to defend a guy who was a promising prospect and started doing hard drugs because he was being benched.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
I feel that people should take responsibility for their actions

And he has, unless you are following a completely different person.

success should be had by those who steer clear of drugs before those who have recovered from drug addiction.

Success should be earned, regardless of what route you take in life.