Reinsdorf speaks

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
He didn't need to say anything about Buehrle, but Reinsdorf has shown the past couple of years he is willing to open his wallet when need be, and letting his GM make decisions in the best interest of the team. Add in the fact that as attendance has gone up, he's been willing to spend more, as well as the fact he and the Sox are involved in numerous programs to help others, he's done a pretty fair job so far.

That and a World Championship.

Heads you got it all wrong, Reinsdorf is just being cheap. he should of just overpaid for an 86mph pitcher maybe in the 60-75 million dollar range. that would prove it. :bang

So to all of our goofy fans who think that Jerry is just being cheap. Do you really advocate giving 60 to 70 million dollars over 5 years to Freddy and Buerhle. And if the answer is yes, please check the reality hat at the door. Now for those who want to give a 5 year deal to Buerhle. Which Buerhle is going to pitch next year the dominant guy, or the guy who got rocked over and over last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
It would be nice if the leaders of this organization would stop whining in the press about salaries. Nothing infuriates a fan base more than having to hear these type of complaints.

Agreed. Shut up already. Jerry, KW, and Ozzie have all hurt the organiztion with their comments. I get it, we are back to small market mentality. Horrible move that will cause a downward spiral in attendance again, which will bring the payroll with it. I think Sox fans would tolerate rebuilding when the time came. Selling the car because the price of gas is higher than you want it to be will not be tolerated. Just say that you plan too keep the payroll high and win championships but you can't hold on to everyone. This cry poor crap made me sad when the Cell was half empty, it pisses me off when there is record attendance and high season ticket renewals. :angry:

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
I'd say his comments about Buerhle don't bode well for his future here.

Is Buerhle next to go ?

If Buerhle wants to sign a deal similiar to Garland or the Count he will stay. If he want a 5 year somewhere between Zito and Meche then he will be gone.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Agreed. Shut up already. Jerry, KW, and Ozzie have all hurt the organiztion with their comments. I get it, we are back to small market mentality. Horrible move that will cause a downward spiral in attendance again, which will bring the payroll with it. I think Sox fans would tolerate rebuilding when the time came. Selling the car because the price of gas is higher than you want it to be will not be tolerated. Just say that you plan too keep the payroll high and win championships but you can't hold on to everyone. This cry poor crap made me sad when the Cell was half empty, it pisses me off when there is record attendance and high season ticket renewals. :angry:

They aren't selling the car, just taking the bus a little more often.

Seriously, wtf do you mean a small market mentality?

That is DRASTICALLY mischaracterizing their actions.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
If Buerhle wants to sign a deal similiar to Garland or the Count he will stay. If he want a 5 year somewhere between Zito and Meche then he will be gone.

Never thought I would see a sentence like that....."somewhere between Zito and Meche..."

What is the world coming to?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Whatever happened to raising the payroll after last season ?

Didn't we finish the season at about $100 million ? With the attendance, TV Ratings, and new collective bargaining agreement that has seemed to give other teams $$$$ to burn, why can't we raise our payroll ?

The payroll is naturally rising as a result of escalating salaries, arbitration eligible players, etc.

Additionally, let's see how the rest of this offseason plays out before we start discussing where our payroll is at.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Whatever happened to raising the payroll after last season ?

Didn't we finish the season at about $100 million ? With the attendance, TV Ratings, and new collective bargaining agreement that has seemed to give other teams $$$$ to burn, why can't we raise our payroll ?

How much of a raise will Dye get from his 6 million dollar deal next year.

How much of a raise would of Garcia got.

How much of a raise would Buerhle get.

Add in some raises in arbitration battles.

Add in eventually Joe Crede.

How much f***ing money do you think we have to wrap up in a few players.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)

It doesn't sound like the White Sox are even interested in offering extensions though from what Williams says.

I think they have already made their mind up that they need to rebuild the starting pitching.

That's why I was surprised to hear Garland could be traded today with 2 seasons to go at a very reasonable salary- if you're going to move Buerhle, at least you can argue that he'll cost too much, but they can still have a pretty good top 4 for next season with Contreras, Garland, Vasquez, McCarthy, and then let 2 of their top prospects (Floyd and the prospect acquired for Buerhle) fight it out for the #5 spot.

Personally, I would keep Buerhle for next season, try to win it next season, and if doesn't work out, then that's that.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
How much of a raise will Dye get from his 6 million dollar deal next year.

How much of a raise would of Garcia got.

How much of a raise would Buerhle get.

Add in some raises in arbitration battles.

Add in eventually Joe Crede.

How much f***ing money do you think we have to wrap up in a few players.

It doesn't appear that you read the newspaper very often, but Kenny Williams has said they won't be offering any extensions to their starting pitching. Did you miss that or are you thinking they are going to sign them still ?

That would seem to eliminate Garcia and Buerhle from your list.

If Crede continues to play well next season, do you expect the White Sox to sign him, given his agent ?

So, we're now down to Dye. I hope they resign him, but this is hardly guaranteed.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
The payroll is naturally rising as a result of escalating salaries, arbitration eligible players, etc.

Additionally, let's see how the rest of this offseason plays out before we start discussing where our payroll is at.

Fair Enough.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
It doesn't sound like the White Sox are even interested in offering extensions though from what Williams says.

I think they have already made their mind up that they need to rebuild the starting pitching.

That's why I was surprised to hear Garland could be traded today with 2 seasons to go at a very reasonable salary- if you're going to move Buerhle, at least you can argue that he'll cost too much, but they can still have a pretty good top 4 for next season with Contreras, Garland, Vasquez, McCarthy, and then let 2 of their top prospects (Floyd and the prospect acquired for Buerhle) fight it out for the #5 spot.

Personally, I would keep Buerhle for next season, try to win it next season, and if doesn't work out, then that's that.

Thats not what was said. They did discuss extensions, however the years and amounts made the sox feel uncomfortable, so they traded him.

Of course Garland was rumored. He is the most attractive. People are not willing to give up their sure fire number one guys in the minors for a one year rental.

1.) Jon Garland - young, signed for multiple years at a good rate, sinkerballer

2.) Vazquez - talented, has a year and an arbitration year left.

3.) the rest

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
It doesn't appear that you read the newspaper very often, but Kenny Williams has said they won't be offering any extensions to their starting pitching. Did you miss that or are you thinking they are going to sign them still ?

That would seem to eliminate Garcia and Buerhle from your list.

If Crede continues to play well next season, do you expect the White Sox to sign him, given his agent ?

So, we're now down to Dye. I hope they resign him, but this is hardly guaranteed.

Fair Enough.

But you have to realize that salaries across the board on our team escalated this year. Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Garland, Mark, Dye, AJ, etc.....most of the contracts were slightly backloaded, so we probably picked up about 10 million that way.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
I'd say his comments about Buerhle don't bode well for his future here.

Is Buerhle next to go ?

Sounds like Garland is next to go the highest bidder. Buerhle will be after him. JV will get to much in arbitration next off season. Hell, trade Crede, Dye, and Iguchi too. We can't let them be free agents! They will want money! If we are going to water down the team to the point where staying consistantly competitive in the division is the goal instead of a another World Series Championship, let's do it in style man. Let's compete with the Marlins as the "holy crap I can't believe how good they are on such a pitifull payroll race"

2007 Rotation

Stud prospect

Coop Canfixum

Kenny Dreamin

WhoDa Helldat

and from Tiawan, Wa Da Fuk

:chair

Sorry. This may have been the most disappointing couple of days that I've ever had as a Sox fan.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Thats not what was said. They did discuss extensions, however the years and amounts made the sox feel uncomfortable, so they traded him.

Of course Garland was rumored. He is the most attractive. People are not willing to give up their sure fire number one guys in the minors for a one year rental.

1.) Jon Garland - young, signed for multiple years at a good rate, sinkerballer

2.) Vazquez - talented, has a year and an arbitration year left.

3.) the rest

''It was our intention to talk about extensions with every one of [the current starting pitchers] because they're all young, they're all durable and I don't think -- at one point in time -- outside of the business question,'' Williams said. ''What's going on now in the market, it's not realistic for us to go that route. We've got to make an adjustment.''

''What we would be talking about, honestly, are numbers and years I'm not comfortable with,'' Williams said of negotiating with his pitchers.

It doesn't sound like extensions were ever discussed based upon the above quotes - they just didn't like the way the market was headed, and decided to retool the rotation.

Of course, I understand teams are going to target Garland first because of his contract status, but, from the White Sox perspective, they can still get a lot for Buerhle, should they choose to move him.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)

''It was our intention to talk about extensions with every one of [the current starting pitchers] because they're all young, they're all durable and I don't think -- at one point in time -- outside of the business question,'' Williams said. ''What's going on now in the market, it's not realistic for us to go that route. We've got to make an adjustment.''

''What we would be talking about, honestly, are numbers and years I'm not comfortable with,'' Williams said of negotiating with his pitchers.

It doesn't sound like extensions were ever discussed based upon the above quotes - they just didn't like the way the market was headed, and decided to retool the rotation.

Of course, I understand teams are going to target Garland first because of his contract status, but, from the White Sox perspective, they can still get a lot for Buerhle, should they choose to move him.

Explain why we would get a lot for a one year rental. Whatever team trades for Mark will get him for 30 starts, and then he is off to FA.

Unless they believe they can sign him. But again they will have to pay top dollar.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
Explain why we would get a lot for a one year rental. Whatever team trades for Mark will get him for 30 starts, and then he is off to FA.

Unless they believe they can sign him. But again they will have to pay top dollar.

Keep in mind that right at this moment, Mark Buehrle is a one year rental for US.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)

Good point. KW had better start planning to dump our players 2-3 years before they make money. That will definately help maintain the proud Chicago All-Prospect team.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
AMEN on Mark Buehrle Jerry, even if the people won't like it around here. If he wants to wear a freaking Cardinals cap around, go play for 'em.

People need to let that f***ing go. Put yourself in a player's position. If you were an MLB player and were drafted to say ... the angels? Your whole life you were a White Sox fan, born and raised. What is wrong with wearing a Sox hat say at the end of the season? Nothing at all. Now if he actually made a comment like I don't want to be in a White Sox uni anymore or I can't wait til I become a free agent and get to become a card then it would be a new story.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
But you have to realize that salaries across the board on our team escalated this year. Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Garland, Mark, Dye, AJ, etc.....most of the contracts were slightly backloaded, so we probably picked up about 10 million that way.

I understand that, but I'd be interested in knowing how much our overall payroll increased from arbritration, contract increases, etc, and whether that would account for the room in increasing the payroll.

I was hoping with the 2006 revenue they would be able to do a bit more than just account for the natural increases, and then complain about the free agency market being too expensive.

Seeing this in the DailyHerald does concern me:

Money talks: The White Sox’ payroll was nearly $100 million last season, and they figure to spend the same amount in 2007, even with Freddy Garcia’s $10 million salary off the books.