Runelvys Hernandez

DBAHO

From the Daily Herald;

Not long ago, Runelvys Hernandez was considered one of the Royals’ bright young prospects. Now he’s 28 and a free agent after being cut loose by Kansas City this week.

You’re gonna laugh but don’t be stunned if the White Sox take a look at him. He won’t cost much, and he still has a great arm, assuming he’s healthy.

Hernandez has thrown some gems against the Sox in the past and beat them home and road in August and September, two defeats that really hurt the Sox’ playoff chances.

Here comes Operation:Non-roster Invitee to save the ChiSox day!!

I'm really just not sure how I feel about the landscape of our team these days, I'm pretty disheartened by the stance that JR and KW have taken after waiting so long to see such great attendance numbers.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
Stats are pretty rough, but he was on KC. (25-33, 5.38 ERA, 1.51 WHIP)

His Service Time is 3.077 and he made $1.225 million for 2006. The best part is he fired Boras as his agent, so he is almost a shoe in for the Sox.

His numbers are skewed by some serious injuries. He was not the same guy right after he was returning from his injury.

I don't think you people understand the issue here. Hernandez is TERRIBLE. Why exactly would we acquire him? What purpose would he serve? I'd rather have every current starter, Haeger, Tracey, Broadway, Gonzalez, etc.

You know, suggesting "low risk high reward" for every medicore player our organization has interest in is really beginning to annoy me. People throw it around without further validating their points. Atleast lie and try to convince me such a move would be warranted.

If Hernandez actually had a successful career to look back upon, a decent arm, a figure not resembling the blob, or injuries which have plagued his career, perhas I'd be interested. As of now, we have better options within.

I doubt it'll come to us, anyways. Can't believe no other team would be willing to actually give him an opening to pitch within their bullpen or perhaps starting rotation. He wouldn't be guaranteed a position on our ballclub.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why wouldn't you kick the tires on Hernandez? He has front of the rotation stuff, if you can keep him from getting hurt.

Based on what?

435.1 IP, 231 K's, 177 BB's.

Add in a bad attitude and poor work ethic, and you have one terrible baseball player.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His numbers are skewed by some serious injuries. He was not the same guy right after he was returning from his injury.

Ok, I see a lower ERA, but the WHIP is still not impressive, and he still walked a fair amount of guys and struck out nobody, and if numbers have been affected since recovering from 2003, what makes you think he could turn it around?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Cmon now, people.

I don't know which Runelvys several you have been watching, but starts against us club aside, he's no better than any soft-tossing scrub our minors may produce.

There's really no use for him, at all.

Runelvys isn't a soft tosser. The guy has far more upside than a AAAA scrub. At worst, they could turn him into a set up guy in AAA who could likely help the sox in 2007.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
Why wouldn't you kick the tires on Hernandez? He has front of the rotation stuff, if you can keep him from getting hurt.

Exactly it's a low risk/high reward gamble. It sounds like the issue is his healthy more so then his ability to pitch. The Sox have Herm to help with this.

Bob

This really seems like another case of Soxtalkers having a CFSE* with a particular player that we see a few times a year. Look at the numbers. He is a loser, can't strike guys out, so he wouldn't be good in the bullpen. He has also had problems in the clubhouse and is in poor shape.

*Chris Farley Show Experience- When fans remember one game that really sticks it to them when a particular player's name is mentioned.

chris(1).jpg

"You remember that one time, when Runelvys pitched against the Sox, and we couldn't get guys to score, and Cora sent Iguchi home and he got thrown out by a mile?"

"Yeah I remember that. What About it?"

"We really needed that win."

.....and before anbody spouts any nonsense about Hernandez being a Sox killer (he won opening day during the Royals' fluke 2003,) his career numbers against the Sox: 4-6, 6.58 ERA, 1.58 WHIP, 15 HR in 67 IP.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
Based on what?

435.1 IP, 231 K's, 177 BB's.

Add in a bad attitude and poor work ethic, and you have one terrible baseball player.

I'd have bad attitude and poor work ethic too if I played for the Royals.. Put someone on a contender and sometimes there's a good turnaround to reach their full potential (see Scott Podsednik 2k5).