Jose Uribe dead in car crash

Adam G

Not sure if this is truly Sox related, but some here might be interested to know. CNN headline:

Authorities say former San Francisco Giants shortstop Jose Uribe was killed early today in a car crash in his native Dominican Republic, The Associated Press reports.

It hasn't happened recently around here, but for a good time when Uribe replaced Valentin you'd find someone calling Juan "Jose Uribe." Only reason I knew who he was before this accident.

I'm sure there are a lot of people browsing the internet today who believe our Uribe was the one killed.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
ESPN News is stating that Jose Uribe was the father of Chicago White Sox SS Juan Uribe.

Wikipedia claims he's a distant relative.

I know that doesn't indicate anything conclusive, but I'd have to imagine most of the articles summarizing his death would have mentioned a relation if it were father/son.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Wikipedia claims he's a distant relative.

I know that doesn't indicate anything conclusive, but I'd have to imagine most of the articles summarizing his death would have mentioned a relation if it were father/son.

baseball reference says they have no relation at all

We should just ask Juan