Thank you, Freddy

Steve9347

Freddy Garcia said he did have some shoulder pain during a 2006 season in which his velocity was consistently down.

He believes his heavy workload through 2005 and the postseason took a toll. "My shoulder hurt a little bit. I couldn't let it go," Garcia said. "I'm getting a lot of rest." If Garcia is throwing harder next spring, he'd be a better option in fantasy leagues.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, but Freddy is going to throw 86 forever... :bang It was totally obvious that last year pretty much the entire staff was hurt and/or tired for basically the whole season. You don't lose that much velocity for no reason, and lo and behold, now the reasons are coming out.

He is soooo primed for a 20 win season, a huge contract, and then a huge let down.

Freddie was one of our "championship" players. Indeed, you could make a pretty good case that he was our best postseason pitcher -- on a par with Contreras -- in 2005.

Sure wish we could have shipped off that weak-kneed Javier Vazquez instead and kept Freddie in Chicago for the next 5-6 years. I expect he'll average 15 wins/year into his late 30s, whether or not he regains the velocity he once had. Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez -- together -- will be hard-pressed to win as many games over the same span. Sure hope I'm wrong about that, however.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, but Freddy is going to throw 86 forever... :bang It was totally obvious that last year pretty much the entire staff was hurt and/or tired for basically the whole season. You don't lose that much velocity for no reason, and lo and behold, now the reasons are coming out.

He is soooo primed for a 20 win season, a huge contract, and then a huge let down.

I completely agree. If his arm is back in full health and his velocity is back to normal, he'll be extremely effective in the National League. Of course, as you mentioned, he'll earn his buck and then be a huge let down.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
I completely agree. If his arm is back in full health and his velocity is back to normal, he'll be extremely effective in the National League. Of course, as you mentioned, he'll earn his buck and then be a huge let down.

..... unless he signs with Boston next offseason.