Rocco Baldelli

sox-r-us

Here is Baldelli's contract from mlb4u.com:

Contract:

signed 3-year deal worth 9M thru 2008 season on 11/10/05- + the deal could be worth as much as 32M over 6 years- + he receives salaries of 2M in 2006, 750K in 2007 and 2.25M in 2008- + with 600PA in 2006, his 2007 salary can increase to 2.5M and 2008 salary can increase to 4.5M- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 6M or a 4M buyout- + if 2009 option is exercised, then a dual 2010 Team Option worth 8M and 2011 Team Option worth 9M are added- + the 2010 and 2011 options must be exercised together- + if the dual option is declined, then he receives a 2M buyout- + if does not reach 600PA in 2006, then he can earn 1.75M in performance bonuses in 2007 (mostly based on PA) and 2.25M in performance bonuses in 2008 (mostly based on PA)- + 2008 salary can become guaranteed at 5M (w/out performance bonuses) if he reaches 600PA in 2007- + as part of deal, if he remains with Rays thru 2011, he will have donated 400K to Rays' charitable foundation

Agent: Casey Close (negotiated 6-year contract by himself) (fired Scott Boras in July 2005)

I'm sure that this is also attractive to Kenny.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Here is Baldelli's contract from mlb4u.com:

Contract:

signed 3-year deal worth 9M thru 2008 season on 11/10/05- + the deal could be worth as much as 32M over 6 years- + he receives salaries of 2M in 2006, 750K in 2007 and 2.25M in 2008- + with 600PA in 2006, his 2007 salary can increase to 2.5M and 2008 salary can increase to 4.5M- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 6M or a 4M buyout- + if 2009 option is exercised, then a dual 2010 Team Option worth 8M and 2011 Team Option worth 9M are added- + the 2010 and 2011 options must be exercised together- + if the dual option is declined, then he receives a 2M buyout- + if does not reach 600PA in 2006, then he can earn 1.75M in performance bonuses in 2007 (mostly based on PA) and 2.25M in performance bonuses in 2008 (mostly based on PA)- + 2008 salary can become guaranteed at 5M (w/out performance bonuses) if he reaches 600PA in 2007- + as part of deal, if he remains with Rays thru 2011, he will have donated 400K to Rays' charitable foundation

Agent: Casey Close (negotiated 6-year contract by himself) (fired Scott Boras in July 2005)

I'm sure that this is also attractive to Kenny.

This and Ozzie's silly contract that he negotiated and signed himself prove that athletes should just stick to being athletes and let agents negotiate their deals. Baldelli, like Ozzie, got hosed. Also, if a rapper (i.e. Master P) approaches you to handle your contract negotiations, just say "NO." He is the one that negotiated Ricky Williams' first contract with the Saints that basically would pay him market value if and only if he reached some unprecendented numbers for carries, yds, and TDs...all for a top 5 pick. WTF?

IMO, there's a reason the talk keeps coming back to the sox being interested in Baldelli--he fits in with the sox short and long term plans almost perfectly. He could eventually replace Pods as leadoff hitter [though Pods should start the yr in LF--though I wouldn't be surprised if Sweeney started in LF and Pods was traded before spring], and allow the sox to move both Fields and Sweeney into the lineup in the next two yrs. The sox shouldn't have BA, Ryan and Josh trying to adjust to the majors at the same time. Rocco's blend of SB speed, hitting for avg and power and CF defense for the next 5 yrs compliments the current lineup the sox have built.

And we all know, when KW sets his sights on someone, he usually gets his man. The only question is how us fans will react when the sox "overpay" for Baldelli.

If Anderson is involved fine, but I wouldn't want Floyd, Danks, or Gio involved. If its Haeger, Broadway or Fields or anyone like that in addition to BA fine.

Oh and I wouldn't be a big fan of dealing Massett. And if its just Gio/BA for Baldelli than I'd be fine. That said I don't really want to move Floyd or Haeger since I expect both to be competing.

Maybe we deal BA, one of our pitching prospects (not our very best one's like Dank), Broadway, and a guy like Russell or Egbert or someone like that who is a lower level guy (or not quite as highly touted, but still a guy that could make a potential impact).

Maybe I'm under-valuing Baldelli but with his checkered past with injuries I'm skeptical when it comes to dealing our best pitching prospects for a CF (when we are including a pretty good CF prospect as it is).

Are people here thinking Baldelli for CF, or LF? I don't see Baldelli being worth SO much more than Anderson that he's worth, say, Anderson-Floyd-Broadway. Anderson showed signs of improvement last year. I'd rather try to get Baldelli in ADDITION to Anderson, instead of replacing him...

Maybe we can give up something more like:

--One of Floyd/Broadway/Haeger

--One of our other pitching arms that is not quite as highly regarded as those top tier guys (maybe Phillips or similar)

--Pods and/or Jerry Owens (the and/or depends on the caliber of that 2nd pitcher)

Keep Anderson, and have him, Baldelli and Dye in the OF. Rays get two pitchers, a replacement OF and maybe another young prospect OF.

Then in 2008, if we can't sign Dye, you have Sweeney ready.

Scenarios are fun.

Why is Tampa looking to move Rocco? Because they have an abundance of good young outfielders. Why would they want Anderson? Would you trade Garcia for Rocco? They might go for Floyd/Gio. I think it will be Floyd and another decent young pitcher, maybe Broadway.

I don't understand this Baldelli stuff, especially if Anderson is involved. While Baldelli is a solid all-around player, he has his own faults, including the proclivity to get injured, and his proneness to striking out.

Given our offense, I would have to be receiving a lot more of a sure thing to consider moving Brian and pitching prospects. Now if you want to discuss Crawford, that is one thing, but Baldelli? I'm not going out of my way to get him at this point.

Additionally, why would TB even want Anderson back? Isn't that the entire point of moving an OF? Because they have so many OF'ers?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't understand this Baldelli stuff, especially if Anderson is involved. While Baldelli is a solid all-around player, he has his own faults, including the proclivity to get injured, and his proneness to striking out.

Given our offense, I would have to be receiving a lot more of a sure thing to consider moving Brian and pitching prospects. Now if you want to discuss Crawford, that is one thing, but Baldelli? I'm not going out of my way to get him at this point.

Additionally, why would TB even want Anderson back? Isn't that the entire point of moving an OF? Because they have so many OF'ers?

Good point.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is Tampa looking to move Rocco? Because they have an abundance of good young outfielders. Why would they want Anderson? Would you trade Garcia for Rocco? They might go for Floyd/Gio. I think it will be Floyd and another decent young pitcher, maybe Broadway.

That is a great point. Why would they want Brian Anderson back in a trade? That is what Levine reported, but that doesn't make sense at all.

2 young pitching prospects should get it done. Floyd and Broadway for Baldelli.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
That is a great point. Why would they want Brian Anderson back in a trade? That is what Levine reported, but that doesn't make sense at all.

2 young pitching prospects should get it done. Floyd and Broadway for Baldelli.

They could spin Anderson to the Marlins for even more pitching.

Broadway or Floyd should be all that is given up. Then Rocco, Pods and Anderson can platoon in the outfield. Baldelli has not proven enough to be giving up more than one decent arm. His OBP is only .339 and he has played in 92 of a possible 324 games the last two years. How he is some how garnering the talent that is right ther ewith Crawford is beyond me. Danks should be able to get Crawford straight up or with a decent lower level prospect.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
They could spin Anderson to the Marlins for even more pitching.

But why complicate things? Anderson isn't exactly at the peak of his value right now (at least I hope not, gulp). We are fairly flush with pitching prospects right now. Seems they would just ask for the prospects from us instead of Brian.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Broadway or Floyd should be all that is given up. Then Rocco, Pods and Anderson can platoon in the outfield. Baldelli has not proven enough to be giving up more than one decent arm. His OBP is only .339 and he has played in 92 of a possible 324 games the last two years. How he is some how garnering the talent that is right ther ewith Crawford is beyond me. Danks should be able to get Crawford straight up or with a decent lower level prospect.

If Crawford was that attainable, he'd already be playing for us right now. KW would have dealt Brandon for Crawford if that deal was possible. Additionally, they've reportedly turned down E Santana as well.

It would take significantly more than just Danks.

Someone should say it: the Sox are stockpiling pitching because they're going to rebuild the rotation completely once all the current deals are done unless by some miracle all of our pitchers take significant pay cuts and decline to hit free agency. We're not going to trade pitching for an oft-injured Rocco Baldelli because these arms -- Floyd, Haeger, Danks -- are our future.

Not that I approve of it, but that's the plan.

Just so everyone knows, i heard the radio report from Bruce Levine.

He brought up no new information at all, he just brought up the fact that the white sox had interest in baldelli at the winter meetings. He's just stirring the s*** for a story, but there has been nothing out of white sox camp that is new saying that they were interested in Baldelli.

We can probably get Baldelli for Broadway and Haegar. TB wants pitching and with all the moves KW made we have enough to spare. Like most of you on here I would keep Anderson as a 4th OF as there will likely be a great chance that Baldelli gets hurt or Pods sucks ass again. KW often did this with Rowand, replacing him and making him that 4th OFer.

I like Baldelli, he is that Grinder type that KW and Ozzie obsess about, not only is he a great defender, but he is also a solid hitter and he would round out our lineup very well. Go for it K-dub

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
We can probably get Baldelli for Broadway and Haegar. TB wants pitching and with all the moves KW made we have enough to spare. Like most of you on here I would keep Anderson as a 4th OF as there will likely be a great chance that Baldelli gets hurt or Pods sucks ass again. KW often did this with Rowand, replacing him and making him that 4th OFer.

I like Baldelli, he is that Grinder type that KW and Ozzie obsess about, not only is he a great defender, but he is also a solid hitter and he would round out our lineup very well. Go for it K-dub

Some time in the New Year I'm going to put together a little essay for everyone on 'Player Value' just so I don't have to read such things anymore.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
Someone should say it: the Sox are stockpiling pitching because they're going to rebuild the rotation completely once all the current deals are done unless by some miracle all of our pitchers take significant pay cuts and decline to hit free agency. We're not going to trade pitching for an oft-injured Rocco Baldelli because these arms -- Floyd, Haeger, Danks -- are our future.

Not that I approve of it, but that's the plan.

I don't think KW has said that is the "plan". The sox are stockpiling pitching because that is the most valuable commodity. But that doesn't mean the sox will keep all the young arms they have. If they just kept guys in AAA who should be in the majors, that would lessen their value even more.

So, yes the sox are getting arms. But they still should look to keep veteran pitchers as well. Guys who can go 200 innings each yr are very valuable and the sox will try and keep a few around. Plus, they still will have 3/5 of their rotation around for 2 more yrs. A young arm or two could still be traded--esp for a guy who can stabilize a key position like CF for 5 yrs

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Some time in the New Year I'm going to put together a little essay for everyone on 'Player Value' just so I don't have to read such things anymore.

The sad thing is, if Tampa Bay were to make that exact deal, Baldelli for Broadway and Haeger, I bet it would actually help them be a much better team in 2007 and 2008 than sitting there holding onto Baldelli and waiting for someone to meet their price will.