Calling All Video Game Nerds

FlaSoxxJim

This was the number one item on both my kids lists. My video game system expertise peaked right around the days of Intellivision, so I'm out of my realm. Any insights from folks more up to speed would be helpful.

They are 7 and almost 9 years old, and they do have a PS2 console system. Santa will NOT be dropping a huge wad of cash on any next generation console systems, but he may relent and leave one or two of these if the reviews are favorable.

Are there a good number of games for that age range between the DS games and the legacy gameboy Advance games?

Is the wi-fi plug and play? I already have a IEEE 802.11 network at home so are these things good to go out of the box?

If they each get their own unit (ouch!), would they also need to have duplicate game cards to play wirelessly against one another or can the machines read card data from each other?

How rugged are they?

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks . . . slackers! :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
This was the number one item on both my kids lists. My video game system expertise peaked right around the days of Intellivision, so I'm out of my realm. Any insights from folks more up to speed would be helpful.

They are 7 and almost 9 years old, and they do have a PS2 console system. Santa will NOT be dropping a huge wad of cash on any next generation console systems, but he may relent and leave one or two of these if the reviews are favorable.

Are there a good number of games for that age range between the DS games and the legacy gameboy Advance games?

Is the wi-fi plug and play? I already have a IEEE 802.11 network at home so are these things good to go out of the box?

If they each get their own unit (ouch!), would they also need to have duplicate game cards to play wirelessly against one another or can the machines read card data from each other?

How rugged are they?

Any other thoughts?

1. Yes. The DS is the best selling video game system of all-time, which means plenty of companies come out with plenty of games ranging in a wide range of categories.

2. Should work right out of the box with Wi-Fi.

3. Most games you will only need 1 cart to play each, some you may need 2.

4. Pretty much unbreakable.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)

How rugged are they?

Any other thoughts?

How do you expect your children to take the next step in evolution if they can't have a damn PS3? some scientist YOU are.

Nintedo is known for making games that appeal to younger kids. Lots and lots of Mario and Pokemon games.

We have one DS already and plan on getting another this Christmas. We asked my oldest which one she would prefer and she actually said the original DS rather than the Lite.

FWIW, the DS doesn't have a lot of games that are rated high. They have a few rated very well, and an abundance listed as good to average. I guess the DS doesn't have the capability to go any further than that--or programmers aren't just creative enough.

I haven't played on the handheld consoules in quite awhile (game gear was the last I had, if I can remember right), and even that I didn't play much.

I believe if you have a Gamecube there are a few games that sync up with the DS (Zelda: Windwaker was one), and depending on how much your kids like video games, this is a very cool feature and a very big help for the longer games.

I love video games, but the DS has never caught my attention. However, if your kids want to play this a lot on the go (I.E. a lot of short trips) then the DS is the way to go. If you take a lot of long trips, planes, vacations, long drives and such, it might be wiser to invest in some more PS2 games, a portable screen for the PS2 and a battery pack.

Edited by BobDylan

B>W, do you know if the Nintendo DS is compatible with the Wii? If so, is there additional software required for the connection?

I've really been thinking about purchasing a Wii as of late. Browsing through IGN's game catalog for Gamecube, there's a sizable amount of quality games. I figure the plan would be purchase Wii, then several of the following:

-External Darkness

-Resident Evil

-Super Mario Sunshine

-Metroid Prime

-Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

-Metroid Prime 2

-Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time/ The Master Quest.

-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Xbox360 and Playstation 3 are too expensive (in my opinion) right now, and since I own a Xbox and Playstation 2 already, I'll still have value left in the original consules. If Nintendo DS could play on Wii, that would really be the turning point. Dylan says Wii doesn't have many good games, although friends that have the system (and Gamespot) suggest otherwise.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
B>W, do you know if the Nintendo DS is compatible with the Wii? If so, is there additional software required for the connection?

I've really been thinking about purchasing a Wii as of late. Browsing through IGN's game catalog for Gamecube, there's a sizable amount of quality games. I figure the plan would be purchase Wii, then several of the following:

-External Darkness

-Resident Evil

-Super Mario Sunshine

-Metroid Prime

-Metroid Prime 2

Xbox360 and Playstation 3 are too expensive (in my opinion) right now, and since I own a Xbox and Playstation 2 already, I'll still have value left in the original consules. If Nintendo DS could play on Wii, that would really be the turning point. Dylan says Wii doesn't have many good games, although friends that have the system (and Gamespot) suggest otherwise.

I was referring to the DS. I plan to purchase a Wii myself.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)

Yeah, not yet though. My guess is that it would start next month with the release of WarioWare Wii. Not sure how they will incorporate one another, but I guess eventually the Wii will act as a download center for the DS where you will be able to download DS demos and other things right onto DS from your Wii.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)

-External Darkness

-Resident Evil

-Super Mario Sunshine

-Metroid Prime

-Metroid Prime 2

Eternal Darkness, is one heck of a mindtrip scary videogame. I dont want to let the cat out of the bag when it comes to your sanity meter going overboard, but I will warn you that some weird stuff starts happening. I own the game, and I love it. Really creepy storyline and the way it is presented is really cool. I definitely recommend that game.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
Eternal Darkness, is one heck of a mindtrip scary videogame. I dont want to let the cat out of the bag when it comes to your sanity meter going overboard, but I will warn you that some weird stuff starts happening. I own the game, and I love it. Really creepy storyline and the way it is presented is really cool. I definitely recommend that game.

Mmhmm.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)

I'm a huge fan of survival horror video games. When Eternal Darkness came out several years ago I was tempted to buy the Gamecube counsel solely because of it. Several magazines reviews I read labeled it the best game within the entire genre. 40 hours as gameplay, as IGN estimated, is unbelievable when you consider most Silent Hill/Resident Evil games run under 20. Perhaps the only competitor (which I haven't yet played, but asked for a Christmas gift) is Resident Evil 4.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 04:15 AM)
I'm a huge fan of survival horror video games. When Eternal Darkness came out several years ago I was tempted to buy the Gamecube counsel solely because of it. Several magazines reviews I read labeled it the best game within the entire genre. 40 hours as gameplay, as IGN estimated, is unbelievable when you consider most Silent Hill/Resident Evil games run under 20. Perhaps the only competitor (which I haven't yet played, but asked for a Christmas gift) is Resident Evil 4.

RE4 is awesome. Right now their offering it in a package with REmake, and RE Zero for $40. Not a bad deal at all.

EDIT: Forgot you don't have a Cube though, so that plan is voided.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood