Advertising

Texsox

Does anyone really talk to their brooms and mops? In an informal survey of daytime tv advertising, companies seem to think the public has an average IQ hovering around room temperature. What makes a successful advertising campaign with you?

I was going to reply sooner, but my computer just won't shut up.... :D

The only successful advertising for me is an ad that shows me something for sale that I didn't know about already. The content of the ad never sways me in a positive way - it can only prevent me from buying their product if the ad is too stupid or insulting.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
I was going to reply sooner, but my computer just won't shut up.... :D

The only successful advertising for me is an ad that shows me something for sale that I didn't know about already. The content of the ad never sways me in a positive way - it can only prevent me from buying their product if the ad is too stupid or insulting.

I find this to be true with one notable exception: Taco Bell commercials. There's just something about those commercials that always get me hankering for some Taco Bell. Especially their awesome green onions.

Successful advertising depends on the goal of the ad campaign. Is branding the goal? Driving traffic? Positioning the product/company as a community partner?

Most TV is brand oriented advertising, building the customer's recognition of the brand with repitition. It can be done in many ways, including humor. The more a person sees and hears the brand, the more likely it will be factored in when that customer is making buying decisions. Finding a way to make the customer associate the product/company with something of interest is another way of being effective. An example would be coaches/celebrity endorsements.

Ads to drive traffic tend to be more specific in where they are placed, unless they are done by a widely national company (McDonald's monopoly game, for example). Targeting a specific audience can make advertising for a smaller company more effective. Often they are regional or local companies rather than national. For example, a sporting goods retailer advertising on a fishing show or marketing baseball equipment during baseball games.

Often times a company is merely intending to associate their company with the community. This is often done by banks, hospitals, etc., often with local sponsorships rather than broad TV ads.

These types of advertising can be combined. Not all ads are simply one of the three, but these are the most common goals of an ad campaign.

That answer your question? lol

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
I find this to be true with one notable exception: Taco Bell commercials. There's just something about those commercials that always get me hankering for some Taco Bell. Especially their awesome green onions.

Enjoy that e-coli. :D

I actually took a marketing class in high school and we were taught what makes a good ad and what makes a bad ad. Then we got to create our own newspaper, magazine, radio and TV advertisements. Naturally, I've forgotten most of what I learned in that class...

Often when I complain about a stupid or annoying commercial I hear the comment, "well the commercial must have worked because you remembered their product!" Which is true, but usually they annoy me so that I make it a point to never buy their product.

I'm always amused at the ones that have catchy jingles that I can always remember, but can't remember the actual product it was advertising.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
I actually took a marketing class in high school and we were taught what makes a good ad and what makes a bad ad. Then we got to create our own newspaper, magazine, radio and TV advertisements. Naturally, I've forgotten most of what I learned in that class...

Often when I complain about a stupid or annoying commercial I hear the comment, "well the commercial must have worked because you remembered their product!" Which is true, but usually they annoy me so that I make it a point to never buy their product.

I'm always amused at the ones that have catchy jingles that I can always remember, but can't remember the actual product it was advertising.

Actually, there's a pretty cool memory phenomon that I think the advertising world relies on called the "Mere Exposure Effect." Basically, this effect is that stimuli that have been presented before will be rated as more pleasant than novel stimuli. So, just the exposure to an ad will increase the likelihood that you will purchase that product. Totally unconcious of course, but interesting nonetheless.

I work for an "integrated marketing agency" (see: advertising) and let me tell you...it's a friggin' crapshoot.

Nothing works for everyone and you'd be hard pressed to get someone to completely commit to the thought that advertising DIRECTLY affects sales.

To me, it's selling crap to people who don't need it and it certainly isn't rocket science...

...but it pays the bills!!!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
Nothing works for everyone and you'd be hard pressed to get someone to completely commit to the thought that advertising DIRECTLY affects sales.

You are correct that it is VERY difficult to tie specific advertising to an increase in sales. But it is pretty widely accepted that as soon as you stop advertising, sales go down.

How to best spend advertising dollars and measure their effectiveness is next to impossible unless you have a very targeted campaign to drive traffic with a specific promotion. And that, is what makes advertising so random and why ad companies use words like impressions, exposure, etc. I had a guy today trying to sell me on the effectiveness of advertising on grocery carts. He was talking about how radio is not good because not everyone listens to the same station. I guess he forgot that not everyone goes to the same grocery store. It was comical anyway.

Victorias Secret has probably the greatest commercials ever made. Remember when they released the first one of their current style a few years ago. Holy camoly! I was running out to buy myself bras for crying outloud! Probably the "sexiest" commercials to ever hit the airwaves. I should look for those on You Tube.

The commercials that make me the most angry are the hanes underwear commercials.

I saw one with a bunch of guys wearing boxer briefs ONLY playing of all things dodgeball. What the hell is going on in Hanes advertising department.

I can only imagine some hotshot advertiser sitting in a board room with a bunch of suits and then he stands up and yells "I got it, dodge ball"

They all look around at each other awaiting approval then the old man at the head of the table stands up and goes "I like it, lets get the ball rolling"

Im assuming that its a similair pitch that was made to the executives that produced that laffy taffy song.

No, I will not be buying this product.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
You are correct that it is VERY difficult to tie specific advertising to an increase in sales. But it is pretty widely accepted that as soon as you stop advertising, sales go down.

How to best spend advertising dollars and measure their effectiveness is next to impossible unless you have a very targeted campaign to drive traffic with a specific promotion. And that, is what makes advertising so random and why ad companies use words like impressions, exposure, etc. I had a guy today trying to sell me on the effectiveness of advertising on grocery carts. He was talking about how radio is not good because not everyone listens to the same station. I guess he forgot that not everyone goes to the same grocery store. It was comical anyway.

Yes, but there are companies that have very limited advertising or don't advertise at all...who, you ask?

Whole Foods. Not a thing and look at their success.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Yes, but there are companies that have very limited advertising or don't advertise at all...who, you ask?

Whole Foods. Not a thing and look at their success.

Never heard of Whole Foods. And my comments never said advertising was the be all, end all in business. There are tons of factors that can affect a company or products success. You can have great ads, great sales but if your business is not run effectively and your costs are way out of whack, then you won't be profitable. But that doesn't mean advertising is at fault.

The basic premise is still true. Have an ad budget and then cut it back and see what happens. Most of the time, absent other factors (technological advantages, competitive advantages in logistics, location, etc.), sales will go down.