Best Female Singers/Bands with a Female Front Woman

sox4lifeinPA

Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company; "Piece of my Heart" & "Ball and Chain"

Lydia Pense/Cold Blood: "You Got Me Hummin'"

Gayle McCormick/Smith: "Baby It's You"

and the best ever...Arlene Smith/The Chantels: "Maybe"

Edit. How could I forget Sandy Denny/Fairport Convention? Pick any song, maybe "Matty Groves". She was also the only guest singer Led Zeppelin ever recruited ("The Battle of Evermore").

Edited by BigEdWalsh

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company; "Piece of my Heart" & "Ball and Chain"

Lydia Pense/Cold Blood: "You Got Me Hummin'"

Gayle McCormick/Smith: "Baby It's You"

and the best ever...Arlene Smith/The Chantels: "Maybe"

Edit. How could I forget Sandy Denny/Fairport Convention? Pick any song, maybe "Matty Groves". She was also the only guest singer Led Zeppelin ever recruited ("The Battle of Evermore").

Yes, Sandy was awesome. Died way too young. Amd actually, just like a lot of Richard Thompson's best stuff is post-Fairport, I think I like the Fotheringray and non-Fairport Denny stuff better than the Fairport stuff. I'm biased, though, because I jumped into Fairport midstream and after Richard had moved on, mostly to see what Dave Pegg was doing when he wasn't playing bass for Tull.

And speaking of Tull/Fairport/Steeleye Span and such, Maddy Prior is another of the amazing famale folk-rock vocalists nobody knows about but should.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Yes, Sandy was awesome. Died way too young. Amd actually, just like a lot of Richard Thompson's best stuff is post-Fairport, I think I like the Fotheringray and non-Fairport Denny stuff better than the Fairport stuff. I'm biased, though, because I jumped into Fairport midstream and after Richard had moved on, mostly to see what Dave Pegg was doing when he wasn't playing bass for Tull.

And speaking of Tull/Fairport/Steeleye Span and such, Maddy Prior is another of the amazing famale folk-rock vocalists nobody knows about but should.

^^^^ what the hell did he just say? Does this make sense to anyone??

:D :lolhitting

I kid because I care™

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 07:16 AM)
Debbie Harry was once upon a time hot. But man, did Blondie suck.

Loved her in the theme song to Polyester.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
:lol: Yoko Ono :lol:

I totally totally agree. "Kiss Kiss Kiss" and "Walking on Thin Ice" are freakin still hot today.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Man, you guys are forgetting some of the best ones:

The Weather Girls

I liked them better as "Two Tons of Fun"

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
Loved her in the theme song to Polyester.

Now that's someone making sense. Talking about a singer in a band that someone outside of their immediate family has heard of. :cheers

BTW, Joan Hammel should be on the list as well. Give it to me Straight would be a nice selection.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
^^^^ what the hell did he just say? Does this make sense to anyone??

:D :lolhitting

I kid because I care™

Made sense to me. :huh

Yet another chick singer in that same English folk/rock vein that nobody knows about but should was Polly Bolton with Dando Shaft.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
Made sense to me. :huh

Yet another chick singer in that same English folk/rock vein that nobody knows about but should was Polly Bolton with Dando Shaft.

I like to kid Jim, at his age I think he just starts making up names and stuff. Now we know we have two people with the same dillusions :D

How have you been Ed?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
I like to kid Jim, at his age I think he just starts making up names and stuff. Now we know we have two people with the same dillusions :D

How have you been Ed?

Fine, thanks. Been on here all the time, just not posting much.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Fine, thanks. Been on here all the time, just not posting much.

I've been doing a bunch of work that requires internet research and being on the computer so I have a chance to post a little. Is it getting cold up your way?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
I've been doing a bunch of work that requires internet research and being on the computer so I have a chance to post a little. Is it getting cold up your way?

Too cold. I thought they had mild winters here. I was wrong. Not as bad as Chicago/Wisconsin winters, but bad enough.

And hey, where's the love for Dee Dee Sharp? Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, anyone?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
It this going to happen?

working on it. To those wishing to participate: You will be responsible for acquiring all 32 songs in order to accurately judge.... we prefer legal means, but we're not judging that part of the competition.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
Are you trying to limit the genre? Comparing anything from the Pretenders with Karen Carpenter or Lena Horn (BTW you are including Koko Taylor aren't you?) just seems wrong.

they'll be 4 brackets of 8.... I'll need help with genres but I imagine that Pop, Rock, Folk/Country would amongst the 4.

thoughts?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
they'll be 4 brackets of 8.... I'll need help with genres but I imagine that Pop, Rock, Folk/Country would amongst the 4.

thoughts?

where would you put Amy Grant and Koko Taylor? Etta James? Bessie Smith? Janis Joplin?

Oops and you really need to include Denyce Graves. Geek alert I know, but if you ever hear her as Carmen, it is like heaven opened the gates. She is beautiful and an incredible talent. But it's opera and no one here really enjoys the craft.

DGhome.jpg